An Alan Kay talk archive site

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Hello,

I've been making a simple web site of collection of Alan Kay talks
(and other materials in the future).

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay

For three of those movies, I cleaned up the transcript, put
annotation. and inserted the original visual material. For example,
his Turing Award Lecture, he used Squeak and Croquet.  I recreated the
demo by using those old images and inserted it to the movie of the
talk.

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Alan_Kay_Turing_Award_Lecture_(2004)

For others talks, we have machine generated transcript but they are
not quite comprehensible.  But the good news is that the site is Wiki;
so if you are willing to help us, you can edit the site!  For now, I'd
think that we'd focus on cleaning up transcript and then some of us
can put annotations after that.  If some of you take time to help us,
that would be really great!

Over time, we'd like to have other contents such as papers, related
materials, and actual runnable demos. I don't think SqueakJS can run
Alan's flagship images that are over 100MB, and even if it did, Etoys
is not quite fast enough.  For some time, he used a system called
Frank, which is hosted in a Squeak environment but used its own
special graphics system.  That does not run in browsers.  If you have
some suggestions how to make things available, please let me know.

Besides that, if you have suggestions on possible organizations,
please also let me know.  For example, as we get more talks cleaned
up, we can cross link them by topics and themes, etc.  As a start, I
put some effort on the site so that when you click on the transcript,
the movie jumps to the part; I could imagine to have some different UI
there to be able to jump to different contents; but it is not clear to
me until we have some more movies.

-- Yoshiki

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
> For example, his Turing Award Lecture, he used Squeak and Croquet.  I
> recreated the
> demo by using those old images and inserted it to the movie of the
> talk.

Wow, thanks! Any possibility those images (and ideally VMs) could be made
available alongside the videos?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
>> For example, his Turing Award Lecture, he used Squeak and Croquet.  I
>> recreated the
>> demo by using those old images and inserted it to the movie of the
>> talk.
>
> Wow, thanks! Any possibility those images (and ideally VMs) could be made
> available alongside the videos?

We will do that.  I think it would be good to do a bit of clean up,
and put the "Thread" of the talk. I'll do that hopefully by the end of
year...

-- Yoshiki

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Yoshiki,

> I've been making a simple web site of collection of Alan Kay talks
> (and other materials in the future).
>
> http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay

This is an extremely valuable contribution - thanks for doing that and
for posting so much material to YouTube! I haven't updated my own list
of talks since 2013:

http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/

Would it be ok if I add a link to your page at the top of mine?

Some people who I would like to point out these talks to don't have
enough fluency in English to enjoy them. Subtitles in their language
would be an interesting option. We did that for the "Squeakers" DVD
where having the English transcript made it relatively easy for me to
translate it into Portuguese, for example. Creating the transcript in
the first place and setting the timing information is what takes up the
most effort.

-- Jecel

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yoshiki,
>>
>> I've been making a simple web site of collection of Alan Kay talks
>> (and other materials in the future).
>>
>> http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay
>
> This is an extremely valuable contribution - thanks for doing that and
> for posting so much material to YouTube! I haven't updated my own list
> of talks since 2013:
>
> http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/
>
> Would it be ok if I add a link to your page at the top of mine?

Absolutely. And I should look through your list.

> Some people who I would like to point out these talks to don't have
> enough fluency in English to enjoy them. Subtitles in their language
> would be an interesting option. We did that for the "Squeakers" DVD
> where having the English transcript made it relatively easy for me to
> translate it into Portuguese, for example. Creating the transcript in
> the first place and setting the timing information is what takes up the
> most effort.

Ah... that is definitely right.  The wiki currently does not care
about the language issue, but Mediawiki is very big about it and I
should be able to re-instate the feature.

The way I get the machine generated versions of transcript was to run
the movie on YouTube, and run a JS function defined in the console
that periodically looked at the caption-window class and append its
textContent into the result.  It is polling-based whose frequency is 3
seconds.  Also Youtube does not put any punctuation nor capitalization
so it does not read as sentences.  it is an okay starting point but  I
needed to hand edit it afterwards.

-- Yoshiki

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
> We will do that.

Yay! One step closer to "It Should Be Active, But Where (and When) Will It
Be?".

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
>> We will do that.
>
> Yay! One step closer to "It Should Be Active, But Where (and When) Will It
> Be?".

I'll be away from my computer sometime in next a few days but I'll try
to clean up the image soon.  If that happens, it'll be on
tinlizzie.org.

-- Yoshiki

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
For now, a bit of cleaned up image for the Turing Award talk is available here:

I did not do the best job of cleaning up the image, but if you know
how hard it was to delete a project from one of those old images, you
understand...

http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/IA-OOPSLA2004.zip

-- Yoshiki

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
> For now, a bit of cleaned up image for the Turing Award talk is available
> here:

Cooool! Thanks. On Mac, I was able to run with a "Squeak 4.2.3beta1U" VM

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Sean P. DeNigris wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:59:31 -0700 (MST)
> Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
> > For now, a bit of cleaned up image for the Turing Award talk is available
> > here:
>
> Cooool! Thanks. On Mac, I was able to run with a "Squeak 4.2.3beta1U" VM

Thanks, Yoshiki, for releasing this! It works just fine on the Linux 32
bit 4.16.3-3759 VM.

-- Jecel

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 04:42:04PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:

> Sean P. DeNigris wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:59:31 -0700 (MST)
> > Yoshiki Ohshima-3 wrote
> > > For now, a bit of cleaned up image for the Turing Award talk is available
> > > here:
> >
> > Cooool! Thanks. On Mac, I was able to run with a "Squeak 4.2.3beta1U" VM
>
> Thanks, Yoshiki, for releasing this! It works just fine on the Linux 32
> bit 4.16.3-3759 VM.
>
> -- Jecel

Also fine on 64-bit Linux of course (no need for 32-bit libraries).

It's nice to see a "powerpoint" that is alive and real, it's much more
convincing that way  :-)

Dave

Re: An Alan Kay talk archive site

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Sean, Jecel and David,

Thank you for testing! I do have the Sketchpad movie.  I should stick
that into the movie.

--
-- Yoshiki