Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?

I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.

Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)

Bill

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?
>
> I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.
>
> Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)

Building a vm with alien support is probably harder than writing a
openssl plugin. :)

Levente

> Bill

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

johnmci
My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker

Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:

"add Alien Support Packages"
gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
        addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.

IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
I note Balloon 3D might be optional.

        Install Balloon 3D via the SqueakMap package Loader,
        Install FFI  & Klatt via MC

        MCHttpRepository
            location: '
http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos
'
           user: ''
    password: ''

        install FFI via  FFI-Kernel-ar.7
        and install KLATT via Speech-Klatt-edc.1

        Install VMMaker-dtl.120 or higher from
        MCHttpRepository
    location: '
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker
'
    user: ''
    password: ''

        Install Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.6 or higher from

        MCHttpRepository
    location: '
http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien
'
    user: ''
    password: ''

On 2010-01-10, at 7:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?
>
> I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.
>
> Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)
>
> Bill

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, John M McIntosh wrote:

> My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
> Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
>
> Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
> This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
>
> "add Alien Support Packages"
> gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
>        addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
>
> IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto

This process is a bit outdated, FFI and Speech are not dependencies
anymore, the dependencies are extracted into FFI-Pools and
SharedPool-Speech. FFI's repository is http://source.squeak.org/FFI, not
Ladrillos on squeaksource (it never was).
Dave made a Monticello configuration for Squeak. Based on that someone
could create a Metacello configuration.

Levente

> I note Balloon 3D might be optional.
>
> Install Balloon 3D via the SqueakMap package Loader,
> Install FFI  & Klatt via MC
>
> MCHttpRepository
>    location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos
> '
>   user: ''
>   password: ''
>
> install FFI via  FFI-Kernel-ar.7
> and install KLATT via Speech-Klatt-edc.1
>
> Install VMMaker-dtl.120 or higher from
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker
> '
>     user: ''
>     password: ''
>
> Install Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.6 or higher from
>
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien
> '
>   user: ''
>   password: ''
>

> On 2010-01-10, at 7:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?
>>
>> I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.
>>
>> Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)
>>
>> Bill

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

this is strange I thought that just loading
        AlienLoader load (it was pre gofer)
        from the Alien source
was loading it without having to load VMMaker

why do we need VMMaker for using Alien?

Stef

On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:42 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
> Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
>
> Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
> This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
>
> "add Alien Support Packages"
> gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
>        addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
>
> IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
> I note Balloon 3D might be optional.
>
> Install Balloon 3D via the SqueakMap package Loader,
> Install FFI  & Klatt via MC
>
> MCHttpRepository
>    location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos
> '
>   user: ''
>   password: ''
>
> install FFI via  FFI-Kernel-ar.7
> and install KLATT via Speech-Klatt-edc.1
>
> Install VMMaker-dtl.120 or higher from
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker
> '
>     user: ''
>     password: ''
>
> Install Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.6 or higher from
>
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien
> '
>   user: ''
>   password: ''
>

> On 2010-01-10, at 7:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?
>>
>> I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.
>>
>> Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)
>>
>> Bill

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

Fernando olivero
It's true, for using Alien VMMaker it's not necesary.

I think because he wants to build an Alien Plugin for Linux.

Fernando

pd: By the way, Tudor and I are working on a ConfigurationOfAlien.

On Jan 11, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> this is strange I thought that just loading
> AlienLoader load (it was pre gofer)
> from the Alien source
> was loading it without having to load VMMaker
>
> why do we need VMMaker for using Alien?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:42 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
>> Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
>>
>> Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
>> This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
>>
>> "add Alien Support Packages"
>> gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
>>       addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
>>
>> IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
>> I note Balloon 3D might be optional.
>>
>> Install Balloon 3D via the SqueakMap package Loader,
>> Install FFI  & Klatt via MC
>>
>> MCHttpRepository
>>    location: '
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos
>> '
>>   user: ''
>>   password: ''
>>
>> install FFI via  FFI-Kernel-ar.7
>> and install KLATT via Speech-Klatt-edc.1
>>
>> Install VMMaker-dtl.120 or higher from
>> MCHttpRepository
>>   location: '
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker
>> '
>>   user: ''
>>   password: ''
>>
>> Install Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.6 or higher from
>>
>> MCHttpRepository
>>   location: '
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien
>> '
>>   user: ''
>>   password: ''
>>

>> On 2010-01-10, at 7:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Do any of you know of an alien plugin for linux?  Is VMMaker alive and well on Pharo?
>>>
>>> I am getting close to (perhaps) being able to move some number crunching onto Pharo, but it will depend on external libraries and callbacks.  My reading suggests that the existing FFI is unable to handle callbacks, and that plugins are required.  Alien looks a lot closer to what I have working on Dolphin.
>>>
>>> Unless Alien is pre-built, it appears that I am stuck with setting up VMMaker??  That might not be all bad, because I am suspicious I might want to use a plugin for OpenSSL, but that is (so far) a little further away.  I would be happy to bypass that learning curve for a while longer :)
>>>
>>> Bill

>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok I see too early this morning.

> It's true, for using Alien VMMaker it's not necesary.
>
> I think because he wants to build an Alien Plugin for Linux.
>
> Fernando
>
> pd: By the way, Tudor and I are working on a ConfigurationOfAlien.
>

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> this is strange I thought that just loading
>> AlienLoader load (it was pre gofer)
>> from the Alien source
>> was loading it without having to load VMMaker
>>
>> why do we need VMMaker for using Alien?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:42 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
>>> Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
>>>
>>> Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
>>> This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
>>>
>>> "add Alien Support Packages"
>>> gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
>>>      addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
>>>
>>> IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
>>> I note Balloon 3D might be optional.
>>>
>>> Install Balloon 3D via the SqueakMap package Loader,
>>> Install FFI  & Klatt via MC
>>>
>>> MCHttpRepository
>>>    location: '
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos
>>> '
>>>   user: ''
>>>   password: ''
>>>
>>> install FFI via  FFI-Kernel-ar.7
>>> and install KLATT via Speech-Klatt-edc.1
>>>
>>> Install VMMaker-dtl.120 or higher from
>>> MCHttpRepository
>>>   location: '
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker
>>> '
>>>   user: ''
>>>   password: ''
>>>
>>> Install Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.6 or higher from
>>>
>>> MCHttpRepository
>>>   location: '
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien
>>> '
>>> user: ''
>>> password: ''

>>> --
>>> ===========================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:51:35AM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
> > My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
> > Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
> >
> > Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
> > This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
> >
> > "add Alien Support Packages"
> > gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
> >        addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
> >
> > IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
>
> This process is a bit outdated, FFI and Speech are not dependencies
> anymore, the dependencies are extracted into FFI-Pools and
> SharedPool-Speech. FFI's repository is http://source.squeak.org/FFI, not
> Ladrillos on squeaksource (it never was).
> Dave made a Monticello configuration for Squeak. Based on that someone
> could create a Metacello configuration.

It would be great if someone could do a Metacello configuration for this.
I don't know how to do it, so help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Alien plugin? Status of VMMaker

Stéphane Ducasse
> My understanding is VMMaker should work with Pharo
>>> Look in the archives for Gofer and VMMaker
>>>
>>> Once you've built a VMMaker image you need to load the Alien plugin logic.
>>> This might be loaded by previous gofer scripts, otherwise:
>>>
>>> "add Alien Support Packages"
>>> gofer squeaksource: 'Alien';
>>>       addPackage:'Alien-VMMaker-Support'.
>>>
>>> IF all else fails follow the manual process via: http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
>>
>> This process is a bit outdated, FFI and Speech are not dependencies
>> anymore, the dependencies are extracted into FFI-Pools and
>> SharedPool-Speech. FFI's repository is http://source.squeak.org/FFI, not
>> Ladrillos on squeaksource (it never was).
>> Dave made a Monticello configuration for Squeak. Based on that someone
>> could create a Metacello configuration.
>
> It would be great if someone could do a Metacello configuration for this.
> I don't know how to do it, so help would be welcome.

We will check friday afternoon with mariano
        may be one Alien and one AlienVMMarker