Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Thomas Gagné-2
I just saved my image and the Transcript reported it was only 12:22AM,
but my laptop (and eyelids) are pretty confident it's 1:22AM.  Was their
a script I missed for US DST?

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/>,<http://gagne.homedns.org/> or
      <http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/> for more great reading.

Re: Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Joachim Geidel
Thomas Gagné schrieb am 14.03.2007 06:26:
> I just saved my image and the Transcript reported it was only 12:22AM,
> but my laptop (and eyelids) are pretty confident it's 1:22AM.  Was their
> a script I missed for US DST?

For info on VisualWorks and the new DST rules see James Robertson's blog:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3351170949

Besides other options, he mentions a patch which is available from
Cincom support.

HTH,
Joachim Geidel

Re: Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Thomas Gagné-2
Perfect.  Thank you.

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/>,<http://gagne.homedns.org/> or
      <http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/> for more great reading.

RE: Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Stew MacLean

What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
operating system, this will still function correctly?

Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.

I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
7.4).

Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.

Is this the correct version to be using?

Thanks,

Stewart

jarober
I have tested (22,jamesr) on Windows, my (rather
old) Linux Box, and under OSX.  Thus far, it's worked for me on all three.

At 03:50 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
>operating system, this will still function correctly?
>
>Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.
>
>I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
>version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
>7.4).
>
>Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
>to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.
>
>Is this the correct version to be using?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stewart

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Re: Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Travis Griggs-3
On Mar 14, 2007, at 12:50, Stewart MacLean wrote:

Hi,

What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
operating system, this will still function correctly?

Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.

I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
7.4).

Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.

Is this the correct version to be using?

Version 21 was known to work on all 3 major platforms once upon a time. Since I pushed James to use it recently, there's a good chance that it (version 22) is a minor twist from version 21.

Once you loaded, you want to execute:

OSSystemSupportTimeZone use

in a workspace

Said package has support in it for two approaches. One is to attempt to figure out how to build the VW TimeZone object from OS queries. IMO, this approach is fundamentally doomed. The above expression places an object in as your current Timezone that is API compatible with the original Timezone objects, but defers the computation to the OS/libraries. What this means is that if you change your timezone on your OS, VW will just track right along with that. Or when DST happens, it'll just work their too. Regardless of how often the US Congress keep yanking it around in a long gone appeasement to Benjamin Franklin who came up with this idea *after* the whole lightning and kite incident. If you want to see it in action, do this:

[InputState default shiftDown] whileFalse: [(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait. Transcript print: Time now; cr; endEntry]

And then go mess around with your time zone and watch it change. Set the date and time so it's right next to the DST switch and it'll track with that.

The one exception to this is Linux. It is a known (and to date unfixed) problem with linux variant glibc that the TZinfo is snapshotted at process start time, so you have to restart VW after a tz change to get it to see it.

It is my opinion that for most applications, this is the ideal thing to do. There are people that like to do complex cross timezone computations and reports. They should probably be using something like Chronos.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

RE: Am I the only one that missed a DST setting for VW 7.2.1?

Stew MacLean
Hi James,

FYI I've tested this on a friends Mac OS X tonight without success I'm
afraid.
It can't see the library, but not sure why...

[8] LibraryNotLoadedError class(GenericException class)>>raiseWith:
[9] ExternalLibrary>>primLoadLibrary:
[10] ExternalLibrary>>load
[11] ExternalLibrary>>mapAddressForName:
[12] ExternalLibraryHolder>>mapAddressForName:
[13] ExternalMethod class>>mapAddressFor:library:
[14] optimized [] in ExternalMethod class>>mapVirtualAddressFor:in:
[15] [] in LinkedOrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:
[16] LinkedOrderedCollection(OrderedCollection)>>do:
[17] LinkedOrderedCollection>>ownDo:
[18] LinkedOrderedCollection>>performDo:block:path:
[19] LinkedOrderedCollection>>do:
[20] LinkedOrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:
[21] ExternalMethod class>>mapVirtualAddressFor:in:
[22] ExternalMethod class>>virtualHandleForClass:external:
[23] ExternalMethod>>unlinkedCall:arguments:
[24] optimized [] in UnixSystemSupport>>osTimestampNow
[25] BlockClosure>>ensure:
[26] MacOSXSystemSupport(UnixSystemSupport)>>osTimestampNow
[27] MacOSXSystemSupport(OSSystemSupport)>>osSetTimeZone
[28] TimeZone class>>osSetTimeZone

[8] LibraryNotLoadedError class(GenericException class)>>raiseWith:
        Receiver: (id=15501) LibraryNotLoadedError
        Arg1: (id=8203) a SystemError(#'generic
error','NSObjectFileImageAccess')
[9] ExternalLibrary>>primLoadLibrary:
        Receiver: (id=5810) an ExternalLibrary
        Arg1: (id=7283) #[108 105 98 99 46 100 121 108 105 98]
[10] ExternalLibrary>>load
        Receiver: (id=5810) an ExternalLibrary
[11] ExternalLibrary>>mapAddressForName:
        Receiver: (id=5810) an ExternalLibrary
        Arg1: (id=8756) #gettimeofday
[12] ExternalLibraryHolder>>mapAddressForName:
        Receiver: (id=10229) an ExternalLibraryHolder
        Arg1: (id=8756) #gettimeofday
[13] ExternalMethod class>>mapAddressFor:library:
        Receiver: (id=6096) ExternalMethod
        Arg1: (id=12488) ExternalMethod
UnixSystemSupport>>prim_gettimeofday:with:
        Arg2: (id=10229) an ExternalLibraryHolder
[16] LinkedOrderedCollection(OrderedCollection)>>do:
        Receiver: (id=12574) LinkedOrderedCollection (an
ExternalLibraryHolder)
        Arg1: (id=12255) BlockClosure [] in Collection>>detect:ifNone:

>I have tested (22,jamesr) on Windows, my (rather
>old) Linux Box, and under OSX.  Thus far, it's worked for me on all
three.

>At 03:50 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
>>operating system, this will still function correctly?
>>
>>Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.
>>
>>I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
>>version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
>>7.4).
>>
>>Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
>>to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.
>>
>>Is this the correct version to be using?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Stewart

Glazier, Sean
I sent a message to the author earlier and I should post to the list as well.

Look at the class for the library it wants to load and search for it on your system. Once found you can do 2 things add the PATH to the PATH variable in your .profile and it should find it or put in the directory in the class definition to let Smalltalk know where to find it on your stem. Then it should load.

HTH,

Sean

> [...]

ExternalLibraryHolder)
        Arg1: (id=12255) BlockClosure [] in Collection>>detect:ifNone:

>I have tested (22,jamesr) on Windows, my (rather
>old) Linux Box, and under OSX.  Thus far, it's worked for me on all
three.

>At 03:50 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
>>operating system, this will still function correctly?
>>
>>Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.
>>
>>I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
>>version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
>>7.4).
>>
>>Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
>>to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.
>>
>>Is this the correct version to be using?

Forgot one step,

If you add to the PATH variable the path of the library, Then at a command line in your home directory type "source .profile" so the PATH gets updated and exported for VW to see.

Sean

> [...]

ExternalLibraryHolder)
        Arg1: (id=12255) BlockClosure [] in Collection>>detect:ifNone:

>I have tested (22,jamesr) on Windows, my (rather
>old) Linux Box, and under OSX.  Thus far, it's worked for me on all
three.

>At 03:50 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>What about OSTimeZone? I guess that with patches to the underlying
>>operating system, this will still function correctly?
>>
>>Also, I'm still having trouble getting it to work under Unix/MacOSX.
>>
>>I've looked at the versions in the repository and see that the shipped
>>version (7.2.2.3) was one before the Release version (7.2.2.2.1). (VW
>>7.4).
>>
>>Given that there's been quite a lot of changes subsequently, I'm about
>>to try (22,jamesr) - I've yet to test this on a Mac/Linux machine.
>>
>>Is this the correct version to be using?

Thanks James, Travis and Sean for you help.

I suspect that maybe because I unpacked the archive to the desktop, this
is why it's not finding the library. I'm guessing that if I put it in
the Applications folder, this may do the trick.

Unfortunately, the turnaround for this is slow, as I'm using a friends
OS X to test. Just gotta get a Mac...

Cheers,

Stewart