All PlatformFunctions fail with OS Error 1 on Linux (64 Bits)

All PlatformFunctions fail with OS Error 1 on Linux (64 Bits)

jtuchel
Hi there,

 I am almost sure I am overlooking something blatantly obvious. I have this Kubuntu 18.04 VM, pure 64 bits and VAST 9.1 64 bits installed on it.
I can start images and work to some extent, but as soon as a Callout is attempted, I get an OS Error 1.

Here is what the /bin path looks like and what ldd tells me about esvm40.so:

I suspect the fact that esvm40 is "not found" is the key to my problem here, but I cannot see what the actual problem might be. To me the files have too many parmissions rather than too little, no? As you can see, VAST was installed as root, but the user trying to run the IDE is a standard user.

And here is the error I get right after image start:

To me this looks like I can start VAST and the image is okay, but external calls don't work.

So how do I commence from here?

Joachim

Re: All PlatformFunctions fail with OS Error 1 on Linux (64 Bits)

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi Joachim,

How are you starting the image? Do you have a shell script to share?
In any case, looks like you are forgetting to export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH...something like:

Let us know,

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 4:50 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: All PlatformFunctions fail with OS Error 1 on Linux (64 Bits)

jtuchel
Mariano,

as always: your input was very helpful - Thanks so much for it.

I started by using your minimal abt.sh and ripping all of the stuff that's in the one shipping with VAST. I ended up with this minimal version:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/lib64:/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin
export PATH=/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/bin:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/adm:$PATH
export GCONV_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gconv:$GCONV_PATH

export DB2CODEPAGE=923
export DB2INSTANCE=db2inst1
export LANG=de_DE.iso88591

echo 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
echo 'PATH='$PATH

/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin/es -i$(pwd)/abt.icx -ini:$(pwd)/abt.ini

But I still had problems with expressions like this: UUID new

I was still getting OS Error 1 when libcrypto was used...

Not sure I remember all the details, but in the end it turned out that on Ubuntu machines where I could create UUIDs there was a link named libcrypto.so in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so but on this particular Kubuntu VM there was none.
What I did was apt install libssl1* and this installed a package named libssl1.0-dev. After that the link was there and I can now create UUIDs.

But there must have been some errors in my first versions of the abt.sh as well, because there were all kinds of OS Errors 1 during image startup.

Nevermind, it seems I could solve it. And you gave me a kick in the right direction. Thanks for that.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 6:45 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

as always: your input was very helpful - Thanks so much for it.

I started by using your minimal abt.sh and ripping all of the stuff that's in the one shipping with VAST. I ended up with this minimal version:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/lib64:/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin

Be careful you are not appending original LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the end...as you do with PATH and GCONV_PATH.
What I mean is that I would do this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/lib64:/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Just in case LD_LIBRARY_PATH was already defined so that you don't override it.

[...]

Yes, another alternative is to change .ini and specify

CRYPTO_LIB=libcrypto.xxx

Where libcrypto.xxx is the exact name of the lib in the OS.

Yet another alternative is to create yourself the symlink called libcrypto.so (if it doesn't exist) pointing to the version specific one.

But there must have been some errors in my first versions of the abt.sh as well, because there were all kinds of OS Errors 1 during image startup.

Nevermind, it seems I could solve it. And you gave me a kick in the right direction. Thanks for that.

No problem, my pleasure. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Mai 2019 23:58:49 UTC+2 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 6:45 PM <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="sOKRehWVAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jtu...@...> wrote:
Mariano,

as always: your input was very helpful - Thanks so much for it.

I started by using your minimal abt.sh and ripping all of the stuff that's in the one shipping with VAST. I ended up with this minimal version:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/lib64:/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin

Be careful you are not appending original LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the end...as you do with PATH and GCONV_PATH.
What I mean is that I would do this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/opt/ibm/db2/V11.1/lib64:/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.1x64/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Just in case LD_LIBRARY_PATH was already defined so that you don't override it.

I had removed that also (by accident) when I removed the abtslpath and db2 and oracle stuff from the original script. In my case LD_LIBRARY_PATH was ampty anyways, so no problem. I'll add it back, just in case...

Yes, another alternative is to change .ini and specify

CRYPTO_LIB=libcrypto.xxx

Where libcrypto.xxx is the exact name of the lib in the OS.

Yet another alternative is to create yourself the symlink called libcrypto.so (if it doesn't exist) pointing to the version specific one.

Yes, I am aware of both alternatives. I like the idea of keeping a record of all the packages needed in order to be able to reinstall a new machine at any time. Rather than keeping a long list of manual to-dos. Not sure this makes sense, but it feels better to keep things as close as possible to standard stuff you simple re-download and/or re-install... I admire and appreciate how reliable apt and friends are and don't like the idea of getting in their way...

No problem, my pleasure. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Don't worry about the "if" part here and pray it's going to be a "when" as far in the future as possible ;-) You're lucky for tonight: My eye-lids feel like 1.2 tons each ;-)

Joachim