Amber demo/sample ...

12

Amber demo/sample ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Is there somewhere an end-2-end sample/demo (a todo seems to be the go) showcasing a simple CRUD Amber webapp and how to host it (on something free like Heroku or something)?

Client-side: Amber (with bootstrap/foundation?)
Server-side: Amber/Pharo/Node?
Data Persistence: (something like MongoDB perhaps?)

I had a look at Node/Express/Backbone but I don't really like the look of it, Google Dart doesn't look too bad but it is not where it should be yet .... and frankly I would prefer something Smalltalky :)

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Andy Burnett
I completely agree. A worked example is what we need.  Perhaps we can pull something together collaboratively.

I am still experimenting with Firebase as a persistence mechanism. It looks very promising. Plus, Google just announced Tailbone - js library to use GAE as a persistence mechanism. This could be good too.

Cheers
Andy

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there somewhere an end-2-end sample/demo (a todo seems to be the go)
showcasing a simple CRUD Amber webapp and how to host it (on something free
like Heroku or something)?

Client-side: Amber (with bootstrap/foundation?)
Server-side: Amber/Pharo/Node?
Data Persistence: (something like MongoDB perhaps?)

I had a look at Node/Express/Backbone but I don't really like the look of
it, Google Dart doesn't look too bad but it is not where it should be yet
.... and frankly I would prefer something Smalltalky :)

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Nicolas Petton
Currently there is none, but it would be nice to have one, yes.
I could volunteer to write part of a demo app, with Pharo as a backend, using MongoDB and Amber on the client-side.

Nico

On Mar 19, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there somewhere an end-2-end sample/demo (a todo seems to be the go)
> showcasing a simple CRUD Amber webapp and how to host it (on something free
> like Heroku or something)?
>
> Client-side: Amber (with bootstrap/foundation?)
> Server-side: Amber/Pharo/Node?
> Data Persistence: (something like MongoDB perhaps?)
>
> I had a look at Node/Express/Backbone but I don't really like the look of
> it, Google Dart doesn't look too bad but it is not where it should be yet
> .... and frankly I would prefer something Smalltalky :)

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Stefan Krecher-3

2013/3/19 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>:
> Is there somewhere an end-2-end sample/demo (a todo seems to be the go)
> showcasing a simple CRUD Amber webapp and how to host it (on something free
> like Heroku or something)?
>
> Client-side: Amber (with bootstrap/foundation?)
> Server-side: Amber/Pharo/Node?
> Data Persistence: (something like MongoDB perhaps?)

There was a similar discussion on this list a year ago - i commented
here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/amber-lang/q_ZVuCIRm8U/urYjBB1f1TQJ

i wrote this:
"i played with amber + node.js + mongoDB on dotcloud.com as
Hosting-Service. There is a free plan where you can use two "services"
- when you select node.js and mongoDB, you can host Web-Applications
with amber on the serverside using mongodb as persistence layer.
iirc this is possible too on http://nodester.com but there you have to
wait a few days for an invitation."

the example code is in my amber-fork, but not in the master-branch (as
noted in my posting), it is now at master-head.
E.g. this is the server-code, running on node.js, using MongoDB for
persistence: https://github.com/StefanKrecher/amber/blob/master-head/st/FileServer.st

regards,
Stefan

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

SebastianHC
Hi!

Is SmalltalkHub exactly that kind of architecture?
Amber, Bootstrap, Kalinigrad, SeasideREST, MongoDB?
Wouldn't a strip down to a minimum example of a piece of SmalltalkHub
exactly fulfill these needs?
I mean, those sources are even hosted as a project on SmalltalkHub.

Just my 2 cents

Sebastian

Am 19.03.2013 07:15, schrieb Stefan Krecher:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/3/19 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there somewhere an end-2-end sample/demo (a todo seems to be the go)
>> showcasing a simple CRUD Amber webapp and how to host it (on something free
>> like Heroku or something)?
>>
>> Client-side: Amber (with bootstrap/foundation?)
>> Server-side: Amber/Pharo/Node?
>> Data Persistence: (something like MongoDB perhaps?)
> There was a similar discussion on this list a year ago - i commented
> here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/amber-lang/q_ZVuCIRm8U/urYjBB1f1TQJ
>
> i wrote this:
> "i played with amber + node.js + mongoDB on dotcloud.com as
> Hosting-Service. There is a free plan where you can use two "services"
> - when you select node.js and mongoDB, you can host Web-Applications
> with amber on the serverside using mongodb as persistence layer.
> iirc this is possible too on http://nodester.com but there you have to
> wait a few days for an invitation."
>
> the example code is in my amber-fork, but not in the master-branch (as
> noted in my posting), it is now at master-head.
> E.g. this is the server-code, running on node.js, using MongoDB for
> persistence: https://github.com/StefanKrecher/amber/blob/master-head/st/FileServer.st
>
> regards,
> Stefan

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Something basic, SmalltalkHub is probably a bit too complex as an quick sample.  While Pharo for the server-side is nice, its not straight forward to host it on something like Heroku.

btw, what is Kalingrad?

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

sebastianconcept
Good point.

If that was a year ago then we should do something really updated, shouldn't we?

What about using Zinc with WebSockets as foundation?

That way, we'll have a bi-directional example which is cool plus nothing to envy to the newest stuff

Stuff like meteor.js and all those many new full-duplex javascript frameworks that are popping all over the place

Hi,

i wrote this:
"i played with amber + node.js + mongoDB on dotcloud.com as
Hosting-Service. There is a free plan where you can use two "services"
- when you select node.js and mongoDB, you can host Web-Applications
with amber on the serverside using mongodb as persistence layer.
iirc this is possible too on http://nodester.com but there you have to
wait a few days for an invitation."

the example code is in my amber-fork, but not in the master-branch (as
noted in my posting), it is now at master-head.
E.g. this is the server-code, running on node.js, using MongoDB for
persistence: https://github.com/StefanKrecher/amber/blob/master-head/st/FileServer.st

regards,
Stefan

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

SebastianHC
Sorry Geert,

a  typo...

Kaliningrad is Dale Henrichs Amber in Seaside thing...
http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/kaliningrad-developing-with-amber-seaside-and-monticello/

There's also a Amber-Onclick-image somewhere on one of the
Squeak-repositories which hosts Amber from a Seaside server....

Sebastian

Am 20.03.2013 01:08, schrieb Geert Claes:

> Something basic, SmalltalkHub is probably a bit too complex as an quick
> sample.  While Pharo for the server-side is nice, its not straight forward
> to host it on something like Heroku.
>
> btw, what is Kalingrad?

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Stefan Krecher-3

2013/3/20 sebastian <[hidden email]>:
> What about using Zinc with WebSockets as foundation?

i don't think that this is what Geert is looking for - he want's a
server-side deployment that can be hosted anywhere (e.g. on free
hosting-platforms like heroku).
It would be a good idea to have an environment to build client-server
applications with amber - this environment should be as simple as
possible - so it can be used on your local device for development but
also on any hosting/ service/ platform provider.

regards,
Stefan

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

sebastianconcept
you mean a server-side amber app?

I want that too but we're not there yet

We need some features first

On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Stefan Krecher wrote:

Hi,

2013/3/20 sebastian <[hidden email]>:
What about using Zinc with WebSockets as foundation?

i don't think that this is what Geert is looking for - he want's a
server-side deployment that can be hosted anywhere (e.g. on free
hosting-platforms like heroku).
It would be a good idea to have an environment to build client-server
applications with amber - this environment should be as simple as
possible - so it can be used on your local device for development but
also on any hosting/ service/ platform provider.

regards,
Stefan

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Stefan Krecher-3
2013/3/20 sebastian <[hidden email]>:
> you mean a server-side amber app?
>
> I want that too but we're not there yet
>
> We need some features first

One important feature would be remote debugging - but that will be
part of the new ide, if i understood this correctly.
In my showcase i edited the serverside amber-code with amber in the
browser. I had a new save-button in the ide that pushed the category i
wanted to save to the serverside (running on node.js) - that worked
pretty fine - though it was some kind of black-box sometimes - you
could unit-test the classes on the client-side but when they don't run
on the server-side it was very hard to debug.

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

sebastianconcept
yah, until we have remote debug is not worthy to produce a demo on that architecture IMHO

after that?

It'll rock...

On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Stefan Krecher wrote:

2013/3/20 sebastian <[hidden email]>:
you mean a server-side amber app?

I want that too but we're not there yet

We need some features first

One important feature would be remote debugging - but that will be
part of the new ide, if i understood this correctly.
In my showcase i edited the serverside amber-code with amber in the
browser. I had a new save-button in the ide that pushed the category i
wanted to save to the serverside (running on node.js) - that worked
pretty fine - though it was some kind of black-box sometimes - you
could unit-test the classes on the client-side but when they don't run
on the server-side it was very hard to debug.

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Nicolas Petton
Agreed.

Also, a demo with Pharo as a backend would be a good demo for smalltalkers too.

Nico

On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:30 PM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Absolutely, but is there somewhere where one can easilly run a free Pharo webserver to serve the Amber client and access something like MongoHQ.com?

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Thanks, I hadn't seen/read about that one yet.  Apologies if its a silly question but does one need Seaside if the Client side is in Amber?

Re: Amber demo/sample ...

sebastianconcept
not at all.

And is not that you can't either.

For me, Seaside is overkill for doing things with Amber.

As an example I have a billing system that runs on

server:  pharo + zinc + custom handlers + mapless +mongotalk
client: Amber with the client side of the app

o/