An application with several open documents

An application with several open documents

Mikael Svane
How do I create a Dolphin application that can contain several open
documents at the same time (like several open spreadsheets inside Excel)? I
have already created the actual documents (as subclasses of Presenter) and
have been looking through the image, especially the Presenter hierarchy, but
can't find an obvious way of doing this, perhaps since I don't know the
english word for this kind of application.

Thanks in advance,

Mikael Svane

Re: An application with several open documents

Bill Schwab-2
Mikael,

> How do I create a Dolphin application that can contain several open
> documents at the same time (like several open spreadsheets inside Excel)?
> have already created the actual documents (as subclasses of Presenter) and
> have been looking through the image, especially the Presenter hierarchy,
but
> can't find an obvious way of doing this, perhaps since I don't know the
> english word for this kind of application.

That depends on what you mean.  Microsoft created the "multiple document
interface" aka MDI, which they later deprecated, then continued to use - do
as we say, not as we do =:(   I am not aware the Dolphin supports MDI,
probably in large part because Microsoft said not to use it.

The other (perhaps deceptively) obvious example is the IDE itself, which
simply shows multiple shells.  Note the Window menu on the Dolphin tools.

Does that help?

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: An application with several open documents

Ian Bartholomew-19
Mikael,

> How do I create a Dolphin application that can contain several open
> documents at the same time (like several open spreadsheets inside
> Excel)?

That sounds a bit like the old MDI (Multiple Document Interface) that a few
Windows apps used to use (and possibly still do?).  To be honest I can't
remember a lot about it other than that Smalltalk/V used to support it.

>        I have already created the actual documents (as subclasses of
> Presenter) and have been looking through the image, especially the
> Presenter hierarchy, but can't find an obvious way of doing this,
> perhaps since I don't know the english word for this kind of
> application.

It depends a lot on what you want.  You could have a "anchor" shell as your
main application and then open up each required document in a new shell -
like the Dolphin development environment does.  If you don't want two of the
documents to be visible at the same time you could use a tab view.  You
could have a shell and arrange the presenters, dynamically, within it.
You'll have to give us more of a clue on what you actually want.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: An application with several open documents

Mikael Svane
Ian, Bill,

Yes, I guess that I was thinking about MDI and I was looking for support for
it somewhere in the image (not having realized that Microsoft doesn't
support it any more). I guess that I will choose the anchor shell
implementation instead.

Thanks!

Mikael

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> skrev i meddelandet
news:m%Bgc.31674$[hidden email]...
> Mikael,
>
> > How do I create a Dolphin application that can contain several open
> > documents at the same time (like several open spreadsheets inside
> > Excel)?
>
> That sounds a bit like the old MDI (Multiple Document Interface) that a
few

> Windows apps used to use (and possibly still do?).  To be honest I can't
> remember a lot about it other than that Smalltalk/V used to support it.
>
> >        I have already created the actual documents (as subclasses of
> > Presenter) and have been looking through the image, especially the
> > Presenter hierarchy, but can't find an obvious way of doing this,
> > perhaps since I don't know the english word for this kind of
> > application.
>
> It depends a lot on what you want.  You could have a "anchor" shell as
your
> main application and then open up each required document in a new shell -
> like the Dolphin development environment does.  If you don't want two of
the

> documents to be visible at the same time you could use a tab view.  You
> could have a shell and arrange the presenters, dynamically, within it.
> You'll have to give us more of a clue on what you actually want.
>
> --
> Ian
>
> Use the Reply-To address to contact me.
> Mail sent to the From address is ignored.

Re: An application with several open documents

Bill Schwab-2
Mikael,

> Yes, I guess that I was thinking about MDI and I was looking for support
for
> it somewhere in the image (not having realized that Microsoft doesn't
> support it any more).

It's a litle less drastic, and (sorry) more hypocritical than that.  Clearly
it is supported, because things that use it run.

> I guess that I will choose the anchor shell
> implementation instead.

Probably a good choice.

Have a good one,

Bill