Amber on G+

Manfred Kröhnert
Hey guys,

I just found an Amber Smalltalk G+ page:

@Nico, did you create it or know about it? :-)

Best,
Manfred

Re: Amber on G+

Manfred Kröhnert

Hi Thomas,

I think this is a nice idea.

@Nico do you think we can/should 'adopt' this as another channel for distributing information about Amber?

Best,
Manfred

Am 31.03.2013 04:00 schrieb "Thomas Rake" <[hidden email]>:
I created that page a few months ago. Though I would forward people back to amber-lang,net. I build the graphic as well from the amber graphic and a Smalltalk graphic.

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:16:49 AM UTC-4, Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
Hey guys,

I just found an Amber Smalltalk G+ page:

@Nico, did you create it or know about it? :-)

Best,
Manfred

Re: Amber on G+

Tom Rake
Hi Manfred,

This was the first G+ "page" I ever created, On G+ I found Seaside ( https://plus.google.com/u/0/112097679937248365493/posts )  and Pharo ( https://plus.google.com/u/0/100919417187170499293/posts ) so I thought Amber needed a page and appointed myself. If the Amber Core team needs the page I will turn it over to the team. I consider the team those listed here https://github.com/amber-smalltalk?tab=members .

Am 31.03.2013 04:00 schrieb "Thomas Rake" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="sOajNcuhoA4J">tom....@...>:
I created that page a few months ago. Though I would forward people back to amber-lang,net. I build the graphic as well from the amber graphic and a Smalltalk graphic.

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:16:49 AM UTC-4, Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
Hey guys,

I just found an Amber Smalltalk G+ page:

@Nico, did you create it or know about it? :-)

Best,
Manfred

Re: Amber on G+

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Thomas,

sorry for the delay.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Rake <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Manfred,

This was the first G+ "page" I ever created,

then you are one page ahead of me ;-)

On G+ I found Seaside ( https://plus.google.com/u/0/112097679937248365493/posts )  and Pharo ( https://plus.google.com/u/0/100919417187170499293/posts ) so I thought Amber needed a page and appointed myself.

The Seaside and Pharo pages on G+ are known to me and I thought about creating a G+ for Amber, too.
So it was nice to see that someone (meaning you) already created one.

If the Amber Core team needs the page I will turn it over to the team.
I consider the team those listed here https://github.com/amber-smalltalk?tab=members .

This is up to Nico I guess.
But in any way we should try to keep the page in sync with the development of Amber.
Otherwise it might look like nothing is happening.

Best,
Manfred

[...]

Manfred,

As you can see I am even more delayed in answering you. I am sorry the end of this email is somewhat of a ramble it is more of a PR ("public relations") related brain dump which should be in smaller organized pieces. And PR is NOT my field.

 I consider myself more of a "tech guy" rather than a "PR guy" so this G+ page was more of an adventure in uncharted territory for me. I agree we need to keep the page in sync with development and that this is really all up to Nico. Nico and the rest of the team are doing a great job and the questions below are not aimed at the technical work or team on amber.

Most of the rest of this post I consider to be "Information Architecture" of how to extract knowledge from the developer team and distribute it to others.

Warning! This a unorganized brain dump.

Is being "in sync" with development really just repeating the release notice made with each release? I think so.

Amber really needs a real PR Guy.

Who are our targets? How to we reach them?

When is the next release likely? Will it be 0.11? Should we release that info? What if the date slips?

I reviewed these pages while thinking about this which brings up the concept of "in sync" again.
Are the above link upto date?  complete?
For example does not mention 0.11? https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Roadmap
As I review the notification about amber I believe that Nico has a vision of how to get to 1.0 but explaining it is more difficult for me.

How do we collect more users and developers and how to we target them? How do we tell them about all the good stuff in 0.10? How many times do we have to tell them?

I believe we need an Amber Cookbook that include many of the essential recipes/keys to using Amber.
I am looking for a kind of "cookbook" for dealing with what I call "Javascriptisms" Such as Dynamic Dictionaries for Javascript "literals" such as { firstName: 'Tom', lastName:'Rake'}. I had to search a long time to find
http://nicolas-petton.fr/2011/09/06/Dynamic-arrays-in-Jtalk.html which explains it all very well.

 This thread started by XumuK may also lead to a recipe page:

I guess I should just write a recipe page on the Dynamic Dictionaries and how I use them largely based on Nico's post.

Best to you and the entire Amber team.

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:51:13 AM UTC-4, Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
Hi Thomas,

sorry for the delay.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Rake <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="6pKfUM0LbKwJ">tom....@...> wrote:
[...]

no problems with the delay.
It is not really better on my side ;-)

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Thomas Rake <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For now, I think this is sufficient.
Mabye we can add the release notes somewhere on the main Amber page so people don't have to search mailing list archives.

Amber really needs a real PR Guy.

Who are our targets? How to we reach them?

When is the next release likely? Will it be 0.11? Should we release that info? What if the date slips?

Those are all good questions and we already had some discussion about it in another thread.
Up to now we don't have a detailed plan what will be contained in the next release and what the version number will be.

[...]

This would be a good starting point I think.
Maybe even doing it as an Amber application would be great.

Best to you and the entire Amber team.

Thank you and thanks for the input and also for creating the G+ page.
This is really appreciated.

Best,
Manfred