All file accesses get externalCalledFailed exceptions.

All file accesses get externalCalledFailed exceptions.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Newbie to Pharo
Just installed the latest 8.0 stable image.
Some things work, but anything I do to access any files gets an exception dealing with getcwd in libc.dylib.

I am running MacOS Catalina.
I searched and found the lib.dylib file and it is an alias to another .dylib file.

Is there something else I need to install or configure?

Sent from my iPad

e876cb42-0161-4573-bdb7-0bf57c073efb.png (134K) Download Attachment

Re: All file accesses get externalCalledFailed exceptions.

Tim Mackinnon
H Michael- that seems strange, I just tried the following on a Pharo8 with Catalina:

OSPlatform current currentWorkingDirectoryPath.

> /Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit

I’m using PharoLauncher, although my images are not stored in Documents, but ~/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo (I adjusted the launcher settings). Not sure if that makes a difference? Or - perhaps you didn’t allow Pharo disk read privileges (that is a new security check in Catalina - see the OSX System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Files and Folders. Mine has a pharo entry with access to Downloads, Documents and Desktop).

Tim

Re: All file accesses get externalCalledFailed exceptions.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Tim!

Problem solved.

I did as you suggest and added Pharo.app (and Squeak*.app) to the "Files and Folders” and tried again.
That resolved the primary issue but when opening File Browser I got a different exception referring to /.VolumeIcon.icns not being able to be opened.
The volume was my boot partition and in Catalina that is a readonly filesystem.
I looked at that file with ls and file commands, and it turns out that it was a broken link to the same file in the contained Data volume.
The destination does not exist:
[graphe:/Volumes/Graphe6] Michael% file .VolumeIcon.icns
.VolumeIcon.icns: broken symbolic link to System/Volumes/Data/.VolumeIcon.icns

So, I created an empty file there:

[graphe:/Volumes/Graphe6] Michael% sudo touch .VolumeIcon.icns

And rechecked the link:

[graphe:/Volumes/Graphe6] Michael% file .VolumeIcon.icns
.VolumeIcon.icns: empty

File Browser now opens and lets me navigate around.

All is well.