Always walltime

Paul Baumann

We use the -walltime command switch. It means having to define and maintain a Windows shortcut just to use it. Anybody know of a way to make walltime the default behavior so we can get rid of the Windows shortcut?

Windows platforms

On MS Windows systems, this switch is supported:

-walltime

Use the lower-resolution GetSystemTimeAsFileTime instead of

QueryPerformanceCounter to drive the microsecond clock. This is

useful for long-running applications that are very time sensitive, since

the default QueryPerformanceCounter, while higher-resolution, tends

to drift from the wall clock over a period of hours.

Paul Baumann

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Always walltime

Reinout Heeck-2
Paul Baumann wrote:

> We use the -walltime command switch. It means having to define and
> maintain a Windows shortcut just to use it. Anybody know of a way
> to make walltime the default behavior so we can get rid of the Windows
> shortcut?

We use reshacker to combine VM & image into a single executable, perhaps
the same tool can be used to 'wrap a cmd line option around' just a VM.

-

> ** *
>
> *Windows platforms*
>
> On MS Windows systems, this switch is supported:
>
> * *
>
> *-walltime*
>
> Use the lower-resolution GetSystemTimeAsFileTime instead of
>
> QueryPerformanceCounter to drive the microsecond clock. This is
>
> useful for long-running applications that are very time sensitive, since
>
> the default QueryPerformanceCounter, while higher-resolution, tends
>
> to drift from the wall clock over a period of hours.
>
> *
>
> *Paul Baumann*

> This message may contain confidential information and is intended for
> specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have
> reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message,
> please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent
> the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries
> or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee.
> Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this
> message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue
> alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is
> desired.

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: Always walltime

Ralf Propach
Which version are you using?
Since at least 7.4d this switch does not do anything.
The current explaination when you call visual -? is
"-walltime ignored option retained for backwards-compatibility".
I think there was a change to the VM so that the switch is not needed anymore.

Ralf

Paul Baumann wrote:

> We use the -walltime command switch. It means having to define and maintain a Windows shortcut just to use it. Anybody know of a way to make walltime the default behavior so we can get rid of the Windows shortcut?
>

> Windows platforms
>
> On MS Windows systems, this switch is supported:
>
> -walltime
>
> Use the lower-resolution GetSystemTimeAsFileTime instead of
>
> QueryPerformanceCounter to drive the microsecond clock. This is
>
> useful for long-running applications that are very time sensitive, since
>
> the default QueryPerformanceCounter, while higher-resolution, tends
>
> to drift from the wall clock over a period of hours.
>

> Paul Baumann
>

> ________________________________
> This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Ralf Propach, [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 975 99 38   Fax: +49 231 975 99 20
Georg Heeg eK (Dortmund)
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Always walltime

Paul Baumann
Ralf,

Good catch. We are using a version that has it disabled. Goodbye shortcut--at least some of them.

Reinout,

I'll look into reshacker. Thanks. I was looking at a bat-to-exe program yesterday but several people had commented that some virus checkers mistake it as dangerous.

Paul Baumann