[AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

[AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Kjell Godo
Hello

The following code from the tutorial at:
http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html

doesn't work:

    viewMain
        | e |
        e := WebElement new.
        e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
        self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'

because WebApplication>>pageFrameWith:title:

does not exist.  Please tell me how to fix this.

Also: Does anyone know how to port non GUI
generic Dolphin Smalltalk code over to Squeak?
Is there an easy automated way to do it?  And visa versa
from Squeak to Dolphin?

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Herbert König
Hi Kjell,

KG> The following code from the tutorial at:
KG> http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html

KG>     viewMain
KG>         | e |
KG>         e := WebElement new.
KG>         e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
KG>         self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'

In older versions (sure about 5.6) this would work because
WebApplication would use DNU to redirect this to WebStyle.

So you might try

self style pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'

Otherwise you might have forgotten to register the app like.

(AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL:

I write this from memory, so no warranties.

Please tell us which versions you use.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Janko Mivšek
Hi Kjell,

First welcome to the list! About the tutorial, yes, we forget to upgrade
it for Aida 6.0. I just did that upgrade and all needed is to change the
last line in every view method:

        self style pageFrameWith:title:

In 6.0 there is an explicit delegation to the so called style class
(DefaultWebStyle in default case) which holds everything from layout (as
#pageFrameWith: is for) to CSS, images, also JavaScript etc.

Hope this helps
Janko

Kjell Godo pravi:

> Hello
>
> The following code from the tutorial at:
> http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html
>
> doesn't work:
>
>     viewMain
>         | e |
>         e := WebElement new.
>         e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
>         self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'
>
> because WebApplication>>pageFrameWith:title:
>
> does not exist.  Please tell me how to fix this.
>
> Also: Does anyone know how to port non GUI
> generic Dolphin Smalltalk code over to Squeak?
> Is there an easy automated way to do it?  And visa versa
> from Squeak to Dolphin?

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Kjell Godo
Hello Janko

I just downloaded the Damien webdevelopment images of Squeak and the
standard Squeak 3.10 for Windows package.

I searched for >>pageFrameWith:title: in the Damien image

in there but still couldn't find it.  So this was a big puzzle but then I found
>>doesNotUnderstand:
which forwards the messages to the style.  I also found this in Dolphin AidaWeb.

So are you going away from the >>doesNotUnderstand: way
in the new version?  ( I just saw the compiler warning in Dolphin
but I did not actually try the demo code out.  So I guess it probably
works.  The tutorial probably works.  I haven't tried it.  It just causes
a compiler warning in Dolphin. )

2009/9/13 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Kjell,
>
> First welcome to the list! About the tutorial, yes, we forget to upgrade
> it for Aida 6.0. I just did that upgrade and all needed is to change the
> last line in every view method:
>
>        self style pageFrameWith:title:
>
> In 6.0 there is an explicit delegation to the so called style class
> (DefaultWebStyle in default case) which holds everything from layout (as
> #pageFrameWith: is for) to CSS, images, also JavaScript etc.
>
> Hope this helps
> Janko
>
> Kjell Godo pravi:
>> Hello
>>
>> The following code from the tutorial at:
>> http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html
>>
>> doesn't work:
>>
>>     viewMain
>>         | e |
>>         e := WebElement new.
>>         e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
>>         self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'
>>
>> because WebApplication>>pageFrameWith:title:
>>
>> does not exist.  Please tell me how to fix this.
>>
>> Also: Does anyone know how to port non GUI
>> generic Dolphin Smalltalk code over to Squeak?
>> Is there an easy automated way to do it?  And visa versa
>> from Squeak to Dolphin?

> Janko Mivšek
> Svetovalec za informatiko
> Eranova d.o.o.
> Ljubljana, Slovenija
> www.eranova.si
> tel:  01 514 22 55
> faks: 01 514 22 56
> gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Kjell Godo
I am using the Dolphin version that I downloaded yesterday or so.
I see how the >>doesNotUnderstand: is forwarding the messages
to the style.  It is doing it in Dolphin too.  I didn't see any version
numbers in the Dolphin version.

2009/9/13 Herbert König <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Kjell,
>

> KG> The following code from the tutorial at:
> KG> http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html
>

> KG>     viewMain
> KG>         | e |
> KG>         e := WebElement new.
> KG>         e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
> KG>         self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'
>
> In older versions (sure about 5.6) this would work because
> WebApplication would use DNU to redirect this to WebStyle.
>
> So you might try
>
> self style pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'
>
> Otherwise you might have forgotten to register the app like.
>
> (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL:
>
> I write this from memory, so no warranties.
>
> Please tell us which versions you use.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Herbert König
Hi Kjell,

KG> I am using the Dolphin version that I downloaded yesterday or so.
I see how the >>>doesNotUnderstand: is forwarding the messages
KG> to the style.  It is doing it in Dolphin too.  I didn't see any version
KG> numbers in the Dolphin version.

sorry I know nothing about Dolphin, except the port is not up to date.
But sending the message to Style directly should work in older and
younger versions.

So if it still doesn't work, please make sure the site is running
SwazooAida demoStart  and registered
(AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL: '/addressbook.html' forObject: book

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Janko Mivšek
Herbert König pravi:

> KG> I am using the Dolphin version that I downloaded yesterday or so.
> I see how the >>>doesNotUnderstand: is forwarding the messages
> KG> to the style.  It is doing it in Dolphin too.  I didn't see any version
> KG> numbers in the Dolphin version.
>
> sorry I know nothing about Dolphin, except the port is not up to date.
> But sending the message to Style directly should work in older and
> younger versions.
>
> So if it still doesn't work, please make sure the site is running
> SwazooAida demoStart  and registered
> (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL: '/addressbook.html' forObject: book

I just checked: There is Aida 5.0 from 2006 on Dolphin and it obviously
needs an upgrade. Which can be done if someone from Dolphin community
promises to maintain the port. Kjell, would you be willing to take that
role?

To port the latest 6.0 to Dolphin can be easy, because Swazoo 2.2 is
recently ported during the latest Seaside port.

All needed is to move Aida code to Dolphin and adapt methods which have
"Squeak specific" or "VW specific" in comments. The most complex part
are so called "climbing on the stack" methods, which get references to
current request or session from a stack using thisContext pseudo variable.

But this was done on previous Dolphin port already, so it won't be hard
to adapt to current version as well.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Janko Mivšek
Kjell Godo pravi:

> I just downloaded the Damien webdevelopment images of Squeak and the
> standard Squeak 3.10 for Windows package.
>
> I searched for >>pageFrameWith:title: in the Damien image
>
> in there but still couldn't find it.  So this was a big puzzle but then I found
>>> doesNotUnderstand:
> which forwards the messages to the style.  I also found this in Dolphin AidaWeb.
>
> So are you going away from the >>doesNotUnderstand: way
> in the new version?  ( I just saw the compiler warning in Dolphin
> but I did not actually try the demo code out.  So I guess it probably
> works.  The tutorial probably works.  I haven't tried it.  It just causes
> a compiler warning in Dolphin. )

Yep, no DNU way of delegation to WebStyle because it was confusing to
use and specially debug, as you did observer by yourself. Se the
explicit self style pageFrameWith: is now mandatory. As Herber aready
suggested, in older Aida versions just add 'style' to that last line.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

BrunoBB
Hi all,

I'm currently developing an application which I want to add web interface
with AIDA 6. I will port AIDA 6 to Dolphin but I have no time table, I think
I will start at the end of this year.

In the long term AIDA 6 will run on DNG, but NO time table. The port of AIDA
6 to Dolphin 6.1 will start at the end of this year.

This is what I offer for now.

Regards,
Bruno

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si
17:50:00

Re: [aida] [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Kjell Godo
I'm sorry but this is another long post.

I would like to port AidaWeb to Dolphin.  And maintain the port.  If
someone else is going to make this port then I would like to help
them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The rest is below . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But I am busy right now.  I don't know when I will start working on
AidaWeb again.

I would like to make an educational website using AidaWeb and/or
Seaside in Dolphin professional.  ( dolphinPlug: I think paying for
the Dolphin Smalltalk professional license is highly worth it.  I like
the IdeaSpace and SystemBrowser etc etc etc that you get when you buy
a license.  The whole thing is very very extra very cool.  But you can
only see it if you pay. )

Things I have to do: daily investing/trading, picoLARC, Anatomy class.

I can't do AidaWeb yet.  Eventually I would like to switch from
working 100% on picoLARC to 100% on AidaWeb.

I am working on picoLARC which you can see on sourceforge.net .  I am
putting all my programming time into getting picoLARC to compile a
short demo program( with recursive tail call optimization ) and then
animate the evaluation of the program in a tree view.  After I can get
that to work I would like to start working on the website/internet
side of things.

That means Dolphin AidaWeb as far as I can tell.

I have gotten the picoLARC demo program to compile.  I don't know how
long the program animation process will take to debug and finish up.
It takes me a long time to finish something but once it is finished
there mostly are no errors left.  I keep stepping through it using the
Dolphin Professional debugger making sure it works like I think it
should. ( A Dolphin plug.  Up with Andy! )

When I get the .exe finished of the demo I would like to publish it on
sourceforge.net .   Search on picoLARC.

Then you can see it.  Maybe then you might join me?  Or ask me what
the hell it is about.  I'll come back for sure.  I'll put it on the
calendar.  I won't be like I was.  Like I am.  Like I will be.  On the
calendar that i don't look at.

I would like to make a website based on AidaWeb or Seaside.  When you
first visit this website you can download a Dolphin Professional
created .exe file which connects back to the website or Dolphin
professional based internet server.  The .exe implements an online
extreme programming environment based on picoLARC.  The purpose of the
website is to teach programming. etc.  I would like to make a game
that you play by programming.  But I don't know how to design the game
play.  ( I keep saying Dolphin Professional because I want you to buy
it. )

If anyone has any ideas about how to make a game that you play by
programming I would like to hear about it.

If anyone finds this website idea interesting and would like to help
build it I would like to hear about it.

Teaching programming is just the start.

When the website is built there will be various programming projects
that people can join.

They can engage in extreme programming together online.  In picoLARC.

I think that if we can get this to work.  It will be a very
intoxicating way to program.  Very addictive.

picoLARC may be slow now.  But with people working on it doing extreme
programming online together it will quickly surpass all other
programming systems for speed and expressiveness.  There just won't be
any comparison.  Because if people have a language that they like like
Haskel or Ocaml they can just implement a dialect in picoLARC Lisp.
And that dialect will gain by mixing in all the other picoLARC
dialects.  Etc etc etc.  There just will not be any comparison between
picoLARC and any other language system.  You know it.  All you need to
do is believe it now.

picoLARC is the borg.

Here are some programming projects that you could join on the extreme
programming website.

One of the picoLARC programming projects will be to make an assembler
that uses picoLARC Lisp syntax for the front end of the assembler.  I
have started such a thing in Dolphin Smalltalk.  It implements all the
Intel addressing modes.  It implements the ADD instruction.  It
generates the proper machine codes according to ollydbg.  Hopefully
new instructions can be added easily.  So the idea would be to convert
the Smalltalk into picoLARC.  The idea would be to use the assembler
to make dynamic byte interpreters for picoLARC that would be fast.
The byte interpreters would be inside of the Dolphin Smalltalk image
of the .exe that you download from the teaching website.

Another project is to make a programming game.  Maybe it would be text
based or maybe it would incorporate the 3D animation thing that Andy
Bower is making for Dolphin.  I would like the extreme programming
website to promote Dolphin.  In a way that Andy could stomach.  ( I
think my Aspergerishness offends Andy.  And why wouldn't it.  Andy is
probably normal.  But I'm not.  So that would be offensive.  I don't
interact in the normal way.  And that's offensive.  I say a lot of
things kind of at random.  And that's offensive.  I spent a lot of
time on this post.  But then I won't read any of the answers.  And
That's offensive.  I have said a lot of random things in the past.
And that's offensive.  But you have to look at me again.  You should.
)  People would be encouraged to download the free Dolphin in order to
find out about all the things that picoLARC can use in the Dolphin
image.  They would be encouraged to buy the professional version of
Dolphin and make DLLs that the picoLARC .exe could link to.

picoLARC will have an App store.  And a component store.   picoLARC
and Dolphin Smalltalk will become like an operating system.

There will be a picoPayment system inside of picoLARC that pays people
to make new components and apps.  There is a component manager inside
of picoLARC that allows competing components to be instantiated.
Instead of referencing Classes to make new instances of Objects you
reference the component manager and tell it what to make.  At runtime.
 The component manager creates all new Smalltalk Objects for picoLARC.
 So it's easy to make competing components that can be configured at
runtime.  The component manager is really really simple also.  It
should be called the

Smalltalk Runtime Component Manager Pattern.

A Kent Beck reference is here.  This new SRCM pattern says it is
better than saying
( InsertClassNameHere new )
instead you say
( ComponentManager newInstanceOf: #InsertClassNameHere )
or a faster way:
( ComponentManager newInstanceOf: 57"InsertClassNameHere" )

It's a better way than >>new .  And you should use it in your
Smalltalk from now on.  Now that you know about it.  That way you can
make all your Smalltalk software highly user configurable in a way
that other languages can't or don't do.  Kent Beck would approve.

Back to the programming game idea.

I don't know how to design the game play aspects of such a programming
game.  If there are any game designers out there who would like to
help.  I would like to know about it.  I don't know if I will know
about it.  But I would like to.  Right here and now I would like to.
But the future will whip me around like a sleep tornado.  And I don't
know if I will or not.  I'll try.  I'll put it on the calendar.  I
have a calendar inside of Dolphin Smalltalk Professional that I also
don't look at.  ( Another plug for Dolphin Professional.  I hope you
buy it.  $475.  It's worth it.  It's for a good cause.  You won't even
notice the money is gone.  If you get it.  You will be happy.  I
guarantee it.  It's a pie crust guarantee but even so.  I got it and I
was happy.  I'm still happy.  You will be happy too.  The free version
is cool.  But the professional version is like twice or 3 times
better.  Even than that. )

Now I want to tell about myself.  And maybe explain why I sound
different.  Maybe you can know me and understand me better.

I am Asperger.  I don't do electronic communications very well yet.  I
have a lot of ideas.  I think the ideas will be good.  But I have
troubles implementing them.  I have troubles staying on track.

I tend to write too much in an e-mail or post.  And that takes up all
the time.  There is none left for anything else.  That is the way that
I am.  I can't seem to stop it.  So after I write the e-mail or post I
tend to avoid e-mail after that until the next time that I post again.
 Oh well.  I will try to keep going.  I know what is wrong.  I can't
seem to change it.  But I will try to keep going.  I will try to
interact in a more normal way.  I'll put it on the calendar.  I hope
that you will be polite anyway.  So that you can train me to keep
coming back again.

Now I start talking about the picoLARC project in a more global way.

There are lots of older people who can't find work now.  I wonder if
any of them might like to work on a project like this.  I wonder if
there are any people who are good at getting venture capital who might
like to get money so that we might get paid to work on a project like
this.  People who are good at making a business plan.

I will publish the demo.

I will try to make a demo website that publishes the demo .exe .  I
will try to do the website in AidaWeb.

I want to own picoLARC myself at first.  But eventually picoLARC will
be completely written in picoLARC and then it will be MIT open source.
 I hope it will become the dominant programming system.  It is able to
be that because it will contain every other language as dialects of
picoLARC Lisp.  picoLARC Lisp is a combination of Smalltalk and Scheme
Lisp.  It is a language that is built to contain every other language.
 It is the language of all languages.  Like the Set of all Sets.  It
creates a paradox.  And the paradox is that you won't be able to
program in anything else.  And you can mix all the picoLARC dialects
together like in the Cola language only in a more general Lisp way
than Cola does it.  And you can make automated Programmers that create
new picoLARC code at runtime using Object Oriented Lisp macros.  So
the picoLARC AssemblerLisp can be hooked up to the other picoLARC
dialects to generate stand alone .exe files and .dll files.  Or .net
files.  or .java files. etc. etc.

Well that's the dream anyway.  I am good at dreaming.  If I can get
connected with people who are good at doing I think that like the
tower of Babylon there is nothing that can stop us.  The Set of all
Sets is on our side.  In other words YHWH.  ( Don't pronounce it. )
The Y operator.

The dream is that Google will have to give up Python and use picoLARC
PythonLisp.  And Microsoft will have to give up C# and use picoLARC
C#Lisp or picoLARC C-Lisp( a dialect of Lisp that is very C like ).

2009/9/14 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Herbert König pravi:
>
>> KG> I am using the Dolphin version that I downloaded yesterday or so.
>> I see how the >>>doesNotUnderstand: is forwarding the messages
>> KG> to the style.  It is doing it in Dolphin too.  I didn't see any version
>> KG> numbers in the Dolphin version.
>>
>> sorry I know nothing about Dolphin, except the port is not up to date.
>> But sending the message to Style directly should work in older and
>> younger versions.
>>
>> So if it still doesn't work, please make sure the site is running
>> SwazooAida demoStart  and registered
>> (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL: '/addressbook.html' forObject: book
>
> I just checked: There is Aida 5.0 from 2006 on Dolphin and it obviously
> needs an upgrade. Which can be done if someone from Dolphin community
> promises to maintain the port. Kjell, would you be willing to take that
> role?
>
> To port the latest 6.0 to Dolphin can be easy, because Swazoo 2.2 is
> recently ported during the latest Seaside port.
>
> All needed is to move Aida code to Dolphin and adapt methods which have
> "Squeak specific" or "VW specific" in comments. The most complex part
> are so called "climbing on the stack" methods, which get references to
> current request or session from a stack using thisContext pseudo variable.
>
> But this was done on previous Dolphin port already, so it won't be hard
> to adapt to current version as well.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [aida] [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWeb tutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Herbert König
Hi Kjell,

KG> I would like to port AidaWeb to Dolphin.  And maintain the port.  If
KG> someone else is going to make this port then I would like to help
KG> them.

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco <[hidden email]> is doing / has done a
Dolphin port so you might want to contact him.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [aida] [AidaWeb]( picoVerse-:( A problem with the AidaWebtutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

BrunoBB
Hi,

I'm about to start the port of AIDA 6. I will use the Swazoo and Sport from
the Seaside port for Dolphin (http://www.infoil.com.ar/seaside/).

If you want send me an email, if you need it quickly.
I think I will finish it by March next year (may be sooner).

Regards,
Bruno

AidaWebtutorial with the Dolphin version of AidaWeb ) )

Hi Kjell,

KG> I would like to port AidaWeb to Dolphin.  And maintain the port.  If
KG> someone else is going to make this port then I would like to help
KG> them.

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco <[hidden email]> is doing / has done a
Dolphin port so you might want to contact him.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

07:38:00