Amber-like language based on Self

ericvm
Hello all,

I was wondering what would be the effort required to make something similar to Amber, but using Self programming language as a base? I think Self is a wonderful language very similar to Smalltalk and also to Javascript since it doesn't have the class/object duality. Currently Self is something of a toy language and maybe the push to the web is just what it needs to gain popularity.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Re: Amber-like language based on Self

askoh
Administrator
But I hear JavaScript is going to have Classes soon and that makes Javascript even more like Smalltalk.

Re: Amber-like language based on Self

Herby Vojčík

askoh wrote:
> But I hear JavaScript is going to have Classes soon and that makes Javascript

Soon, as in, a year ago?

But ES2015 classes are syntactic sugar. Nothing (or, very little) is changed inside.

Herby Vojčík wrote:

> Eric Velten de Melo wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was wondering what would be the effort required to make something
>> similar to Amber, but using Self programming language as a base? I think
>> Self is a wonderful language very similar to Smalltalk and also to
>> Javascript since it doesn't have the class/object duality. Currently
>> Self is something of a toy language and maybe the push to the web is
>> just what it needs to gain popularity.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Well, I had similar views, as I like Self's classlessness, but: lot of
> work, different ecosystem (not the Smalltalk has big one, but Pharo in
> fact has libraries; and Self's at:Put: would make

... probably cut and sent abruptly.

Do not know how complicated it would be to do the Self's low-level
intricacies (block as self-executing object inheriting self* and such).

>> Eric

Re: Amber-like language based on Self

Dave Mason-3
Sorry for the delay in responding...

Avocado ( https://github.com/AdamSpitz/Avocado ) is Self in Javascript by my friend Adam Spitz.  You can find other comments on Self at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SelfLanguage

I haven't used it, but Adam is a very bright guy, and in a talk he gave it looked pretty cool.

../Dave