Amber Smalltalk

Rahul Gandhi
Hi all!!!
Can some one tell me best source for learing Amber smalltalk ?
and How Amber can be used in storing the source code?
Thanks in Advance !!!

Re: Amber Smalltalk

Jerome Baum
Note that once you commit a new package it won't automatically be loaded on a refresh. You'll need to do something like this:

    jQuery getScript: 'js/MyPackage.js'

Then you may need to close and re-open the Browser tab.

I will do some shameless self-promotion and mention that on http://www.herospaces.com you can create a personal Amber workspace and commit to it without bothering with Node.js. You will have the same extra step to load your own packages though.

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:01:08 PM UTC+2, Rahul Gandhi wrote:
Hi all!!!
Can some one tell me best source for learing Amber smalltalk ?
and How Amber can be used in storing the source code?
Thanks in Advance !!!

Re: Amber Smalltalk

Herby Vojčík

Jerome Baum wrote:
> Note that once you commit a new package it won't automatically be loaded
> on a refresh. You'll need to do something like this:
>
> jQuery getScript: 'js/MyPackage.js'

Eh, it suffices to add it to the loadAmber parameter packages (without
ending '.js', preferably).

> Then you may need to close and re-open the Browser tab.
>
> I will do some shameless self-promotion and mention that on
> http://www.herospaces.com you can create a personal Amber workspace and
> commit to it without bothering with Node.js. You will have the same
> extra step to load your own packages though.
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:01:08 PM UTC+2, Rahul Gandhi wrote:
>
>     Hi all!!!
>     Can some one tell me best source for learing Amber smalltalk ?
>     and How Amber can be used in storing the source code?
>     Thanks in Advance !!!

AW: [amber-lang] Re: Amber Smalltalk

Jerome Baum
Yup that's right though you will then need to edit index.html.

I still feel there should be a way to say "load all packages" in the IDE.

> Note that once you commit a new package it won't automatically be loaded
> on a refresh. You'll need to do something like this:
>
> jQuery getScript: 'js/MyPackage.js'

Eh, it suffices to add it to the loadAmber parameter packages (without
ending '.js', preferably).

> Then you may need to close and re-open the Browser tab.
>
> I will do some shameless self-promotion and mention that on
> http://www.herospaces.com you can create a personal Amber workspace and
> commit to it without bothering with Node.js. You will have the same
> extra step to load your own packages though.
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:01:08 PM UTC+2, Rahul Gandhi wrote:
>
>     Hi all!!!
>     Can some one tell me best source for learing Amber smalltalk ?
>     and How Amber can be used in storing the source code?
>     Thanks in Advance !!!

Re: AW: [amber-lang] Re: Amber Smalltalk

Herby Vojčík

Jerome Baum wrote:
> Yup that's right though you will then need to edit index.html.
>
> I still feel there should be a way to say "load all packages" in the IDE.
Impossible in general case, you are unable to get the list (the bundled
server.js is just one of the possibilities).

AW: AW: [amber-lang] Re: Amber Smalltalk

Jerome Baum
Yup that's right. But we don't need to solve the general case for it to be useful. E.g. You could just PUT a package list on every commit if some check box is checked. Alternatively you could create a concept of "package sets" which are named lists of packages. Finally you could augment the server.js. In the hero spaces repo you can find a simple listing API. That works fine for things like the repo browser so it can probably be neatly extended to the amber server.

I feel the "package sets" concept maybe with a "default" package is probably the more generic option.

> Yup that's right though you will then need to edit index.html.
>
> I still feel there should be a way to say "load all packages" in the IDE.
Impossible in general case, you are unable to get the list (the bundled
server.js is just one of the possibilities).

Re: AW: AW: [amber-lang] Re: Amber Smalltalk

Jerome Baum

Use like so:

    PackageLoader rememberAllPackages  "This stores into 'default'"

    PackageLoader loadAllPackages  "This loads from 'default'"

No GUI and no hook into the IDE at the moment but it's a start.

From: Jerome Baum <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, April 18, 2013 13:17
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: AW: AW: [amber-lang] Re: Amber Smalltalk

Yup that's right. But we don't need to solve the general case for it to be useful. E.g. You could just PUT a package list on every commit if some check box is checked. Alternatively you could create a concept of "package sets" which are named lists of packages. Finally you could augment the server.js. In the hero spaces repo you can find a simple listing API. That works fine for things like the repo browser so it can probably be neatly extended to the amber server.

I feel the "package sets" concept maybe with a "default" package is probably the more generic option.

> Yup that's right though you will then need to edit index.html.
>
> I still feel there should be a way to say "load all packages" in the IDE.
Impossible in general case, you are unable to get the list (the bundled
server.js is just one of the possibilities).

Re: Amber Smalltalk

Rahul Gandhi
Thanks for the information sir.
I had read this and now i am implementing this. This is really cool and really very useful for a beginner.

2013/4/17 Rahul Gandhi <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="d5Tv_oYZ1uwJ">rahulg...@...>