Amber demo with nice readme

sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

Hannes is sending some help on this so we now have something connected to the amber init screencast* that might be of educative value:
https://github.com/sebastianconcept/poly

Feel free to improve

BTW, Tim! that's the code I can refer as you suggested right?

*Regarding to a new shot maybe next week because next saturday I'm presenting live some stuff in this barcamp
http://www.barcampfoz.org  not all developers but should be a nice sanity-check

I'll have Amber related stuff (this poly demo) and Pharo related stuff:
http://sebastianconcept.github.io/Mapless/

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - I'm away from a computer for a few days so can't easily check it out, but from the Readme it sounds promising. I hope to watch it in a few days!

I'm keen to see inspiring demos, and clear steps on how to install and get started. Which all seem well under way - which is great! As there is so much in the JS world - having some direction in the Amber community would be very appreciated.

I was quite impressed with the ember.js demos - and intrigued to try it with amber. The ToDo and blog examples they use seem very re-usable.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Apr 2014, at 21:42, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys,

Hannes is sending some help on this so we now have something connected to the amber init screencast* that might be of educative value:

Feel free to improve

BTW, Tim! that's the code I can refer as you suggested right?

*Regarding to a new shot maybe next week because next saturday I'm presenting live some stuff in this barcamp
http://www.barcampfoz.org  not all developers but should be a nice sanity-check

I'll have Amber related stuff (this poly demo) and Pharo related stuff:

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

sebastianconcept

I was quite impressed with the ember.js demos - and intrigued to try it with amber. The ToDo and blog examples they use seem very re-usable.

Great! Send the links to what you saw!

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

sebastianconcept
BTW I've spent about 1h commenting that code so a reader can follow the flow of the app and can continue its experience of getting the Amber idea

If you think something needs to be reviewed, send a pull request

Thanks

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:42:16 PM UTC-3, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
Hi guys,

Hannes is sending some help on this so we now have something connected to the amber init screencast* that might be of educative value:

Feel free to improve

BTW, Tim! that's the code I can refer as you suggested right?

*Regarding to a new shot maybe next week because next saturday I'm presenting live some stuff in this barcamp

I'll have Amber related stuff (this poly demo) and Pharo related stuff:

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

Kevin Driedger-4

The presentation of this project reminds me of some of the best ruby projects I've seen. Immediately engaging. It reminds me of what Microsoft did when they released win.js
With all the bugs noted on their presentation website.

Do you have more bugs or known limitations that that you've found or could be addressed?

Kevin

On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Kevin Driedger <[hidden email]> wrote:

The presentation of this project reminds me of some of the best ruby projects I've seen. Immediately engaging. It reminds me of what Microsoft did when they released win.js

awesome Kevin, lets see how it works with time

With all the bugs noted on their presentation website.

Do you have more bugs or known limitations that that you've found or could be addressed?

You mean bugs about what? the app or bugs in the "Amber experience" ?

Both questions will render an interesting conversation on software design but I’d love to hear more if you want to elaborate on that

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

philippeback
Sebastian,

I tried to install poly but got a bug.

The Physics dependency loads (with bower)

physicsjs-full-0.6.0.min.js

and the code uses

0.5.3 which obviously isn't in.

So, JavaScript exception: TypeError: window.Physics is not a function.

Changing to:

require([
        'bower_components/PhysicsJS/dist/physicsjs-full-0.6.0.min'
], function( Physics ){

   window.Physics=Physics;
});

gives me the ability to "Add Stuff"

But:

- the first "Add Stuff" after "Reset" doesn't work (nothing added, but a message "A thing was added")
- Add motion gives: JavaScript exception: TypeError: window.Physics.util.ticker.subscribe is not a function

I don't know how to fix further.
What I know is that if you want to impress the gang this weekend, you need to fix this as they will run into the same issues.

One general question out of this: how do we reconcile the require([]... versions (like -full-0.6.0) and the bower.json ?

I guess that this is done in:

"dependencies": {
        "PhysicsJS": "*",
        "amber": "~>= 0.12.4"

for one side, but if we put a * there, is there a way for index.html to pick the one downloaded ? Or to specify it without having to restate it?

Phil

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Kevin Driedger <[hidden email]> wrote:

The presentation of this project reminds me of some of the best ruby projects I've seen. Immediately engaging. It reminds me of what Microsoft did when they released win.js

awesome Kevin, lets see how it works with time

With all the bugs noted on their presentation website.

Do you have more bugs or known limitations that that you've found or could be addressed?

You mean bugs about what? the app or bugs in the "Amber experience" ?

Both questions will render an interesting conversation on software design but I’d love to hear more if you want to elaborate on that

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

philippeback
Changing the  bower.json deps to:

"dependencies": {
        "PhysicsJS": "0.5.3-alpha",
        "amber": "~>= 0.12.4"
    }

and index.html require to:

 'bower_components/PhysicsJS/dist/physicsjs-full-0.5.3.min'

makes it work.

I tried 0.5.4 but it seems that it is gone or morphed into 0.6.0

User@Techlab ~/Amber/poly
$ bower install
bower cached        git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#0.12.4
bower validate      0.12.4 against git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#~>= 0.12.4
bower ENORESTARGET  No tag found that was able to satisfy 0.5.4

Additional error details:
Available versions: 0.6.0, 0.5.3-alpha, 0.5.2-alpha

Phil

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for testing, Phil. Yes, I saw as well that the wild card

  "PhysicsJS": "*",

in bower.json will cause problems as soon as they release a new version.
We have to figure out the best way to load a third party library.
Probably going for a known version and not for the wild card.

--Hannes

> [...]
>>
>> Phil
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM, sebastian
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Kevin Driedger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The presentation of this project reminds me of some of the best ruby
>>> projects I've seen. Immediately engaging. It reminds me of what
>>> Microsoft
>>> did when they released win.js
>>>
>>> awesome Kevin, lets see how it works with time
>>>
>>> With all the bugs noted on their presentation website.
>>>
>>> Do you have more bugs or known limitations that that you've found or
>>> could be addressed?
>>>
>>> You mean bugs about what? the app or bugs in the "Amber experience" ?
>>>
>>> Both questions will render an interesting conversation on software
>>> design
>>> but I’d love to hear more if you want to elaborate on that

Herby Vojčík

phil@highoctane.benapísal/a:

Changing the  bower.json deps to:

"dependencies": {
        "PhysicsJS": "0.5.3-alpha",

Yes, this is how it should be done.

        "amber": "~>= 0.12.4"
    }

You can do it without manually editing bower.json. Just run

    bower install PhysicsJS@0.5.3-alpha --save

Maybe you can `bowet uninstall PhysicsJS --save` to be on the safe side before it (though I think it works fine without it) and you can find versions by `bower info PhysicsJS`.

and index.html require to:

 'bower_components/PhysicsJS/dist/physicsjs-full-0.5.3.min'

This (having version in filename) is unfortunate. Nice library would allow to use it without it (as for example jquery packaging for bower does).
makes it work.

Re: Amber demo with nice readme

Herby Vojčík

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Thank you for testing, Phil. Yes, I saw as well that the wild card

  "PhysicsJS": "*",

in bower.json will cause problems as soon as they release a new version.
We have to figure out the best way to load a third party library.
Probably going for a known version and not for the wild card.

You should go the standard way.
Standatd way is to install by bower with --save, not editing bower.json by hand. It then should produce good pattern.

The usual pattern is something like "~0.5.3-alpha" which says "any from the same family as 0.5.3-alpha is", that is, 0.5.whatever.

--Hannes

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Thank you for testing, Phil. Yes, I saw as well that the wild card

  "PhysicsJS": "*",

in bower.json will cause problems as soon as they release a new version.
We have to figure out the best way to load a third party library.
Probably going for a known version and not for the wild card.

You should go the standard way.
Standatd way is to install by bower with --save, not editing bower.json by hand. It then should produce good pattern.

The usual pattern is something like "~0.5.3-alpha" which says "any from the same family as 0.5.3-alpha is", that is, 0.5.whatever.

Oh man, so much to learn :-)

I am now  busy with http://www.jsviews.com/ in my app.

And with a couple of js libs around now... I feel the need for bower! ;-)

This JS new world is really the future, but one has to work hard to move there... Like Esteban, I'd love to have the mitosis feature built in...

--Phil

--Hannes

> [...]
>>
>> Phil
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM, sebastian
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Kevin Driedger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The presentation of this project reminds me of some of the best ruby
>>> projects I've seen. Immediately engaging. It reminds me of what
>>> Microsoft
>>> did when they released win.js
>>>
>>> awesome Kevin, lets see how it works with time
>>>
>>> With all the bugs noted on their presentation website.
>>>
>>> Do you have more bugs or known limitations that that you've found or
>>> could be addressed?
>>>
>>> You mean bugs about what? the app or bugs in the "Amber experience" ?
>>>
>>> Both questions will render an interesting conversation on software
>>> design
>>> but I’d love to hear more if you want to elaborate on that

Joe Shirk
Mapless is exciting! (e achei o site do barcampfoz muito lindo!)