An 3.9 image for developers

1234

An 3.9 image for developers

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would like
to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
ImageForDevelopers (available on SqueakMap and SqueakSource) will be
used to configure everything.

A Wiki has been set up and you can modify it:
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier

Developers responsible for one or more of this packages should tell me
where is the best version for an integration or directly fill the wiki.

Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be set ?

This is for you, please contribute

--
Damien Cassou

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

Damien Cassou-3
Current image is:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.zip

--
Damien Cassou

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

Herbert König
Hello Damien,

DC> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
DC> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would like
DC> to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
I also use Win32 nativeFonts (less important but I dislike the look of 3.9)
Look enhancements (same reason)
TracingMessagesBrowser (very important, keep down the number of
windows when browsing senders/Implementors and giving kinda static
control flow)
TricRefactoringBrowser (only selected Categories in RB)

Cheers!

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Damien,

on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:24:11 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org.

Great, there even the new-to-Squeak'ers will find it.

> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be set ?

Yes, please not confusion with platform preferences like mouse right-left.
Also no unexpected "automagic" change of := to _ and vice versa.

> This is for you, please contribute

When can I have it :)

/Klaus

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

stephane ducasse-2
really cool that someone takes this initiative

Keymapping?
Shout
eCompletion
Autocategorizer?
RefactoringEngine
BrowserBooster?
Dynamic protocol
Smacc

> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would
> like to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
> ImageForDevelopers (available on SqueakMap and SqueakSource) will
> be used to configure everything.
>
> A Wiki has been set up and you can modify it:
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier
>
> Developers responsible for one or more of this packages should tell
> me where is the best version for an integration or directly fill
> the wiki.
>
> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be
> set ?
>
> This is for you, please contribute
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

Hernan Tylim-2
Hi.

I saw on the web page that KeyBinder might be part of the image so I just wanted to warn that KeyBinder does a very subtle hack, but a hack nevertheless, to the key event mechanism in order to trap the key-bindings.

This warning is because if someone would want to install another keybinding mechanism , like keymapping I guess, it might mest something up, but don't know for sure, didn't test it.

Regards,
Hernán

--
Saludos,
Hernán

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

[ Luc Fabresse ]
thanks Damien for this initiative.

Perhaps, you could let the transcript opened by the ImageForDevelopper
script saved in the image because it displays the list of packages that
have been added from a fresh 3.9g-7057.

Damien, you don't give the 39 source file with your image in the zip
file. So I use the one given in the 3.9g-7057.

[BUG?] Using the damien image, when I browse a refactoryEngine class, I
get a messageNotUnderstood. It seems to be a timestamp problem.
am i using a wrong source file ?

Luc.

stephane ducasse a écrit :

> really cool that someone takes this initiative
>
> Keymapping?
> Shout
> eCompletion
> Autocategorizer?
> RefactoringEngine
> BrowserBooster?
> Dynamic protocol
> Smacc
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
>> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would like
>> to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
>> ImageForDevelopers (available on SqueakMap and SqueakSource) will be
>> used to configure everything.
>>
>> A Wiki has been set up and you can modify it:
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier
>>
>> Developers responsible for one or more of this packages should tell me
>> where is the best version for an integration or directly fill the wiki.
>>
>> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be set ?
>>
>> This is for you, please contribute
>>
>> --Damien Cassou

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

stephane ducasse-2
when selecting the packages here is the most important points:

        - avoid gadgets (people can load them after, so I would not add UI
modification so that people are sure that this is 3.9)
        - avoid packages that would slow down the interface
        - minimize method overrides

Stef

On 13 sept. 06, at 17:24, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would
> like to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
> ImageForDevelopers (available on SqueakMap and SqueakSource) will
> be used to configure everything.
>
> A Wiki has been set up and you can modify it:
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier
>
> Developers responsible for one or more of this packages should tell
> me where is the best version for an integration or directly fill
> the wiki.
>
> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be
> set ?
>
> This is for you, please contribute
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: An 3.9 image for developers

Damien Cassou-3
I will answer each mail later today. But I updated the wiki:

http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier

Some packages have problems. Please correct them if you want their
integration:

LookEnhancements
TestBrowser
Shout for Techo
Memory usage
TracingMessageBrowser

Please update the wiki or write mail. This distribution is YOUR
distribution. Made to ease YOUR life. Please contribute.

Thank you for your help

Herbert König a écrit :
> Hello Damien,

Hello Herbert,

> DC> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
> DC> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org. I would like
> DC> to know what are the tools you use as a developer. The package
 >
> I also use Win32 nativeFonts (less important but I dislike the look of 3.9)
> Look enhancements (same reason)

I would prefer to have a basic Squeak 3.9 look. Then people will be able
to install packages they like.

> TracingMessagesBrowser (very important, keep down the number of
> windows when browsing senders/Implementors and giving kinda static
> control flow)

Don't work in my image. Please verify.

Romain Robbes a écrit :
> Would mentioning Browser Booster, that I just released, be seen as
> shameless self-promotion? ;-)

I was waiting for you in fact :-) When it is working perfectly, I will
include it.

Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :

> Hi Damien,
>
> on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:24:11 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm creating a ready-to-use image for developers based on Squeak
>> 3.9-7057. This image will be published in ftp.squeak.org.
>
> Great, there even the new-to-Squeak'ers will find it.
>
>> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be set ?
>
> Yes, please not confusion with platform preferences like mouse
> right-left. Also no unexpected "automagic" change of := to _ and vice
> versa.

It seems there is something very strange with the mouse buttons. The
middle click doesn't do the same in windows and in linux. They are
swapped. Maybe something in the vm, maybe in the OS. I won't touch this
preference.

For the assignment, Shout uses preferences to display := or _. Don't
know what is the best thing to do here.

Hernan Tylim a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I saw on the web page that KeyBinder might be part of the image so I
> just wanted to warn that KeyBinder does a very subtle hack, but a hack
> nevertheless, to the key event mechanism in order to trap the key-bindings.
>
> This warning is because if someone would want to install another
> keybinding mechanism , like keymapping I guess, it might mest something
> up, but don't know for sure, didn't test it.

So, what should I do ? KeyBinder is very cool for switching between
windows and other things like this. Does one of you have an opinion ?

Thank you for pointing this

stephane ducasse a écrit :
> Keymapping?

Don't know the difference with KeyBinder. Don't know if they fit together.

> Shout
> eCompletion
> Autocategorizer
> RefactoringEngine
> BrowserBooster
> Dynamic protocol

Done (*6)

> Smacc

Not sure this one is used by enough people to include it. Opinions ?

on Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:10:56 +0200, you wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
>> Hi Damien,
>>  on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:24:11 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> Do you want other packages included ? Or preferences that should be
>>> set ?
>>  Yes, please not confusion with platform preferences like mouse
>> right-left. Also no unexpected "automagic" change of := to _ and vice
>> versa.
>

> It seems there is something very strange with the mouse buttons. The
> middle click doesn't do the same in windows and in linux. They are
> swapped. Maybe something in the vm, maybe in the OS. I won't touch this
> preference.

Yes, there was some discussion about that confusion here recently. I
suggest to put a note into the TOP line of a workspace, reminding the
(possibly novice) user and explaning where to change it.

> For the assignment, Shout uses preferences to display := or _. Don't
> know what is the best thing to do here.

Neutral: do not "automagically" change := to _ and vice versa. In symbols:

syntaxHighlightingAsYouType enabled

The other two syntaxHighlighting* disabled.

Thank you!

/Klaus

[ Luc Fabresse ] a écrit :
> thanks Damien for this initiative.
>
> Perhaps, you could let the transcript opened by the ImageForDevelopper
> script saved in the image because it displays the list of packages that
> have been added from a fresh 3.9g-7057.

I think I will use Techo and put there some text files. One will be for
the packages included, and other for documentation on these packages.

> Damien, you don't give the 39 source file with your image in the zip
> file. So I use the one given in the 3.9g-7057.

This was to keep it small. You made the right choice. I will include it
in the released version.

> [BUG?] Using the damien image, when I browse a refactoryEngine class, I
> get a messageNotUnderstood. It seems to be a timestamp problem.
> am i using a wrong source file ?

I made a mistake in my DynamicProtocol package. I corrected the bug.

Thank you

stephane ducasse a écrit :
> when selecting the packages here is the most important points:
>
>     - avoid gadgets (people can load them after, so I would not add UI
> modification so that people are sure that this is 3.9)

I agree but people have to tell me what is gadget and what is not. I
can't decide for everybody.

>     - avoid packages that would slow down the interface

How do you know that ?

>     - minimize method overrides

This would require me to look at every packages. A better solution is to
release a new squeak-dev image often and correct bugs that are found.

Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
>> It seems there is something very strange with the mouse buttons. The
>> middle click doesn't do the same in windows and in linux. They are
>> swapped. Maybe something in the vm, maybe in the OS. I won't touch
>> this preference.
>
> Yes, there was some discussion about that confusion here recently. I
> suggest to put a note into the TOP line of a workspace, reminding the
> (possibly novice) user and explaning where to change it.

Ok

On 14 sept. 06, at 14:21, Damien Cassou wrote:

> stephane ducasse a écrit :
>> when selecting the packages here is the most important points:
>>     - avoid gadgets (people can load them after, so I would not
>> add UI modification so that people are sure that this is 3.9)
>

> I agree but people have to tell me what is gadget and what is not.
> I can't decide for everybody.

So develop your vision. Be the master of the Squeak-Dev image.
We do not want everything, we want the best and the useful :)
Put your criteria in place and people should be convincing you to get
their stuff in

for me
        Shout
        RB (with services integration)
        ecompletion
        Smacc
        are absolutely necessary ;)

        After dynamic protocol
        I did not try BrowserBooster yet

>>     - avoid packages that would slow down the interface
>

> How do you know that ?

Try them. So the look enh are out.

>>     - minimize method overrides
>

> This would require me to look at every packages. A better solution
> is to release a new squeak-dev image often and correct bugs that
> are found.

hehehe you are learning the job of a harvester :)
but minimizing the overrides is important.

1234