Aidaweb on Pharo 3

Andy Burnett
Hello,

Any idea when there will be a 3.0 compatible version?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Aidaweb on Pharo 3

Janko Mivšek
Hi Andy,

I don't see much interest on Aida on Pharo, but anyway, I'll release a
v6.7 Aida before ESUG conf and if there will be a time, a Pharo version too.

Best regards
Janko

Dne 12. 06. 2014 01:30, piše Andy Burnett:
> Hello,
>
> Any idea when there will be a 3.0 compatible version?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Re: Aidaweb on Pharo 3

Andy Burnett
<<
Hi Andy,

I don't see much interest on Aida on Pharo, but anyway, I'll release a
v6.7 Aida before ESUG conf and if there will be a time, a Pharo version too.

Best regards
Janko

Hi Janko,

I see your point. I hadn't realised that Aida was less popular on Pharo.  My interest in a Pharo 3 version was just because I like the way their toolset is developing. And, I particularly like the look of the Moose browsers.

As an alternative, I could try developing on Gemstone. Does Aidaweb offer the realtime support on Gemstone too?

Also, the reason I am asking these questions is that I want to develop a - relatively simple - web app which will allow groups of people to create, and manage, virtual post-it notes in realtime.  I am torn between technologies. On the one hand, systems such as Meteor seem to offer a good stack, but the tools are weak, and you have to write in Javascript. On the other hand Aidaweb seems to let me write everything in smalltalk, but I am not sure whether I can get the same level of client side interactivity, as easily, if I write everything server side.

What are your thoughts on the different approaches?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Aidaweb on Pharo 3

garduino
Hi!

This is an interesting question Andy, I'm also working with Meteor (being myself a long time Smalltalker) because as a freelance, lot of times I need to use the tools that the customers wants. And in the last times I saw an increasing demand of this sort of tools (Some JS framework - NodeJS - MongoDO (or other noSql)).

Of course, I miss a lot the Smalltalk style of work, but, also I must point some strengths in this client based style of development.

As a friend said, seems that the times of server centric applications is gone... (?)

Thanks for make this question, I also want to know the opinions of the other smalltalkers here.

<<
[...]

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com