Amber on a Tablet

Adventurer
Hi All,

I've been looking long and hard at Pharo for creating a personal Task-Scheduler/ PIM / Journaling application.  In my dithering
between the many options for developing the UI, it dawned on me that this app would be more useful if it was mobile.

So.

In the interests of developing the aforementioned app for mobile (tablet) use, I'm looking at Amber.  Any suggestions on a path to follow
to achieve this goal would be appreciated.

Concerns that I have are:
  * will an Amber UI work on a touch-screen device?  What about multi-touch?
  * performance - how snappy is an Amber UI on a lower-powered device?
  * Object persistence - what options exist?  (serialization to Local storage / a remote Pharo image / other)

Any information and comments would be appreciated.

Craig

Re: Amber on a Tablet

sebastianconcept

from mobile

On 06/02/2015, at 05:00, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi All,

I've been looking long and hard at Pharo for creating a personal Task-Scheduler/ PIM / Journaling application.  In my dithering
between the many options for developing the UI, it dawned on me that this app would be more useful if it was mobile.

So.

In the interests of developing the aforementioned app for mobile (tablet) use, I'm looking at Amber.  Any suggestions on a path to follow
to achieve this goal would be appreciated.

Concerns that I have are:
  * will an Amber UI work on a touch-screen device?  What about multi-touch?
  * performance - how snappy is an Amber UI on a lower-powered device?
  * Object persistence - what options exist?  (serialization to Local storage / a remote Pharo image / other)

Any information and comments would be appreciated.

Hi Craig,

Sound nice. And you are right about mobile (that market is going supernova).

I'm working in a flow-based[1] application for B2B e-commerce targeted for tablets
The default persistence in flow is Mapless in the frontend and the backend.
Mapless gives you out-of-the-box a friendly API and flow in the backend uses Pharo with a RESTful Zinc handling
Currently supported Mapless repositories are MongoDB, Redis and Gemstone
We have a slack group where users support each other, send me your email if you want an invite

Craig

Re: Amber on a Tablet

Hannes Hirzel

> Hi All,
>
> I've been looking long and hard at Pharo for creating a personal
> Task-Scheduler/ PIM / Journaling application.  In my dithering
> between the many options for developing the UI, it dawned on me that this
> app would be more useful if it was mobile.
>
> So.
>
> In the interests of developing the aforementioned app for mobile (tablet)
> use, I'm looking at Amber.  Any suggestions on a path to follow
> to achieve this goal would be appreciated.
>
> Concerns that I have are:
>   * will an Amber UI work on a touch-screen device?  What about
> multi-touch?

When deployed Amber is just an HTML file plus a JavaScript file called
'the.js'. So anything which applies to HTML5 also applies to Amber.

>   * performance - how snappy is an Amber UI on a lower-powered device?

Suggestion: do some tests....

>   * Object persistence - what options exist?  (serialization to Local
> storage / a remote Pharo image / other)

localStorage, any service which accepts JSON.

HTH

--Hannes