Alien Plugin for Linux

12

Alien Plugin for Linux

Fernando olivero-2
Hi, is there an Alien plugin for linux ?
I recall somebody working on it.
Would be nice if its made available somewhere on the web.

Thanks,
Fernando

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I share your interest.  Just to fan the fires of healthy competition, Sig has posted code for a NativeBoost plugin on Linux.  Stef will understand that I don't dare look at it until my grant proposal is submitted, but it is a step in the right direction.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Fernando olivero-2
Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?

On Sep 27, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

I share your interest.  Just to fan the fires of healthy competition, Sig has posted code for a NativeBoost plugin on Linux.  Stef will understand that I don't dare look at it until my grant proposal is submitted, but it is a step in the right direction.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

laurent laffont
I've once written a script which should still work to build the VM with Alien. http://github.com/lolgzs/easy_squeakvm/raw/alien/easy_squeakvm.sh as someone asked me (don't remember). But I don't know how to use & test Alien .....

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Fernando olivero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, is there an Alien plugin for linux ?
I recall somebody working on it.
Would be nice if its made available somewhere on the web.

Thanks,
Fernando

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Alberto Bacchelli
Hi Laurent,

  I am trying to use your plugin.
In Debian Lenny it does not work, since it requires cmake >= 2.6.2.
I tried to install a newer version of cmake, and I got these errors:

[...]
Scanning dependencies of target squeak.1
[  0%] Built target squeak.1
Scanning dependencies of target squeak.sh
[  0%] Built target squeak.sh
Scanning dependencies of target squeak
[  0%] Built target squeak
[  1%] Generating interp.c
[  2%] Generating gnu-interp.c
[  2%] Generating version.c
Scanning dependencies of target squeakvm
[  2%] Building C object CMakeFiles/squeakvm.dir/gnu-interp.c.o
/home/oos/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c: In function
‘sendInvokeCallbackStackRegistersJmpbuf’:
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25885: error: ‘BytesPerWord’
undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25885: error: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25885: error: for each function it
appears in.)
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25887: error: ‘BaseHeaderSize’
undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25888: error: ‘ShiftForWord’
undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/squeakvm.dir/gnu-interp.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/squeakvm.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have the same problem with ubuntu.

Do you have any suggestion to fix this problem?

Thanks,
  Alberto

On 9/27/10 5:24 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> I've once written a script which should still work to build the VM with Alien. http://github.com/lolgzs/easy_squeakvm/raw/alien/easy_squeakvm.sh as someone asked me (don't remember). But I don't know how to use&  test Alien .....
> <http://github.com/lolgzs/easy_squeakvm/raw/alien/easy_squeakvm.sh>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Fernando olivero<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>  wrote:
> Hi, is there an Alien plugin for linux ?
> I recall somebody working on it.
> Would be nice if its made available somewhere on the web.
>
> Thanks,
> Fernando

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Eliot Miranda-2

2010/9/27 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?

Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.

best
Eliot

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Alberto Bacchelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25887: error: ‘BaseHeaderSize’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/oo/temp/out/build/gnu-interp.c:25888: error: ‘ShiftForWord’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/squeakvm.dir/gnu-interp.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/squeakvm.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have the same problem with ubuntu.

Do you have any suggestion to fix this problem?

Same problem :( So something may have changed in latests gcc / cmake / whatever ??

cmake version 2.8.2
gcc version 4.5.1

You can try to update squeak svn revision in the script and / or update ConfigurationOfVMMaker (Sorry I won't try to work on it soon, I'm so late on several other stuff).

Cheers,

Laurent

[...]

Great! thanks eliot.

Good enough for the project we want to do , ( that's reifying the  MatLab library in Smalltalk)

Fernando

On Sep 27, 2010, at 8:12 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

2010/9/27 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?

Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.

best
Eliot

On Sep 27, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

I share your interest.  Just to fan the fires of healthy competition, Sig has posted code for a NativeBoost plugin on Linux.  Stef will understand that I don't dare look at it until my grant proposal is submitted, but it is a step in the right direction.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Alberto Bacchelli
On 9/27/10 8:13 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> 2010/9/27 Fernando olivero<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2313/
>
> Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.
>
> best
> Eliot

We had a problem after installing Alien,
when running the tests.

The following does not understand

MessageNotUnderstood: Array>>createMethod:header:methodClass:

sent by
CompileMethod
class>>newBytes:trailerBytes:nArgs:nTemps:nStack:nLits:primitive:

It appears to be cog related, is it?

Thank you,
  Alberto

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:34 16AM, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:

> On 9/27/10 8:13 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>

>> 2010/9/27 Fernando olivero<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2313/
>>
>> Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.
>>
>> best
>> Eliot
>
> We had a problem after installing Alien,
> when running the tests.
>
> The following does not understand
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: Array>>createMethod:header:methodClass:
>
> sent by
> CompileMethod class>>newBytes:trailerBytes:nArgs:nTemps:nStack:nLits:primitive:
>
> It appears to be cog related, is it?
>
> Thank you,
> Alberto

No, it's Method-trailer related.

IIRC, the convention used to be to pass the empty trailer bytes #(0 0 0 0), find the offending sender and change it to pass CompiledMethodTrailer empty instead.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Igor Stasenko
On 28 September 2010 11:51, Henrik Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:34 16AM, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>
>> On 9/27/10 8:13 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>>

>>> 2010/9/27 Fernando olivero<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>> Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?
>>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2313/
>>>
>>> Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.
>>>
>>> best
>>> Eliot
>>
>> We had a problem after installing Alien,
>> when running the tests.
>>
>> The following does not understand
>>
>> MessageNotUnderstood: Array>>createMethod:header:methodClass:
>>
>> sent by
>> CompileMethod class>>newBytes:trailerBytes:nArgs:nTemps:nStack:nLits:primitive:
>>
>> It appears to be cog related, is it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Alberto
>
> No, it's Method-trailer related.
>
> IIRC, the convention used to be to pass the empty trailer bytes #(0 0 0 0), find the offending sender and change it to pass CompiledMethodTrailer empty instead.

Right. A more compatible way is to use SomeClass defaultMethodTrailer
Where SomeClass should be a class, where you installing this method.

> Cheers,
> Henry

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Noury Bouraqadi-2

On 27 sept. 2010, at 20:12, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> 2010/9/27 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
> Does the  prebuilt CogVM  for linux include Alien support?
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2313/
>
> Only of the data manipulation and callout parts, not the callback parts.  I'm trying to find time to work on integrating the Alien callback machinery with the FFI.

Thanx Eliot.

Noury

> best
> Eliot
>

> On Sep 27, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> I share your interest.  Just to fan the fires of healthy competition, Sig has posted code for a NativeBoost plugin on Linux.  Stef will understand that I don't dare look at it until my grant proposal is submitted, but it is a step in the right direction.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Fernando olivero-2
This Error prevents from using Alien in the lastest Pharo image.

I will try to fix this today.

Also i will remove the ConfigurationOfAlien from the Alien repository, because the version in MetacelloRepository should be used instead.
So there are no future misunderstandings

Thanks to Eliot,  and using his precompiled Vms for all platforms Alien would be available now!
(if the mentioned bug were fixed).

Fernando

On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 28 September 2010 11:51, Henrik Johansen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> We had a problem after installing Alien,
>>> when running the tests.
>>>
>>> The following does not understand
>>>
>>> MessageNotUnderstood: Array>>createMethod:header:methodClass:
>>>
>>> sent by
>>> CompileMethod class>>newBytes:trailerBytes:nArgs:nTemps:nStack:nLits:primitive:
>>>
>>> It appears to be cog related, is it?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Alberto
>>
>> No, it's Method-trailer related.
>>
>> IIRC, the convention used to be to pass the empty trailer bytes #(0 0 0 0), find the offending sender and change it to pass CompiledMethodTrailer empty instead.
>>

> Right. A more compatible way is to use SomeClass defaultMethodTrailer
> Where SomeClass should be a class, where you installing this method.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Henry

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Updating the Alien Squeaksource page

Fernando olivero-2
Hi John , could you please update the Alien squeak source web page.

Gofer new
url:
'http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien' ;
addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
load.
Then evaluate the desired group/s:
ConfigurationOfAlien loadCore.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadTests.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadLibC.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadMacOSX.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadVMMaker.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadWin32.

Should be changed to

Gofer it
squeaksource:'MetacelloRepository' ;
package: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
load.

Then evaluate the following to get the default installation
(Smalltalk globals classNamed: 'ConfigurationOfAlien')
perform:#loadLatestVersion.

Or evaluate the following to get more specific group/s:
ConfigurationOfAlien loadCore.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadTests.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadLibC.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadMacOSX.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadVMMaker.
ConfigurationOfAlien loadWin32.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Fernando olivero-2
A question to the Ocean developers,  why do have a particular Alien-Core package in the ocean repo? (  Alien-Core-LucFabresse.64.mcz )

Are there some fixes that could be included in the official package? Please let me know so i can integrate them.

I'm asking because i'm cleaning a bit the Alien mess, ( see previous mail) , and would like to have a single working official Alien.

Thanks,
Fernando

On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> This Error prevents from using Alien in the lastest Pharo image.
>
> I will try to fix this today.
>
> Also i will remove the ConfigurationOfAlien from the Alien repository, because the version in MetacelloRepository should be used instead.
> So there are no future misunderstandings
>

> Thanks to Eliot,  and using his precompiled Vms for all platforms Alien would be available now!
> (if the mentioned bug were fixed).
>

> Fernando
>

> On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 28 September 2010 11:51, Henrik Johansen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No, it's Method-trailer related.
>>>
>>> IIRC, the convention used to be to pass the empty trailer bytes #(0 0 0 0), find the offending sender and change it to pass CompiledMethodTrailer empty instead.
>>>

>> Right. A more compatible way is to use SomeClass defaultMethodTrailer
>> Where SomeClass should be a class, where you installing this method.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Fernando olivero-2
I fixed this bug,

MethodNode>>generate , was sending generate: #(0 0 0 0)

instead of sending
        self generate: CompiledMethodTrailer empty.

Name: Alien-Core-FernandoOlivero.64
Author: FernandoOlivero

On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> This Error prevents from using Alien in the lastest Pharo image.
>
> I will try to fix this today.
>
> Also i will remove the ConfigurationOfAlien from the Alien repository, because the version in MetacelloRepository should be used instead.
> So there are no future misunderstandings
>

> Thanks to Eliot,  and using his precompiled Vms for all platforms Alien would be available now!
> (if the mentioned bug were fixed).
>

> Fernando
>

> On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 28 September 2010 11:51, Henrik Johansen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No, it's Method-trailer related.
>>>
>>> IIRC, the convention used to be to pass the empty trailer bytes #(0 0 0 0), find the offending sender and change it to pass CompiledMethodTrailer empty instead.
>>>

>> Right. A more compatible way is to use SomeClass defaultMethodTrailer
>> Where SomeClass should be a class, where you installing this method.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Uhm, this method (and many others in the extensions-category) have been present in their expected-by-Alien form in Pharo since at least 1.0

Probably a better idea to separate the Alien-"Core" into two packages, one which is actually needed, and one which you only need to load in really old Squeak/Cuis images in order to have it work.
In which case you probably won't have method trailers either, and generate: #(0 0 0 0) is the proper extension.

Come to think of it, you probably have to go back to pre-closure enabled for that to be the case, with the amount of platform support for alien vms offered back then, it might not be a bad idea to just ditch it entirely.

Cheers,
Henry

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:33 58PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> I fixed this bug,
>
> MethodNode>>generate , was sending generate: #(0 0 0 0)
>
> instead of sending
> self generate: CompiledMethodTrailer empty.
>

> Name: Alien-Core-FernandoOlivero.64
> Author: FernandoOlivero
>

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> This Error prevents from using Alien in the lastest Pharo image.
>>
>> I will try to fix this today.
>>
>> Also i will remove the ConfigurationOfAlien from the Alien repository, because the version in MetacelloRepository should be used instead.
>> So there are no future misunderstandings
>>

>> Thanks to Eliot,  and using his precompiled Vms for all platforms Alien would be available now!
>> (if the mentioned bug were fixed).
>>

>> Fernando
>>

>> On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Right. A more compatible way is to use SomeClass defaultMethodTrailer
>>> Where SomeClass should be a class, where you installing this method.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Nicolas Cellier
2010/9/29 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:
> Uhm, this method (and many others in the extensions-category) have been present in their expected-by-Alien form in Pharo since at least 1.0
>
> Probably a better idea to separate the Alien-"Core" into two packages, one which is actually needed, and one which you only need to load in really old Squeak/Cuis images in order to have it work.
> In which case you probably won't have method trailers either, and generate: #(0 0 0 0) is the proper extension.

CompiledMethodTrailers default or mysterious #(0 0 0 0) codes both are
mostly unnecessary.
If I want default behaviour, why should I bother to tell what this
default is exactly ?
Let just call #generate, and obfuscate those details.
Squeak Pharo Cuis will handle these better than us (didn't verify
Cuis, but quite sure Squeak/Pharo already implement generate).

Nicolas

> Come to think of it, you probably have to go back to pre-closure enabled for that to be the case, with the amount of platform support for alien vms offered back then, it might not be a bad idea to just ditch it entirely.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:33 58PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> I fixed this bug,
>>
>> MethodNode>>generate , was sending generate: #(0 0 0 0)
>>
>> instead of sending
>>       self generate: CompiledMethodTrailer empty.
>>

>> Name: Alien-Core-FernandoOlivero.64
>> Author: FernandoOlivero
>>

>> On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>>
>>> This Error prevents from using Alien in the lastest Pharo image.
>>>
>>> I will try to fix this today.
>>>
>>> Also i will remove the ConfigurationOfAlien from the Alien repository, because the version in MetacelloRepository should be used instead.
>>> So there are no future misunderstandings
>>>

>>> Thanks to Eliot,  and using his precompiled Vms for all platforms Alien would be available now!
>>> (if the mentioned bug were fixed).
>>>

>>> Fernando

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Marcus Denker-4

On Sep 29, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/9/29 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:
>> Uhm, this method (and many others in the extensions-category) have been present in their expected-by-Alien form in Pharo since at least 1.0
>>
>> Probably a better idea to separate the Alien-"Core" into two packages, one which is actually needed, and one which you only need to load in really old Squeak/Cuis images in order to have it work.
>> In which case you probably won't have method trailers either, and generate: #(0 0 0 0) is the proper extension.
>>

> CompiledMethodTrailers default or mysterious #(0 0 0 0) codes both are
> mostly unnecessary.
> If I want default behaviour, why should I bother to tell what this
> default is exactly ?
> Let just call #generate, and obfuscate those details.
> Squeak Pharo Cuis will handle these better than us (didn't verify
> Cuis, but quite sure Squeak/Pharo already implement generate).

I added #generate in 3.9 and refactored everything to use it. But the closure code un-did a lot of
these as it was coming from an older version (3.7 or 3.8 was the basis of Croquet, I think).

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Alien Plugin for Linux

Noury Bouraqadi-2
HI Fernando,

It was a bug fix. And we hadn't at that time access to the Alien repo for saving it.
Currently, we have a metacello config and it refers the alien repo.

Noury

12