Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Tommaso DS
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a "standard amber way" to package and distribute amber code.
The curiosity comes from using Tide with the new Amber, but it can easily apply to any amber code.

Right now we can drop the .st/.js files in a subdirectory of the project created with 'amber init', but maybe it would be useful to provide a deploy.js/develop.js for quick integration of the code.
Are there any guidelines about that? What do you think it is needed? Would we also need to define a library.amd.js file for configuration?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Herby Vojčík

tommaso.dalsasso@gmail.comnapísal/a:

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is a "standard amber way" to package and distribute amber code.

----

What is "amber code"?

Herby Vojčík wrote:

> tommaso.dalsasso@gmail.comnapísal/a:
>
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if there is a "standard amber way" to package and distribute amber code.
>
> ----
>
> What is "amber code"?

Ah, you mean library made in Amber.

There is no "packaging" per se. Library code should be left as-is, in
its git repo. Library's client installs it via bower*, just as any other
dependency**. It works out of the box, as everything enabling this kind
of reuse is already included (in fact, the "config.js-and-*.amd.json"
system was designed especially for libraries to be reusable without any
additional steps).

* Either directly installing from git url, if the library is
nonpublished, or via bower registry name, when you published it by
`bower register published-name git-url`.

** Only final app is "packaged" for deployment via `grunt deploy`. It
then packages all involved libraries as well into final the.js.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Tommaso DS
Ok, I see, thanks for your answer.
Can you please point me some documentation to better understand the config.js/*.amd.js files?

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Herby Vojčík
Amber config wiki page in amber-smalltalk/amber.
herby/amd-config-builder repo's README.md.

But if you just want to reuse a library, you do not need anything else except include it in your project. All else just works thanks to config.js built from .amd.json files.

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Amber config wiki page in amber-smalltalk/amber.
> herby/amd-config-builder repo's README.md.
>
> But if you just want to reuse a library, you do not need anything else
> except include it in your project. All else just works thanks to
> config.js built from .amd.json files.

BTW, both Helios and IDE starter are Amber(-friendly) libraries that are
included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out
of the box by including them.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Tommaso DS
Great, thanks a lot!

Il giorno martedì 9 dicembre 2014 11:53:43 UTC+1, Herby ha scritto:

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Amber config wiki page in amber-smalltalk/amber.
> herby/amd-config-builder repo's README.md.
>
> But if you just want to reuse a library, you do not need anything else
> except include it in your project. All else just works thanks to
> config.js built from .amd.json files.

BTW, both Helios and IDE starter are Amber(-friendly) libraries that are
included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out
of the box by including them.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Hannes Hirzel
On 12/9/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herby Vojčík wrote:
>> Amber config wiki page in amber-smalltalk/amber.
>> herby/amd-config-builder repo's README.md.
>>
>> But if you just want to reuse a library, you do not need anything else
>> except include it in your project. All else just works thanks to
>> config.js built from .amd.json files.
>
> BTW, both Helios and IDE starter are Amber(-friendly) libraries that are
> included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out
> of the box by including them.

What dou you mean by 'including'? In which file?

The following files do not mention Helios and the IDE starter

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/bower.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/package.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/external/amber-cli/package.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/external/amber-dev/package.json

--HH

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Hannes Hirzel
On 12/9/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herby Vojčík wrote:
>> Amber config wiki page in amber-smalltalk/amber.
>> herby/amd-config-builder repo's README.md.
>>
>> But if you just want to reuse a library, you do not need anything else
>> except include it in your project. All else just works thanks to
>> config.js built from .amd.json files.
>
> BTW, both Helios and IDE starter are Amber(-friendly) libraries that are
> included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out
> of the box by including them.

What dou you mean by 'including'? In which file?

The following files do not mention Helios and the IDE starter

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/bower.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/package.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/external/amber-cli/package.json
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/external/amber-dev/package.json

--HH

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Herby Vojčík
Citing myself:

>> included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out

All files you mentioned are files of Amber itself.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, found it

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/grunt-init-amber/blob/master/template.js#L158

--HH

On 12/9/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Citing myself:
>
>>> included in every `amber init`-created project, and they just work out
>
> All files you mentioned are files of Amber itself.

Re: Amber Packages (or: reuse Amber code)

Hannes Hirzel
But I wonder why there is no need for a

      helios.amd.json

file?

H. Hirzel wrote:
> But I wonder why there is no need for a
>
>        helios.amd.json
>
> file?

Because it is an Amber library, having its own .amd.json files.

libdir.amd.json is a workaround for those who haven't.