Albatross not working on linux

NorbertHartl
Hi,

I'm trying to use albatross for my web app. But I have
some problems. First there are two Mac specific classes
to open a browser:

ExternalWebBrowserMacOS
and
ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX

I guess these are for system 9 and 10. However the latter
is detected under linux. It just checks for platformName,
availability of the C library and the existence of an
executable called open. All this is true for a linux
system. At least all debian based. But the open binary
is in a package console-tools which I know from nearly
every other linux as well. This could be different for
BSD like system. I'll check this.

As I am not familiar with ffi calls in particular I did
an ugly hack around it. I added

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX>>suitsPlatform
   ^ super suitsPlatform and: [
      (self new system: 'uname -a | grep ''^Darwin''') = 0
   ]

With this the I get ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla. This uses
gnome-moz-remote binary to open a page. This is already a
dependency to gnome (as the name indicates). I think it is
better to use gnome-open which will open any browser the user
has configured in his settings. Do you think there are any
javascript issues which need to use mozilla? The change would
be

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperCommand
   ^' "{1}"'

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperProgram
   ^'gnome-open'

If you like to support more different settings let me know
I can jump in.

Having this I get the test page opened in firefox. But I
get an error from albatross. I tested pier versions from
universe (public and beta) and the latest albatross from
squeaksource.

With pier beta I get

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents
AComponentWrapper(WAComponent)>>decoration

Norbert

Re: Albatross not working on linux

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Norbert,

Concerning the fixes for ExternalWebBrwoser it would be best if this
is integrated in the original code. There is a SqueakSource project
at http://www.squeaksource.com/ExternalWebBrowser.html. We have used
Albatross only on Mac and Windows so far.

 From the problem you report with Albatross, I cannot see what goes
wrong. Maybe some setup problem with Albatross/Pier?
I uploaded a prepared Albatross image to www.netstyle.ch/dropbox/
Albatross.zip, which has all Pier and Scriptaculous tests green on my
machine. So, you can see whether this works for you and maybe find a
difference to your setup.

HTH,
Adrian

___________________
Adrian Lienhard
www.adrian-lienhard.ch

On Aug 3, 2007, at 13:46 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use albatross for my web app. But I have
> some problems. First there are two Mac specific classes
> to open a browser:
>
> ExternalWebBrowserMacOS
> and
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX
>
> I guess these are for system 9 and 10. However the latter
> is detected under linux. It just checks for platformName,
> availability of the C library and the existence of an
> executable called open. All this is true for a linux
> system. At least all debian based. But the open binary
> is in a package console-tools which I know from nearly
> every other linux as well. This could be different for
> BSD like system. I'll check this.
>
> As I am not familiar with ffi calls in particular I did
> an ugly hack around it. I added
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX>>suitsPlatform
>    ^ super suitsPlatform and: [
>       (self new system: 'uname -a | grep ''^Darwin''') = 0
>    ]
>
> With this the I get ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla. This uses
> gnome-moz-remote binary to open a page. This is already a
> dependency to gnome (as the name indicates). I think it is
> better to use gnome-open which will open any browser the user
> has configured in his settings. Do you think there are any
> javascript issues which need to use mozilla? The change would
> be
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperCommand
>    ^' "{1}"'
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperProgram
>    ^'gnome-open'
>
> If you like to support more different settings let me know
> I can jump in.
>
> Having this I get the test page opened in firefox. But I
> get an error from albatross. I tested pier versions from
> universe (public and beta) and the latest albatross from
> squeaksource.
>
> With pier beta I get
>

> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents
> AComponentWrapper(WAComponent)>>decoration
>
> Norbert

Re: Albatross not working on linux

Alexander Lazarevic'

Hi Norbert,

when I started ExternalWebBrowser just as a hack I was only able to test
it on my Debian and WindowsXP Box. Dominique Dutoit made modifications
to make this work on Macs. Can't tell you much about it. You may want to
have a look at [1] to see the changes.

Regards,
        Alex

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/ExternalWebBrowser

Norbert Hartl schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use albatross for my web app. But I have
> some problems. First there are two Mac specific classes
> to open a browser:
>
> ExternalWebBrowserMacOS
> and
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX
>
> I guess these are for system 9 and 10. However the latter
> is detected under linux. It just checks for platformName,
> availability of the C library and the existence of an
> executable called open. All this is true for a linux
> system. At least all debian based. But the open binary
> is in a package console-tools which I know from nearly
> every other linux as well. This could be different for
> BSD like system. I'll check this.
>
> As I am not familiar with ffi calls in particular I did
> an ugly hack around it. I added
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX>>suitsPlatform
>    ^ super suitsPlatform and: [
>       (self new system: 'uname -a | grep ''^Darwin''') = 0
>    ]
>
> With this the I get ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla. This uses
> gnome-moz-remote binary to open a page. This is already a
> dependency to gnome (as the name indicates). I think it is
> better to use gnome-open which will open any browser the user
> has configured in his settings. Do you think there are any
> javascript issues which need to use mozilla? The change would
> be
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperCommand
>    ^' "{1}"'
>
> ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperProgram
>    ^'gnome-open'
>
> If you like to support more different settings let me know
> I can jump in.
>
> Having this I get the test page opened in firefox. But I
> get an error from albatross. I tested pier versions from
> universe (public and beta) and the latest albatross from
> squeaksource.
>
> With pier beta I get
>

> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents
> AComponentWrapper(WAComponent)>>decoration
>
> Norbert

Re: Albatross not working on linux

NorbertHartl
I think I could do some changes to reflect the linux situation
a lot better. It could be useful to have kde,gnome and mozilla
as alternatives in the code.

The repository on squeaksource is read-only. How should I provide
fixes? Are you willing to open the repository? I have a squeak-
source account, too.

Norbert

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 14:33 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> Concerning the fixes for ExternalWebBrwoser it would be best if this
> is integrated in the original code. There is a SqueakSource project
> at http://www.squeaksource.com/ExternalWebBrowser.html. We have used
> Albatross only on Mac and Windows so far.

Ah, of course. It is of course ExternalWebBrowser and not
albatross :)