Amber version 0.12 pre-release "out of the box"?

Amber version 0.12 pre-release "out of the box"?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

On 10/11/13, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the way amber is going... the requirejs stuff is great!

+1

> But.... I've spent a dozen hours over the last several days trying to get
> it to load properly, assuming I was being stupid or missing something
> important, only to eventually recognize that the code in the git trunk is
> essentially identical to what you get with npm install amber, and that they
> don't run out of the box!

Herby then answers
'The blame goes to amber not being properly released.'

Here https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/pull/27#issuecomment-26316272
and is a description of a complete test case which creates

     a version 0.12 pre-release "out of the box" experience.

Examples have been updated by Tom Rake.

Maybe some other people want to go for a test drive!

Regards
Hannes

Re: Amber version 0.12 pre-release "out of the box"?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi everyone

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

On 10/11/13, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the way amber is going... the requirejs stuff is great!

+1

> But.... I've spent a dozen hours over the last several days trying to get
> it to load properly, assuming I was being stupid or missing something
> important, only to eventually recognize that the code in the git trunk is
> essentially identical to what you get with npm install amber, and that they
> don't run out of the box!

Herby then answers
'The blame goes to amber not being properly released.'

Actually the comment from Herby was about using development code from Git master in contrast to using a released version, not about unproper releases.
The point is that if you are using a development branch for tinkering around it is usually expected that you face issues.
People are welcome to use the latest development branch and report issues they find.
But if you just want to tinker around they should stick with a released version (which might also have issues bit hopefully minor ones).

Putting this aside, the guide you posted on the issue tracker is really nice for newcomers.
Thanks a lot for it.
We will adjust the instructions on the website and in the README's before the release.

Best,
Manfred