AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

squeak-dev-noreply

Esteban Lorenzano uploaded a new version of VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin to project AioPlugin:
http://www.squeaksource.com/AioPlugin/VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

Name: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19
Author: EstebanLorenzano
Time: 26 May 2016, 1:56:31.823249 pm
UUID: 6608ce78-afce-4d1b-9061-f24c6492c36c
Ancestors: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-eem.18

replace cCode: '' with cCode:[]

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

EstebanLM

yeah, but now I saw lots of translations are missing too… so this needs some iterations :(

> On 26 May 2016, at 13:56, [hidden email] wrote:
>

> Esteban Lorenzano uploaded a new version of VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin to project AioPlugin:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/AioPlugin/VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

> Name: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19
> Author: EstebanLorenzano
> Time: 26 May 2016, 1:56:31.823249 pm
> UUID: 6608ce78-afce-4d1b-9061-f24c6492c36c
> Ancestors: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-eem.18
>
> replace cCode: '' with cCode:[]

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

David T. Lewis

Hi Esteban,

I missed the discussion here, but this does not look like a good change. The
values of AIO_R, AIO_W, and AIO_X are declared in a header file in the platforms
sources. They should also not be hard-coded in the image, which is what happens
when you define them as class variables in AioPlugin.

Also, the change cannot be loaded without enabling the "Allow underscores
selectors" preference.

Dave

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 02:45:24PM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> yeah, but now I saw lots of translations are missing too??? so this needs some iterations :(
>
> > On 26 May 2016, at 13:56, [hidden email] wrote:
> >

> > Esteban Lorenzano uploaded a new version of VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin to project AioPlugin:
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/AioPlugin/VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

> > Name: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19
> > Author: EstebanLorenzano
> > Time: 26 May 2016, 1:56:31.823249 pm
> > UUID: 6608ce78-afce-4d1b-9061-f24c6492c36c
> > Ancestors: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-eem.18
> >
> > replace cCode: '' with cCode:[]

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

Ben Coman

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Esteban,
>
> I missed the discussion here, but this does not look like a good change. The
> values of AIO_R, AIO_W, and AIO_X are declared in a header file in the platforms
> sources. They should also not be hard-coded in the image, which is what happens
> when you define them as class variables in AioPlugin.

What is the preferred way to synchronise header values between the
platform sources and the Image?

cheers -ben

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 05:29:03AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Esteban,
> >
> > I missed the discussion here, but this does not look like a good change. The
> > values of AIO_R, AIO_W, and AIO_X are declared in a header file in the platforms
> > sources. They should also not be hard-coded in the image, which is what happens
> > when you define them as class variables in AioPlugin.
>
> What is the preferred way to synchronise header values between the
> platform sources and the Image?

Do not do that. Do not attempt to synchonize them. Use the actual values
in the header files. Do not assume that they will never change, and do not
assume that they they will be the same on all platforms.

For example, you can write this, because it invokes the actual C language
definition of 'AIO_X' as defined in an external header file, and it uses 4
as a default for VM simulation:

    flags := flags bitOr: (self cCode: 'AIO_W' inSmalltalk: [4])

But you should not write the following, where AIO_X is a class var set to 4.
It looks prettier, but it is wrong because the value of AIO_W is hard coded
in a class initialization in the image:

    flags := flags bitOr: AIO_W

Pretty code is nice, but it is more important that it be correct.

Dave

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

EstebanLM

yes, I was trying to “fix” a problem that emerged with a commit from Eliot that was forbidding strings in cCode:… but that is already properly fixed, so this package should be removed.

Esteban

> On 28 May 2016, at 04:17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 05:29:03AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Esteban,
>>>
>>> I missed the discussion here, but this does not look like a good change. The
>>> values of AIO_R, AIO_W, and AIO_X are declared in a header file in the platforms
>>> sources. They should also not be hard-coded in the image, which is what happens
>>> when you define them as class variables in AioPlugin.
>>
>> What is the preferred way to synchronise header values between the
>> platform sources and the Image?
>>

> Do not do that. Do not attempt to synchonize them. Use the actual values
> in the header files. Do not assume that they will never change, and do not
> assume that they they will be the same on all platforms.
>
> For example, you can write this, because it invokes the actual C language
> definition of 'AIO_X' as defined in an external header file, and it uses 4
> as a default for VM simulation:
>
>    flags := flags bitOr: (self cCode: 'AIO_W' inSmalltalk: [4])
>
> But you should not write the following, where AIO_X is a class var set to 4.
> It looks prettier, but it is wrong because the value of AIO_W is hard coded
> in a class initialization in the image:
>
>    flags := flags bitOr: AIO_W
>
> Pretty code is nice, but it is more important that it be correct.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

EstebanLM

forget to say: but I’m not admin so I cannot remove it myself… could you please do it?

thanks!

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 05:29:03AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Esteban,
>> >
>> > I missed the discussion here, but this does not look like a good change. The
>> > values of AIO_R, AIO_W, and AIO_X are declared in a header file in the platforms
>> > sources. They should also not be hard-coded in the image, which is what happens
>> > when you define them as class variables in AioPlugin.
>>
>> What is the preferred way to synchronise header values between the
>> platform sources and the Image?
>>

> Do not do that. Do not attempt to synchonize them. Use the actual values
> in the header files. Do not assume that they will never change, and do not
> assume that they they will be the same on all platforms.
>
> For example, you can write this, because it invokes the actual C language
> definition of 'AIO_X' as defined in an external header file, and it uses 4
> as a default for VM simulation:
>
>     flags := flags bitOr: (self cCode: 'AIO_W' inSmalltalk: [4])

Thanks Dave.  That is useful to know.
cheers -ben

> But you should not write the following, where AIO_X is a class var set to 4.
> It looks prettier, but it is wrong because the value of AIO_W is hard coded
> in a class initialization in the image:
>
>     flags := flags bitOr: AIO_W
>
> Pretty code is nice, but it is more important that it be correct.

Re: AioPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.19.mcz

David T. Lewis

Will do, thank you Esteban :-)

Dave