Alternative window manager

Thomas Dupriez
Hello,

Does an alternative window manager for pharo exist?

For some reasons I always end up with a tangled mess of windows when
using the default one. My biggest gripe is that new windows tend to open
on top of other windows, blocking the view even if there is still empty
space elsewhere.

I watched this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0eNaGzAZU )
about the i3 window manager for linux and how it paves the screen with
the windows to optimise screen space and make things look less messy,
and was wondering whether something like that existed for pharo.

Cheers,
Thomas

Re: Alternative window manager

alistairgrant
Hi Thomas,

On 10 November 2017 at 11:46, Thomas Dupriez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does an alternative window manager for pharo exist?
>
> For some reasons I always end up with a tangled mess of windows when using
> the default one. My biggest gripe is that new windows tend to open on top of
> other windows, blocking the view even if there is still empty space
> elsewhere.
>
> I watched this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0eNaGzAZU ) about
> the i3 window manager for linux and how it paves the screen with the windows
> to optimise screen space and make things look less messy, and was wondering
> whether something like that existed for pharo.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Have you looked at Tiling Window Manager?  It doesn't solve the
problem of windows opening on top of each other, but makes it easy to
position them:

Metacello new
    baseline: 'TilingWindowManager';
    repository: 'github://Pharophile/TilingWindowManager:master/packages';
    load.

If there's another window manager that is similar to i3 or Awesome I'd
love to hear about it. :-)

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: Alternative window manager

philippe.back@highoctane.be
I need to give it some love as the keybindings are all acting bad.
Aerosnap style stuff to be added as well.

There is an issue with integrating the world menu due to morphic changes.
Do I disabled it.

I'll give it a shot for 6.1 as  it is now a 5
0 thing.
Phil

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does an alternative window manager for pharo exist?
>
> For some reasons I always end up with a tangled mess of windows when using
> the default one. My biggest gripe is that new windows tend to open on top of
> other windows, blocking the view even if there is still empty space
> elsewhere.
>
> I watched this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0eNaGzAZU ) about
> the i3 window manager for linux and how it paves the screen with the windows
> to optimise screen space and make things look less messy, and was wondering
> whether something like that existed for pharo.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Have you looked at Tiling Window Manager?  It doesn't solve the
problem of windows opening on top of each other, but makes it easy to
position them:

Metacello new
    baseline: 'TilingWindowManager';
    repository: 'github://Pharophile/TilingWindowManager:master/packages';
    load.

If there's another window manager that is similar to i3 or Awesome I'd
love to hear about it. :-)

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: Alternative window manager