Amber init problem

Gaurav Singh
I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when i type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help ?

Re: Amber init problem

Hannes Hirzel
If you are on Linux could you please post part of your
     history
file.

If you are on Windows could you please give us more details what you
actually did?

--Hannes

On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when i
> type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help ?

Re: Amber init problem

Gaurav Singh
This is my recent history
 1995  curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
 1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
 1997  npm install -g amber-cli
 1998  amber init

On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="gp8tszAXIFIJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">grvanm...@...> wrote:

> I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when i
> type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help ?

Re: Amber init problem

Hannes Hirzel
Did you follow

    http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html

for doing this? Sorry that the documentation is still not in good shape.....

You need to install more, see README

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber

HTH

--Hannes

On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is my recent history
>  1995  curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>  1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>  1997  npm install -g amber-cli
>  1998  amber init
>

> On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 3:24:27 PM UTC+5:30, Hannes wrote:
>>
>> If you are on Linux could you please post part of your
>>      history
>> file.
>>
>> If you are on Windows could you please give us more details what you
>> actually did?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email] <javascript:>> wrote:
>> > I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when

>> > type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help
>> >
>> ?

Re: Amber init problem

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Did you follow
>
>      http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html
>
> for doing this? Sorry that the documentation is still not in good shape.....
>
> You need to install more, see README

Not really, installing amber-cli is enough. The other two are mentioned for convenience and disk-space saving (amber-cli installs its own copy of the other two, unless they are mentioned in which case it reuses them - but it always works).

This will be something else. Maybe that idiotic project which is called node and is not nodejs. amber cli is just a script with a hashbang line. The question is, what that hashbang line actually runs - nodejs or that other 'node'. IIRC the hashbang line is

/usr/bin/env node

This must run nodejs. If it does not, thing must be changed so that it does (IIRC there is some package called node-legacy or nodejs-legacy which fixes this; or just changing the node symlink by hand, but it is ugly).

Herby

>      https://github.com/ambe
r-smalltalk/amber

> HTH
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> This is my recent history
>>   1995  curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>>   1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>>   1997  npm install -g amber-cli
>>   1998  amber init
>>

>> On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 3:24:27 PM UTC+5:30, Hannes wrote:
>>> If you are on Linux could you please post part of your
>>>       history
>>> file.
>>>
>>> If you are on Windows could you please give us more details what you
>>> actually did?
>>>
>>> --Hannes

>>> ?

Re: Amber init problem

Ryan Simmons-2
You might need to do

sudo apt-get install nodejs-legacy

This provides a /usr/bin/node symlink

On 12 February 2015 at 15:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you follow

    http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html

for doing this? Sorry that the documentation is still not in good shape.....

You need to install more, see README

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber

HTH

--Hannes

On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is my recent history
>  1995  curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>  1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>  1997  npm install -g amber-cli
>  1998  amber init
>

> On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 3:24:27 PM UTC+5:30, Hannes wrote:
>>
>> If you are on Linux could you please post part of your
>>      history
>> file.
>>
>> If you are on Windows could you please give us more details what you
>> actually did?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email] <javascript:>> wrote:
>> > I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when

>> > type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help
>> >
>> ?

Re: Amber init problem

basilmir
Tell him he missed some commands he is trying to amber init a directory that is not empty.

See below:

1995  curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
1997  npm install -g amber-cli

mkdir myamberappdirectory
cd myamberappdirectory

1998  amber init

Pe 12 feb. 2015, la 15:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> a scris:

Mircea S. wrote:

> Tell him he missed some commands he is trying to amber init a
> directory that is not empty.
>
> See below:
>
>>> 1995 curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>>> 1996 sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>>> 1997 npm install -g amber-cli
>
> mkdir myamberappdirectory
> cd myamberappdirectory

If that would be the problem, `amber init` would actually run and then complain about nonempty directory. The problem was, it does nothing.

But yes, once it start to actually do something, first thing it will do is to complain about non-empty dir ;-)

>>> 1998 amber init
>

> Pe 12 feb. 2015, la 15:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a scris:
>
>> Did you follow
>>
>> http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html
>>
>> for doing this? Sorry that the documentation is still not in good
>> shape.....
>>
>> You need to install more, see README
>>
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --Han
nes

>> On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> This is my recent history
>>> 1995 curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>>> 1996 sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>>> 1997 npm install -g amber-cli
>>> 1998 amber init

>>> --
>>>

>> --
ogle.com/d/optout.

Re: Amber init problem

Gaurav Singh
Symbolic link was the issue , thanks :)

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 6:51:33 PM UTC+5:30, Ryan Simmons wrote:
You might need to do

sudo apt-get install nodejs-legacy

This provides a /usr/bin/node symlink

On 12 February 2015 at 15:12, H. Hirzel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_MctciWf_mUJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">hannes...@...> wrote:
Did you follow

On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_MctciWf_mUJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">grvanm...@...> wrote:
> This is my recent history
>  1995  curl -sL <a href="https://deb.nodesource.com/setup" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fdeb.nodesource.com%2Fsetup\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEOkELJ0ycUzAWnBFcgnnbwCSBxqg';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fdeb.nodesource.com%2Fsetup\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEOkELJ0ycUzAWnBFcgnnbwCSBxqg';return true;">https://deb.nodesource.com/setup | sudo bash -
>  1996  sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
>  1997  npm install -g amber-cli
>  1998  amber init
>

> On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 3:24:27 PM UTC+5:30, Hannes wrote:
>>
>> If you are on Linux could you please post part of your
>>      history
>> file.
>>
>> If you are on Windows could you please give us more details what you
>> actually did?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 2/12/15, Gaurav Singh <[hidden email] <javascript:>> wrote:
>> > I have installed node.js , npm and command line tools with npm and when

>> > type amber init , noting happens , no intitialization . Can anyone help
>> >
>> ?
>> >
>> > --
>> an
>> > email to amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

Re: Amber init problem

Hannes Hirzel
thank you for the feedback what the problem was. This reinforces our
understanding of the amber init process.