Aida on Smalltalk/X

Rob Rothwell
I recently torture tested Squeak, VisualWorks, and Smalltalk/X with a simple but intense text file conversion utility and VisualWorks was the only one left standing "out of the box."  That doesn't mean that the others are not capable, but they each have their strengths, and for a novice "business" programmer, VW seems good if we can afford the license.

However, I am intrigued enough by Smalltalk/X for future consideration and wondered how hard it would be to get Aida running on it, and was wondering if anyone has tried yet or has some pointers.  The image I have has some Seaside stuff in it, but Swazoo isn't even present, so I imagine I would need to start there!

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Aida on Smalltalk/X

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

Smalltalk/X port of Aida is quite far already, done so far by James
Hayes, who worked with Exept in the past. Port will be finished by
Jaroslav Havlin, a student from Prague, because he will use Aida in ST/X
for his diploma work.

You can therefore confidently try Smalltalk/X too. I also like to have
Aida there, because ST/X is a good Smalltalk and it is worth our support!

Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I recently torture tested Squeak, VisualWorks, and Smalltalk/X with a
> simple but intense text file conversion utility and VisualWorks was the
> only one left standing "out of the box."  That doesn't mean that the
> others are not capable, but they each have their strengths, and for a
> novice "business" programmer, VW seems good if we can afford the license.
>
> However, I am intrigued enough by Smalltalk/X for future consideration
> and wondered how hard it would be to get Aida running on it, and was
> wondering if anyone has tried yet or has some pointers.  The image I
> have has some Seaside stuff in it, but Swazoo isn't even present, so I
> imagine I would need to start there!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Smalltalk/X

Rob Rothwell
On 5/6/08, Jaroslav Havlín <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Rob,

as Janko said, I am going to try to port Aida/Web to Smalltalk/X, because I would like to use it as a part of my diploma work.
Unfortunately I have to finish my current school projects now, so I will start working on it probably at the beginning of July.
I will let you know as soon as I have some news.

Thanks for the information.

Let me know if there is any "grunt work" I could do to help you (I have neither a Web Server or Web Programming background)?

Rob