Alien

Torsten Bergmann
>We are trying to package it to load in the latest pharo.

Good - but whats the state of support for the major platforms?
(AFAIK John had it working on Mac).

For instance on Windows a good pharo foreign interface is crucial
for commercial value (accessing Win32API/COM/.NET/third party).

Whats the plan regarding Alien? Intended for the 1.0 release or
later? Loadable package or included within the standard image?
Will it be a merge of FFI and Alien, or is Alien good enough?

Thx
Torsten

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Re: Alien

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 12, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> We are trying to package it to load in the latest pharo.
>
> Good - but whats the state of support for the major platforms?
> (AFAIK John had it working on Mac).

So far we cannot load it on mac.
I'm moving the not loading examples into another packages so that we can
at least load.

> For instance on Windows a good pharo foreign interface is crucial
> for commercial value (accessing Win32API/COM/.NET/third party).

Well, it depends on windows people :).
Now I wish and open that there will be support

> Whats the plan regarding Alien? Intended for the 1.0 release or
> later? Loadable package or included within the standard image?

for now loadable package

> Will it be a merge of FFI and Alien, or is Alien good enough?

I do not know but from eliot told me Alien is good enough.
People may build on top of it better support to have higher level to
bridge with dll (a bit like dllcc in VW).