Alternatives to MSE?

Usman Bhatti

Hello,

I am looking for the alternatives to the MSE format for model persistency. The current problems I see with MSE:

- It is all or nothing approach (hence loading takes time)
- need to add entities to model to be able to store them on the disk and this approach does not work well when you want to persist duplication information, caches and annotations.

There was a Fuel-based solution and I am wondering if it can be helpful.

While looking for persistency solutions for Pharo, I came across several solutions like Voyage/Mongo, GLORP, StandStoneBD, and Magma.

http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence

Did anyone try any of these tools in the context Moose? I would do a pilot (saving n retrieving a test model, playing with caches and properties) with Voyage/Mongo to understand the impact of their usage.

Usman

On 07 Apr 2014, at 08:15, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for the alternatives to the MSE format for model persistency. The current problems I see with MSE:

- It is all or nothing approach (hence loading takes time)

usman
andre developed filtering to load and save mse.
The model we save do not have to same everything. Now people systematically wants to ignore that and this is ok.
But you can save a coherent partial model and load it back.

- need to add entities to model to be able to store them on the disk and this approach does not work well when you want to persist duplication information, caches and annotations.

You have to extend the ImportingContext and define the information you want to save and you will be done.
Saving to a DB will not solve such problems.

There was a Fuel-based solution and I am wondering if it can be helpful.

While looking for persistency solutions for Pharo, I came across several solutions like Voyage/Mongo, GLORP, StandStoneBD, and Magma.

Magma is too slow
SandstoneBD is an image side solution.
Glorp => you have to map your object to relation database so before starting I would do a little prototype with well tohught examples.’
Voyage?mongo you will have to have a look at GridFS because you may have too large model.