Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

Andrea Brühlmann
Hi,

I have developed a framework to quickly write scenario tests for Seaside
applications. Albatross lets you write SUnit tests that run a Seaside
component in an external web browser and simulate user interactions. It
provides access to the running and rendered component and at the same time
to the model of your application. You do not need to think about html tags
or ids and names, because Albatross has cleverer ways to find out what you
want to do. It finds form fields just by the corresponding label text or
clicks on links by the displayed link text. It supports Javascript/Ajax
testing because it really runs the application in the default web browser of
your computer. You can write tests like the following:

browser enter: 'Jack' for: 'Username';
    enter:'grml78sh' for 'Password';
    click:'Login'.
self assert: (
    browser textExists: 'Successfully logged in').

Download Albatross as a monticello package from
http://www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.
Required:

    * Seaside
    * FFI (from SqueakMap. Required for Squeak >=3.9)
    * AppleScript (required for MacOS. From
http://abrue.ab.funpic.de/albatross/Mac-Applescript.st (SM version with
bugfix))
    * ExternalWebBrowser (from SqueakMap)
    * Albatross (from http://squeaksource.com/Albatross)

There is a demo test for Pier in the Albatross package that will show you
how to write tests. You can run the demo test (APierTest) if you have
downloaded Pier.

Regards
Andrea

Re: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

keith1y
Andrea Brühlmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have developed a framework to quickly write scenario tests for
> Seaside applications. Albatross lets you write SUnit tests that run a
> Seaside component in an external web
Hi,

this sounds very cool, is it mac only?

Keith

Re: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

Adrian Lienhard
It runs on all platforms (tested on IE and Mac).

The Applescript package is only needed for the Mac. Andrea put a link
to a fixed Applescript st file (the one on SqueakMap does not work in
3.9 because of a isKindOf: String test...)

The idea of Albatross is similar to Selenium (http://www.openqa.org/
selenium/) for which David Shaffer started a Squeak client
implementation. Albatross differs in that it does not depend on an
external testing framework like Selenium. It has a very small library
of Javascript functions which  use the Prototype library, and based
on the Seaside Scriptaculous layer, Javascript is dynamically
generated from within Squeak.

Feedback and enhancements are welcome!

Adrian

On Oct 8, 2006, at 02:51 , Keith Hodges wrote:

> Andrea Brühlmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have developed a framework to quickly write scenario tests for
>> Seaside applications. Albatross lets you write SUnit tests that
>> run a Seaside component in an external web
> Hi,
>
> this sounds very cool, is it mac only?
>
> Keith

Re: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

Rick Flower
Andrea Brühlmann wrote:

> Download Albatross as a monticello package from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.
> Required:
>
>    * Seaside
>    * FFI (from SqueakMap. Required for Squeak >=3.9)
>    * AppleScript (required for MacOS. From
> http://abrue.ab.funpic.de/albatross/Mac-Applescript.st (SM version with
> bugfix))
>    * ExternalWebBrowser (from SqueakMap)
>    * Albatross (from http://squeaksource.com/Albatross)

Andrea,

What's the chance of getting this for use w/ VisualWorks?
This is exactly what I am looking for to short circuit some of my
testing tasks..

RE: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

Ramon Leon-5

> I have developed a framework to quickly write scenario tests
> for Seaside applications. Albatross lets you write SUnit
> tests that run a Seaside component in an external web browser
> and simulate user interactions. It provides access to the
> running and rendered component and at the same time to the
> model of your application. You do not need to think about
> html tags or ids and names, because Albatross has cleverer
> ways to find out what you want to do. It finds form fields
> just by the corresponding label text or clicks on links by
> the displayed link text. It supports Javascript/Ajax testing
> because it really runs the application in the default web
> browser of your computer. You can write tests like the following:

Sweet!  I use Ruby Watir for this task at the moment, it'll be nice to be
able to use Smalltalk instead.  I don't really have time to test it at the
moment, but when I do, I'll report back on any issues, this will be a great
tool.

Ramón León
http://onsmalltalk.com  e

Re: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

stephane ducasse
cool andrea
Tx for sharing that with us.

stef
On 7 oct. 06, at 17:44, Andrea Brühlmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have developed a framework to quickly write scenario tests for
> Seaside applications. Albatross lets you write SUnit tests that run
> a Seaside component in an external web browser and simulate user
> interactions. It provides access to the running and rendered
> component and at the same time to the model of your application.
> You do not need to think about html tags or ids and names, because
> Albatross has cleverer ways to find out what you want to do. It
> finds form fields just by the corresponding label text or clicks on
> links by the displayed link text. It supports Javascript/Ajax
> testing because it really runs the application in the default web
> browser of your computer. You can write tests like the following:
>
> browser enter: 'Jack' for: 'Username';
>    enter:'grml78sh' for 'Password';
>    click:'Login'.
> self assert: (
>    browser textExists: 'Successfully logged in').
>
> Download Albatross as a monticello package from http://
> www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.
> Required:
>
>    * Seaside
>    * FFI (from SqueakMap. Required for Squeak >=3.9)
>    * AppleScript (required for MacOS. From http://
> abrue.ab.funpic.de/albatross/Mac-Applescript.st (SM version with
> bugfix))
>    * ExternalWebBrowser (from SqueakMap)
>    * Albatross (from http://squeaksource.com/Albatross)
>
> There is a demo test for Pier in the Albatross package that will
> show you how to write tests. You can run the demo test (APierTest)
> if you have downloaded Pier.
>
> Regards
> Andrea

Re: Albatross: Seaside scenario testing

Adrian Lienhard
There are basically two things that will need some work to port to
VisualWorks
- opening a web browser on an URL (this is done with the
ExternalWebBrowser package in Squeak)
- listening for incoming requests on an URL (done with Kom)

Apart from that the code probably works without needing changes.

Cheers,
Adrian