AioPlugin not present

12

AioPlugin not present

Davide Varvello
Hi Folks,

Actually It seems on the linux vm the AioPlugin isn't included.

I worked on old vm, but I also downloaded the latest vm http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/latest.zip and the result is the same.

See the screenshot here http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy

How can I add the plugin?

TIA
Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Nobody?

Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Davide Varvello
Nobody?

Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Ben Coman
hi Davide,

Sorry I don't know the answer, but I discovered your original email hidden in my spam folder.  Perhaps similar happened to others.

cheers -ben

Re: AioPlugin not present

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Thanks Ben
Davide

Ben Coman wrote
> hi Davide,
>
> Sorry I don't know the answer, but I discovered your original email hidden
> in my spam folder.  Perhaps similar happened to others.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev <

> pharo-dev@.pharo

Re: AioPlugin not present

Davide Varvello

 wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Actually It seems on the linux vm the AioPlugin isn't included.
>
> I worked on old vm, but I also downloaded the latest vm
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/latest.zip and the result is
> the same.
>
> See the screenshot here http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy
>
> How can I add the plugin?
>
> TIA
> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Other hints?
TIA
Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Davide Varvello
Other hints?
TIA
Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Thierry Goubier
Hi Davide,

at one point in the past, the AioPlugin was present in the latest vm and
not in the stable one. It seems than now this plugin is not built anymore.

Do you have any special requirements on the AioPlugin?

Regards,

Thierry

Le 22/01/2017 à 01:05, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a écrit :
> Other hints?
> TIA
> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Hi Thierry,

I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning
(http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.

It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen
again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I have
to find a way to include it or another workaround

Cheers
Davide

Thierry Goubier wrote

> Hi Davide,
>
> at one point in the past, the AioPlugin was present in the latest vm and
> not in the stable one. It seems than now this plugin is not built anymore.
>
> Do you have any special requirements on the AioPlugin?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thierry
>
> Le 22/01/2017 à 01:05, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a écrit :
>> Other hints?
>> TIA
>> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Davide Varvello
Hi Thierry,

I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning (http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.

It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I have to find a way to include it or another workaround

Cheers
Davide

Thierry Goubier wrote
Hi Davide,

at one point in the past, the AioPlugin was present in the latest vm and
not in the stable one. It seems than now this plugin is not built anymore.

Do you have any special requirements on the AioPlugin?

Regards,

Thierry

Le 22/01/2017 à 01:05, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a écrit :
> Other hints?
> TIA
> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Ben Coman
hi David,

Maybe you could compile your own VM, adding add AioPlugin.
In my very first attempt to build the VM I found the instructions here relatively easy .
That will give you the newest pre-opensmalltalk-vm. But maybe AioPlugin was excluded from Linux for a reason.

However future VMs will be built from opensmalltalk-vm where you can see plugins.int for many of the Squeak build configurations include AioPlugin.

plus Pharo mac builds there have it...

with binaries available here...

I don't see an opensmalltalk-vm pharo linux build yet, but I expect its in the plan and maybe will include AioPlugin by default..

cheers -ben

I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning
(http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.

It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen
again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I have
to find a way to include it or another workaround

Cheers
Davide

Thierry Goubier wrote
> Hi Davide,
>
> at one point in the past, the AioPlugin was present in the latest vm and
> not in the stable one. It seems than now this plugin is not built anymore.
>
> Do you have any special requirements on the AioPlugin?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thierry
>
> Le 22/01/2017 à 01:05, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a écrit :
>> Other hints?
>> TIA
>> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

Thierry Goubier
Hi Davide,

I do use OSProcess in some cases; last time, I just rewrote that part to
emit a notification (and not raise a popup).

Regards,

Thierry

Le 22/01/2017 à 15:50, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a écrit :

> Hi Thierry,
>
> I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning
> (http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.
>
> It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen
> again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I have
> to find a way to include it or another workaround
>
> Cheers
> Davide

Re: AioPlugin not present

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 05:00:04PM +0100, Thierry Goubier wrote:

> Le 22/01/2017 ? 15:50, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a ?crit :
> >Hi Thierry,
> >
> >I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning
> >(http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.
> >
> >It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen
> >again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I
> >have
> >to find a way to include it or another workaround
> >
> >Cheers
> >Davide
>
> Hi Davide,
>
> I do use OSProcess in some cases; last time, I just rewrote that part to
> emit a notification (and not raise a popup).
>
> Regards,
>
> Thierry

I am not sure why the AIOPlugin is not being included in the VMs.

Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:

  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am

  OSProcess 4.6.7

  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).

  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
  AIO plugin.

Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

EstebanLM

> On 23 Jan 2017, at 00:56, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 05:00:04PM +0100, Thierry Goubier wrote:
>>
>> Le 22/01/2017 ? 15:50, Davide Varvello via Pharo-dev a ?crit :
>>> Hi Thierry,
>>>
>>> I need it for the OSProcess. When my code calls OSProcess the warning
>>> (http://imgur.com/a/9jhMy) appears.
>>>
>>> It happens only once. If I close the warning window It does not happen
>>> again, but of course if I restart the image it appears once again, so I
>>> have
>>> to find a way to include it or another workaround
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Davide
>>
>> Hi Davide,
>>
>> I do use OSProcess in some cases; last time, I just rewrote that part to
>> emit a notification (and not raise a popup).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thierry
>
> I am not sure why the AIOPlugin is not being included in the VMs.

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

Thierry Goubier

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

I'll try. Where is the source for the current pharo vms? On github, pharo-vm?

I'd like to try building it, to see if my 64bits issues would be solved.

Thierry

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

EstebanLM

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:37, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

I'll try. Where is the source for the current pharo vms? On github, pharo-vm?

cheers,
Esteban

I'd like to try building it, to see if my 64bits issues would be solved.

Thierry

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

Thierry Goubier

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:37, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

I'll try. Where is the source for the current pharo vms? On github, pharo-vm?

Thanks.

How do you build a 64bits linux vm? The doc is limited to 32 bits.

Regards,

Thierry

cheers,
Esteban

I'd like to try building it, to see if my 64bits issues would be solved.

Thierry

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

EstebanLM

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:46, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:37, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

I'll try. Where is the source for the current pharo vms? On github, pharo-vm?

Thanks.

How do you build a 64bits linux vm? The doc is limited to 32 bits.

README is not updated, and process is not like that anymore.
Now, you have to go do:

cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build (for threaded)
cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build.itimerheartbeat (for itimer)

then just ./mvm

cheers,
Esteban

Regards,

Thierry

cheers,
Esteban

I'd like to try building it, to see if my 64bits issues would be solved.

Thierry

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

Re: AioPlugin not present

Thierry Goubier

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:46, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:37, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

me neither :)
I added AioPlugin (as external) to all linux distributions… they will be available in latest VMs.

can someone test it?

I'll try. Where is the source for the current pharo vms? On github, pharo-vm?

Thanks.

How do you build a 64bits linux vm? The doc is limited to 32 bits.

README is not updated, and process is not like that anymore.
Now, you have to go do:

cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build (for threaded)
cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build.itimerheartbeat (for itimer)

then just ./mvm

And you reply y / n to the clean? question in the mvm script?

Regards,

Thierry

cheers,
Esteban

Regards,

Thierry

cheers,
Esteban

I'd like to try building it, to see if my 64bits issues would be solved.

Thierry

Esteban

> Whatever the reason for that, the notifier about the missing plugin was
> too annoying, so I got rid of it in the latest OSProcess update:
>
>  Name: OSProcess-Base-dtl.56
>  Time: 17 January 2017, 8:47:36.321587 am
>
>  OSProcess 4.6.7
>
>  Add nil checks in #shutDown: to prevent failures when exiting existing
>  image with a VM that does not include OSPP (e.g. SqueakJS).
>
>  For AIO event hander, if the AIO plugin is not present, write an error
>  to console rather than interrupting the image with a notifer. Reduces the
>  annoyance level if VM provider provides OSPP but neglects to include the
>  AIO plugin.
>
> Dave

12