Amber.js renamed to Ember.js

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys, good news!

Amber.js (formerly SproutCore 2.0) is now Ember.js
http://yehudakatz.com/2011/12/12/amber-js-formerly-sproutcore-2-0-is-now-ember-js/

I think we should salute Yehuda Katz and Ember.js community for their
decision to listen to our complaints. Thanks and good luck with Ember.js!

And for us, is there some way to cooperate with them? Is Ember.js
usefull for us?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Amber.js renamed to Ember.js

Amber Milan Eskridge
Ember.js provides Bindings, something that was adopted from a more or less recent version of ObjectiveC/Cocoa (2004, I think), computed properties (methods for access and computing new return values instead of directly accessing ivars as in JS – something that Smalltalk/Amber out of the box provides, obviously) and auto-updating templates (which I am no fan of, see: Avi Bryant: "Why Rails is Obsolete and so is everything else", http://confreaks.net/videos/359-gogaruco2010-rails-is-obsolete-but-so-s-everything-else ), according to their website.

I don't think that any of that implementation -how cool it is and may be- is particularly interesting for this community. However, I think that the binding-technology/idea of ObjectiveC/Cocoa is an interesting thing.

I think the Smalltalk community should very much look at the things Apple does in ObjectiveC/Cocoa – which is one of the descendants of Smalltalk. To name a few things: Cocoa's delegate and application structure[A:FR], the storing of entire UIs using a encoder/decoder-system which fits morphic perfectly(click a morph-interface together, save it as-is, restore it, use it in the application)[A:NIB] , providing a standardized pub/sub-pattern via the so-called bindings[A:BI], synthesized methods…

[A:BI] http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaBindings/CocoaBindings.html

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Amber.js renamed to Ember.js

Amber Milan Eskridge
Regarding auto-updating templates, an idea came to my mind:

html input
    on: #lastname of: self.

… and …

html div