Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

johnmci
Whoever is looking after the Alien Gofer & Flair loader needs to revisit the logic since Flair fights and
loses against the current Gofer. Which then prevents Alien from loading as per the instructions supplied
on:  http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks john

        indeed flair is dead. "le roi est mort vive le roi"
Fernando could u update the Alien loader?

Stef
On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Whoever is looking after the Alien Gofer & Flair loader needs to revisit the logic since Flair fights and
> loses against the current Gofer. Which then prevents Alien from loading as per the instructions supplied
> on:  http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Fernando olivero
Yes, the web page is outdated. Thanks for pointing that out, i will modify the info now.

We are working together  with Tudor on ConfigurationOfAlien, as soon as it's finished i'll publish it.

Fernando

> indeed flair is dead. "le roi est mort vive le roi"
> Fernando could u update the Alien loader?
>
> Stef
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Whoever is looking after the Alien Gofer & Flair loader needs to revisit the logic since Flair fights and
>> loses against the current Gofer. Which then prevents Alien from loading as per the instructions supplied
>> on:  http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Fernando olivero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the web page is outdated. Thanks for pointing that out, i will modify the info now.

We are working together  with Tudor on ConfigurationOfAlien, as soon as it's finished i'll publish it.

Cool. Please do it in MetacelloRepository ;)

Fernando

>       indeed flair is dead. "le roi est mort vive le roi"
> Fernando could u update the Alien loader?
>
> Stef
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Whoever is looking after the Alien Gofer & Flair loader needs to revisit the logic since Flair fights and
>> loses against the current Gofer. Which then prevents Alien from loading as per the instructions supplied
>> on:  http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Stéphane Ducasse
Mariano

I think that projects should publish in their repository a ConfigurationOfXXX
and when this is stable copy it to MetacelloRepository.
I think that this is important to have a dsitrbuted but with a possible entry point infrastructure.
Loader can use MetacelloRepository as the only entry point and this is ok but project should
have a configuration by themselves in the folder.

Stef

On Ja

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano

I think that projects should publish in their repository a ConfigurationOfXXX
and when this is stable copy it to MetacelloRepository.

I agree more or less. Depends what you are meaning with stable. It is ok to commit ConfigurationOfXXX in your own repository until you have a first version. I just did that with SqueakDBX, but for the rest of the projects, I commit to local repo until it worked. And then, directly to MetacelloRepository. Of course, each person can do whatever they want.

 Then, you can directly commit it to MetacelloRepository. However, after that, the ConfigurationOfXXX can perfectly be unstable, using another version. For example, if you take ConfigurationOfPharo and load the version 1.0, it will work. Howver, it won't with 1.1 because I am still working.

I think that this is important to have a dsitrbuted but with a possible entry point infrastructure.
Loader can use MetacelloRepository as the only entry point

No. You can set multiples repositories in Loader.

and this is ok but project should
have a configuration by themselves in the folder.

Ok. No problem for me. My own "advice" is to put it *also* in MetacelloRepository.

Stef

On Ja

> Yes, the web page is outdated. Thanks for pointing that out, i will modify the info now.
>
> We are working together  with Tudor on ConfigurationOfAlien, as soon as it's finished i'll publish it.
>

> Cool. Please do it in MetacelloRepository ;)
>
> Fernando
>

> >       indeed flair is dead. "le roi est mort vive le roi"
> > Fernando could u update the Alien loader?
> >
> > Stef
> > On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> >
> >> Whoever is looking after the Alien Gofer & Flair loader needs to revisit the logic since Flair fights and
> >> loses against the current Gofer. Which then prevents Alien from loading as per the instructions supplied
> >> on:  http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> ===========================================================================
> >> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> >> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Stéphane Ducasse

> Mariano
>
> I think that projects should publish in their repository a ConfigurationOfXXX
> and when this is stable copy it to MetacelloRepository.
>
> I agree more or less. Depends what you are meaning with stable. It is ok to commit ConfigurationOfXXX in your own repository until you have a first version. I just did that with SqueakDBX, but for the rest of the projects, I commit to local repo until it worked. And then, directly to MetacelloRepository. Of course, each person can do whatever they want.
>
>  Then, you can directly commit it to MetacelloRepository. However, after that, the ConfigurationOfXXX can perfectly be unstable, using another version. For example, if you take ConfigurationOfPharo and load the version 1.0, it will work. Howver, it won't with 1.1 because I am still working.

my point is that we should pay attention and have a limited set of configuration that are working for each release.
I imagine

        ConfigurationOfMoose4-Pharo1.0
        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0
        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0-105005
        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.1

Not unstable version. Commit in the pharoTaskForces if this helps you.

> Ok. No problem for me. My own "advice" is to put it *also* in MetacelloRepository.

But we should get some guidelines else soon this will be a mess.
I suggest that we get a list of working stable configuration all the other should be moved into PharoTreated or something like that.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mariano
>
> I think that projects should publish in their repository a ConfigurationOfXXX
> and when this is stable copy it to MetacelloRepository.
>
> I agree more or less. Depends what you are meaning with stable. It is ok to commit ConfigurationOfXXX in your own repository until you have a first version. I just did that with SqueakDBX, but for the rest of the projects, I commit to local repo until it worked. And then, directly to MetacelloRepository. Of course, each person can do whatever they want.
>
>  Then, you can directly commit it to MetacelloRepository. However, after that, the ConfigurationOfXXX can perfectly be unstable, using another version. For example, if you take ConfigurationOfPharo and load the version 1.0, it will work. Howver, it won't with 1.1 because I am still working.

my point is that we should pay attention and have a limited set of configuration that are working for each release.
I imagine

       ConfigurationOfMoose4-Pharo1.0
       ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0
       ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0-105005
       ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.1

Not unstable version. Commit in the pharoTaskForces if this helps you.

Stef: On Friday we can see it together because that's not the idea of Metacello. You will have only ONE class ConfigurationOfMoose which will have different versions. Then you will be able to evaluate:

 (ConfigurationOfMoose project version: '4.1') load

or whatever...

But anyway, it will be better to see it together.

Cheers

Mariano

On Jan 11, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Mariano
> >
> > I think that projects should publish in their repository a ConfigurationOfXXX
> > and when this is stable copy it to MetacelloRepository.
> >
> > I agree more or less. Depends what you are meaning with stable. It is ok to commit ConfigurationOfXXX in your own repository until you have a first version. I just did that with SqueakDBX, but for the rest of the projects, I commit to local repo until it worked. And then, directly to MetacelloRepository. Of course, each person can do whatever they want.
> >
> >  Then, you can directly commit it to MetacelloRepository. However, after that, the ConfigurationOfXXX can perfectly be unstable, using another version. For example, if you take ConfigurationOfPharo and load the version 1.0, it will work. Howver, it won't with 1.1 because I am still working.
>
> my point is that we should pay attention and have a limited set of configuration that are working for each release.
> I imagine
>
>        ConfigurationOfMoose4-Pharo1.0
>        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0
>        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.0-105005
>        ConfigurationOfMoose4.1-Pharo1.1
>
> Not unstable version. Commit in the pharoTaskForces if this helps you.
>

> Stef: On Friday we can see it together because that's not the idea of Metacello. You will have only ONE class ConfigurationOfMoose which will have different versions. Then you will be able to evaluate:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfMoose project version: '4.1') load

ok

> or whatever...
>
> But anyway, it will be better to see it together.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> > Ok. No problem for me. My own "advice" is to put it *also* in MetacelloRepository.
>
> But we should get some guidelines else soon this will be a mess.
> I suggest that we get a list of working stable configuration all the other should be moved into PharoTreated or something like that.
>
> Stef

Re: Alien & (using Gofer and Flair)

Danie Roux
2010/1/11 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> You will have only ONE class ConfigurationOfMoose which will have
> different versions. Then you will be able to evaluate:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfMoose project version: '4.1') load

To add to that:

ConfigurationOfMoose project latestVersion

Will always resolve to the latest version that is blessed as stable.

Development versions can be marked with "blessing: #development", and
will not be used to determine the latest version.

In this way, you can maintain a set of stable and development packages
in the same Configuration.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix - http://danieroux.com