Amber end-to-end browser tests (was Re: [amber-lang] How to contribute to Amber)

Amber end-to-end browser tests (was Re: [amber-lang] How to contribute to Amber)

Herby Vojčík

kilon alios wrote:
> What you describe is normal behavior and common practice to me. There is
> definitely a need to work on older releases when depending on older
> libraries , I am coming from python and though Python 3 has been around
> for almost 6 years now and still a lot of python coders use python 2.

Ah, yes, this python 2/3 long-time split-personality is a bit of mystery
to me, but I am more or less just an observer.

> Another question is that Pharo has jenkins and its tests to automate
> testing of releases that can catch these kind of problems immediately,
> can amber utilize something similar ?

Definitely. It uses travis to run its unit tests on each commit and pull
request. These unit tests are run from the cli runner, though; so
problem with actually running amber in a browser are not caught.

I felt in more occasions in the past already that having some end-to-end
tests (running the test suite in browser as well in phantomjs?) may be
beneficial.

Just it takes time and energy to write such thing.

Even saucelabs and testing on multiple real browsers could be used, if
taken more seriously (I think they have some free plan for open-source)>

Herby

kilon alios wrote:
> I see well even with just this unit testing with jenkins is very good
> start. Well I will keep this in mind for the distance future when I have

Just to dispel some misunderstanding: There is no need to use Jenkins as
Travis is used, it's also a CI system, blended with github.

And unit tests are run in Travis, actually. Just not using
browser-loaded Amber, but using compiled-to-node test runner usable from
cli.

Maybe you got all this, I am just a bit confused from this paragraph...

> good experience contributing to Amber. For now small steps :)

Looking forward... there is lots of issues to solve.