Amber.JS - name for conference

Uģis Ozols

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it would be ok with you (the ones behind Amber Smalltalk) if I would use Amber.JS for conference name. Amber.JS will be a conference all about JavaScript.

Why Amber? I live in Latvia and name Amber is used quite a lot here and since I'm planning to organize this conf near so called Amber Sea (you can read more about Amber in Latvia here http://www.latvia.lv/library/amber-latvia) it just makes perfect sense to do so.

WDYT?

Re: Amber.JS - name for conference

Clément Béra
Hello,

Are you going to talk about Amber (the one from the mailing list) in this JavaScript conference ?

2013/3/22 Uģis Ozols <[hidden email]>

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it would be ok with you (the ones behind Amber Smalltalk) if I would use Amber.JS for conference name. Amber.JS will be a conference all about JavaScript.

Why Amber? I live in Latvia and name Amber is used quite a lot here and since I'm planning to organize this conf near so called Amber Sea (you can read more about Amber in Latvia here http://www.latvia.lv/library/amber-latvia) it just makes perfect sense to do so.

WDYT?

Re: Amber.JS - name for conference

Hannes Hirzel
I assume as the conference is about JavaScript contributions about
Amber Smalltalk would be fine as it uses JavaScript as a "VM" and you
can embed JavaScript in Amber Smalltalk.

Right,  Uģis Ozois?

In fact it would be good if somebody could go there to present Amber Smalltalk.

Uģis Ozois, what about inviting  Nicolas Petton or Herby, Manfred,
Goran or somebody else to give a talk there?

--Hannes

On 3/22/13, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are you going to talk about Amber (the one from the mailing list) in this
> JavaScript conference ?
>
> 2013/3/22 Uģis Ozols <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I was wondering if it would be ok with you (the ones behind Amber
>> Smalltalk) if I would use Amber.JS for conference name. Amber.JS will be
>> conference all about JavaScript.
>>
>> Why Amber? I live in Latvia and name Amber is used quite a lot here and
>> since I'm planning to organize this conf near so called Amber Sea (you
>> can
>> read more about Amber in Latvia here
>> http://www.latvia.lv/library/amber-latvia) it just makes perfect sense to
>> do so.
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: Amber.JS - name for conference

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

I only fear that there would be 2 websites related to JS with the name Amber. We talked about a similar issue with the guys behind Ember.js, they originally planned to name it Amber.js and kindly changed to Ember.js because Amber was already a JS related project.

Cheers,
Nico

On Mar 22, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Uģis Ozols <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it would be ok with you (the ones behind Amber Smalltalk) if I would use Amber.JS for conference name. Amber.JS will be a conference all about JavaScript.

Why Amber? I live in Latvia and name Amber is used quite a lot here and since I'm planning to organize this conf near so called Amber Sea (you can read more about Amber in Latvia here http://www.latvia.lv/library/amber-latvia) it just makes perfect sense to do so.

WDYT?

Re: Amber.JS - name for conference

sebastianconcept
Hi Ugis,

If the public is global then with Amber.JS you'll produce a name clash that will not exactly help this Amber brand not yours

If it's close to the so called Amber Sea you can call it AmberSea or AmberSea.JS

It's evocative enough, you don't loose the rapport and it's short too

I've recently saw something like this happen with TED authorizing the naming of a TEDx event and restrict it to the naming of the place so it makes sense and at the same time it doesn't clash with brands or other too wide names

Thanks for your attitude in talking about this here

author of airflowing, founder of flowing
TEDx Curator