Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

12

Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi,

some time ago I enlisted Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net and thought I'd mention it here for those unaware of it.

If you never heard of Ohloh.net, it does the following things:

* build metrics around open source projects
* lets people claim their contributions to various projects (free account needed)
* lets people show which projects they use

Overall I think it is a nice way of looking at open source projects.

Happy digging around,
Manfred

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Nicolas Petton

Thanks Manfred :)

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Hannes Hirzel
Interesting to note  that the amount of effort which went into Amber
is estimatedn a 46 years!

And that the development team is large....

https://www.ohloh.net/p/amber-lang/

--Hannes

On 12/28/12, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Manfred :)
>
> Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some time ago I enlisted Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net and thought I'd
>> mention it here for those unaware of it.
>>
>> https://www.ohloh.net/p/amber-lang/
>>
>> If you never heard of Ohloh.net, it does the following things:
>>
>> * build metrics around open source projects
>> * lets people claim their contributions to various projects (free account
>> needed)
>> * lets people show which projects they use
>>
>> Overall I think it is a nice way of looking at open source projects.
>>
>> Happy digging around,
>> Manfred
>
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Interesting to note  that the amount of effort which went into Amber
> is estimatedn a 46 years!

Well, that's probably just the sheer size of generated .js files...

Herby

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

kilon.alios
I have added a list for ignored files.

Now it wont count in as part of amber code, the js files produced from smalltalk code and the third party libraries used.

This way its more fair.

here is the ignore list ->

Disallow: js/
Disallow: support/CodeMirror
Disallow: support/bootstrap
Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
Disallow: support/jQuery
Disallow: support/showdown

On Friday, December 28, 2012 7:16:51 PM UTC+2, Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
Hi,

some time ago I enlisted Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net and thought I'd mention it here for those unaware of it.

If you never heard of Ohloh.net, it does the following things:

* build metrics around open source projects
* lets people claim their contributions to various projects (free account needed)
* lets people show which projects they use

Overall I think it is a nice way of looking at open source projects.

Happy digging around,
Manfred

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi,

thanks for updating the page.
Now that the generated .js files are in a separate directory this actually makes sense :-)

Best,
Manfred

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

my pleasure. Yeah ignoring each file separately would definitely be a nightmare.

I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in support folder. Generally I cant say I like the file structure of amber. I would put st and js folder in a Lib main folder, "support" would be renamed to "third party" and would removed anything non third party related etc.

Also the idea to remove the third party libraries all together and instead use a package manager like Bower to fetch them so they are not part of the amber repo is a very good idea as has been suggested on another thread. But that just my opinion.

On 8/13/13, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for updating the page.
> Now that the generated .js files are in a separate directory this actually
> makes sense :-)

You mean the https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/tree/master/js
folder and  that it is excluded from being counted by Ohloh? Right?

--Hannes

On 8/13/13, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> my pleasure. Yeah ignoring each file separately would definitely be a
> nightmare.
>
> I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same
> folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in
> support folder.

+1
amber.js should not be in
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/tree/master/support

What is the the reason that it is in the support folder and not for example in
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/tree/master/js

BTW according to the pie chart at https://www.ohloh.net/p/amber-lang/#

90% of the code of the Amber project is still Javascript code.

But JavaScript is so to say the "machine-language" (compiled code)
which uses "binary" libraries (which happen to be JavaScript). I would
like to see the Smalltalk part stand out more in the pie chart. I
assume this means more refinements either in the project structure or
the configuration of the Amber Ohloh setup.

--Hannes

 Generally I cant say I like the file structure of amber. I

> would put st and js folder in a Lib main folder, "support" would be renamed
> to "third party" and would removed anything non third party related etc.
>
> Also the idea to remove the third party libraries all together and instead
> use a package manager like Bower to fetch them so they are not part of the
> amber repo is a very good idea as has been suggested on another thread. But
> that just my opinion.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Manfred Kröhnert <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for updating the page.
>> Now that the generated .js files are in a separate directory this
>> actually
>> makes sense :-)
>>
>> Best,
>> Manfred
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM, kilon alios
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I have added a list for ignored files.
>>>
>>> Now it wont count in as part of amber code, the js files produced from
>>> smalltalk code and the third party libraries used.
>>>
>>> This way its more fair.
>>>
>>> here is the ignore list ->
>>>
>>> Disallow: js/
>>> Disallow: support/CodeMirror
>>> Disallow: support/bootstrap
>>> Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
>>> Disallow: support/jQuery
>>> Disallow: support/showdown

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

kilon.alios
yeah exactly , the ignored files now will greatly increase the smalltalk percentage over javascript. It was counting the compiled libraries and third party libraries hence the low percentage since all of them are in Js.

Give it a few days to update and should be more fair next time.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/13/13, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for updating the page.
> Now that the generated .js files are in a separate directory this actually
> makes sense :-)

You mean the https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/tree/master/js
folder and  that it is excluded from being counted by Ohloh? Right?

Yes, this is the directory I was referring to.

Manfred

--Hannes

On Aug 13, 2013, at 10:39 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in support folder.

They will go away :)

Nico

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

kilon.alios
nice to hear that Nico.

Ohloh now reports that amber is 70% smalltalk code and 30% javascript code. Had to ignore a couple of third party libraries, maybe there is few that eluded me. At least it no longer reports 90% javascript and 8% smalltalk.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2013, at 10:39 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in support folder.

They will go away :)

Nico

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Hannes Hirzel
Ohloh reports that amber is 19% smalltalk code and 81% javascript
code. I wonder what happened since the last check on the 14th August
where ist was 70% Smalltalk.

On 8/14/13, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> nice to hear that Nico.
>
> Ohloh now reports that amber is 70% smalltalk code and 30% javascript code.
> Had to ignore a couple of third party libraries, maybe there is few that
> eluded me. At least it no longer reports 90% javascript and 8% smalltalk.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas Petton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 10:39 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same
>> folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in
>> support folder.
>>

>> They will go away :)
>>
>> Nico

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

kilon.alios
I have set the ignore filters that brought down the +80% for JS , the only thing I can think of, is that you changed the folder structure in some way and my ignores point to wrong folders or there is something wrong with Ohloh and ignores my ignores (pun most certainly intended )

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ohloh reports that amber is 19% smalltalk code and 81% javascript
code. I wonder what happened since the last check on the 14th August
where ist was 70% Smalltalk.

On 8/14/13, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> nice to hear that Nico.
>
> Ohloh now reports that amber is 70% smalltalk code and 30% javascript code.
> Had to ignore a couple of third party libraries, maybe there is few that
> eluded me. At least it no longer reports 90% javascript and 8% smalltalk.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas Petton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 10:39 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same
>> folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in
>> support folder.
>>

>> They will go away :)
>>
>> Nico

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Manfred Kröhnert
The reorganization which came with the AMD modularization probably doesn't match with the original filters.
They should be adapted to the new structure.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have set the ignore filters that brought down the +80% for JS , the only thing I can think of, is that you changed the folder structure in some way and my ignores point to wrong folders or there is something wrong with Ohloh and ignores my ignores (pun most certainly intended )

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ohloh reports that amber is 19% smalltalk code and 81% javascript
code. I wonder what happened since the last check on the 14th August
where ist was 70% Smalltalk.

On 8/14/13, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> nice to hear that Nico.
>
> Ohloh now reports that amber is 70% smalltalk code and 30% javascript code.
> Had to ignore a couple of third party libraries, maybe there is few that
> eluded me. At least it no longer reports 90% javascript and 8% smalltalk.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Nicolas Petton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 10:39 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am also not convinced why third party libraries should be in the same
>> folder with amber libraries, like what happens with amber.js being in
>> support folder.
>>

>> They will go away :)
>>
>> Nico

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Hannes Hirzel
It was and still is the AMD adapted list of files to be ingnored for the metrics

- js libraries used as is
- generated js files

Disallow: js/
Disallow: support/CodeMirror
Disallow: support/bootstrap
Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
Disallow: support/jQuery
Disallow: support/showdown
Disallow: cli/js
Disallow: grunt/
Disallow: images/

I have added

Disallow: bin/amber-cli.js

which is a 1.4MB generated JavaScript file.

Maybe there are other candidates like this. So in three days we will
see the new results.

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:

> It was and still is the AMD adapted list of files to be ingnored for the metrics
>
> - js libraries used as is
> - generated js files
>
> Disallow: js/
> Disallow: support/CodeMirror
> Disallow: support/bootstrap
> Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
> Disallow: support/jQuery
> Disallow: support/showdown
> Disallow: cli/js
> Disallow: grunt/
> Disallow: images/

Why disallow grunt and images? They are both part of amber.

Herby

Re: Amber Smalltalk on Ohloh.net

Hannes Hirzel
I have changed https://www.ohloh.net/p/amber-lang/enlistments
(button 'Edit ignored files')

to contain

Disallow: js/
Disallow: support/CodeMirror
Disallow: support/bootstrap
Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
Disallow: support/jQuery
Disallow: support/showdown
Disallow: cli/js
Disallow: bin/amber-cli.js

thus grund and images will be included in the language use and loc
statistics (in 1..2 hours hopefully).

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:

> I have changed https://www.ohloh.net/p/amber-lang/enlistments
> (button 'Edit ignored files')
>
> to contain
>
> Disallow: js/
> Disallow: support/CodeMirror
> Disallow: support/bootstrap
> Disallow: support/es5-shim-2.0.2
> Disallow: support/jQuery
> Disallow: support/showdown
> Disallow: cli/js
> Disallow: bin/amber-cli.js

If this is in, test/*.js should be, too.

Herby

12