Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Michael Davies-2
Hi All,
I've put together an alternative icon set for Squeak menus, based on the Tango public domain icons from http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project .
They're a combination of untouched Tango icons, some tweaked ones, and some that I've created specifically for Squeak uses, so the polish may vary. They're in the inbox as Morphic-MAD.505.mcz - have a look and let me know if there's any interest in bringing them into the trunk.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Michael

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Chris Muller-3
I like when Squeak upgrades its look.  These look pretty good.  But we
also need a replacement for the push-pin (on the upper-right of
menus), since that one has the "cartoon" look of the old icons.

Also, it looks like the icons in the TheWorldMainDockingBar's menu are
not all consistent with the World menu.  e.g., "Save Image" should
match "save" in the World menu.

Thanks for doing this!
  Chris

On 1 January 2011 22:27, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like when Squeak upgrades its look.  These look pretty good.  But we
also need a replacement for the push-pin (on the upper-right of
menus), since that one has the "cartoon" look of the old icons.

Also, it looks like the icons in the TheWorldMainDockingBar's menu are
not all consistent with the World menu.  e.g., "Save Image" should
match "save" in the World menu.

Okay, Morphic-MAD.507 in the inbox now has a nicer (in my opinion) pin icon.
I've also corrected the postscript, so all the icons should be updated correctly.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Chris Muller-3
Wow, they look just great Michael, thank you!

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Michael Davies
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 January 2011 22:27, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I like when Squeak upgrades its look.  These look pretty good.  But we
>> also need a replacement for the push-pin (on the upper-right of
>> menus), since that one has the "cartoon" look of the old icons.
>>
>> Also, it looks like the icons in the TheWorldMainDockingBar's menu are
>> not all consistent with the World menu.  e.g., "Save Image" should
>> match "save" in the World menu.
>>

> Okay, Morphic-MAD.507 in the inbox now has a nicer (in my opinion) pin icon.
> I've also corrected the postscript, so all the icons should be updated
> correctly.
>
> Cheers, Michael

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

What is about changing Squeak icons by using "Skin logic" model, when somebody could choose the comfortable UI icons theme.. (Classic Squeak, Cartoon, Tango, etc.) ?
Cold, blue Tango icons are good, but as for me, the default Squeak icons are looking really brighter and thus more alive )

Regards,
Nikolay

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've put together an alternative icon set for Squeak menus, based on the
> Tango public domain icons from
> http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project .
> They're a combination of untouched Tango icons, some tweaked ones, and some
> that I've created specifically for Squeak uses, so the polish may vary.
> They're in the inbox as Morphic-MAD.505.mcz - have a look and let me know if
> there's any interest in bringing them into the trunk.
>
> Cheers and Happy New Year,
> Michael

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Chris Muller-3
The pluggable "skins" / "themes" concept is great (in fact I believe
Squeak already has "themes" which might be a good place to put icon
sets too).  Someone just has to do the work.

In terms of this contribution, it's time for a change.  The old icons
have been around for many years and have have not always been to
Squeak's benefit.

However, equally important to the icons themselves, to me, is that
constructive energy from our volunteer community is captured and
channeled toward the end product.

 - Chris

On 6 January 2011 16:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
The pluggable "skins" / "themes" concept is great (in fact I believe
Squeak already has "themes" which might be a good place to put icon
sets too).  Someone just has to do the work.

Have a look at Morphic-MAD.508 in the inbox which is a first attempt at a solution.
It's not tied into any existing theme or preference frameworks, but does allow you to select your preferred icon set, including no icons at all.

It's by no means the finished article, which will have to wait until the weekend, but it will give people something to play with. If anyone has any feedback on the content or implementation, or pointers on how to integrate this with a wider theming approach, please let me know.

In terms of this contribution, it's time for a change.  The old icons
have been around for many years and have have not always been to
Squeak's benefit.

That's obviously my view too, but I understand that Nikolay and many others are fond of the existing icons, so I'm happy to give people a choice.

However, equally important to the icons themselves, to me, is that
constructive energy from our volunteer community is captured and
channeled toward the end product.

Absolutely!

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Michael Davies-2 wrote
I've put together an alternative icon set for Squeak menus
This is cool!  Thanks :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Nikolay Suslov
Michael,

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Michael Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have a look at Morphic-MAD.508 in the inbox which is a first attempt at a solution.
It's not tied into any existing theme or preference frameworks, but does allow you to select your preferred icon set, including no icons at all.

That's great!

Regards,
Nikolay

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Chris Muller-3
> Have a look at Morphic-MAD.508 in the inbox which is a first attempt at a
> solution.
> It's not tied into any existing theme or preference frameworks, but does
> allow you to select your preferred icon set, including no icons at all.
>
> It's by no means the finished article, which will have to wait until the
> weekend, but it will give people something to play with. If anyone has any
> feedback on the content or implementation, or pointers on how to integrate
> this with a wider theming approach, please let me know.

My concern with 508 is having multiple icon-sets in the image, taking
up space when only one will be used at a time.

One way to alleviate this would be to factor alternative-Icon
subclasses into their own separate package..

Re: Alternative icons for Squeak menus

Ken G. Brown
In Squeak 4.2-10966 I tried loading Morphic-MAD.508 from the Inbox.
Got a MNU, MenuIcons class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #openIconContents

Are there some pre-requisites I'm missing?

I liked the previous red debug icon, and the 3D look of the old push pin so was wondering if there were some icon set options available now.

Ken