An essay on Silk

Herby Vojčík
https://medium.com/@herbySk/silk-is-just-too-flexible-24835693d463

Re: An essay on Silk

Joe Shirk

410 Error -The author deleted this Medium story
Browse for great reads on Medium.com

Re: An essay on Silk

Herby Vojčík
Yeah, I left Medium because of some issue which I found incompatible with my world view.

Richard Eng moved the article here: https://smalltalkrenaissance.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/silk-is-just-too-flexible/

Herby

Joe Shirk wrote:

> 410 Error -The author deleted this Medium story
> Browse for great reads on Medium.com <https://medium.com/>
>
> On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 2:19:53 PM UTC-4, Herby wrote:
>
>     https://medium.com/@herbySk/silk-is-just-too-flexible-24835693d463

Re: An essay on Silk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Herby Vojčík wrote
Yeah, I left Medium because of some issue which I found incompatible with my world view.
Would you be willing to share that with us? I still don't really understand Medium...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: An essay on Silk

Herby Vojčík
[PERSONAL]

Well, it's really political / cultural. I don't feel like bothering
people on the list with the details.

I am on the right-wing, pro-life, anti-LGBT-rights,
anti-redefine-marriage side. After US Supreme Court (IMNSHO, tragic)
decision, the logo of Medium changed to rainbow colour and stayed such
for some time.

I won't host my articles on the site that can put that thing on any of
my articles, without asking me. I do not join their sentiment and do not
think it is something worth public celebration; on the contrary.

(other poisoned sites include ie. bitbucket and github - I already
deleted my personal account on bitbucket, creating one only for purpose
of my actual job; and actively looking for some replacement to github -
which may as well mean I would need to stop taking care of amber or even
contribute to it)

Herby

Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Herby Vojčík wrote
>> Yeah, I left Medium because of some issue which I found incompatible with
>> my world view.
>
> Would you be willing to share that with us? I still don't really understand
> Medium...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: An essay on Silk

Herby Vojčík

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> [PERSONAL]

Well, seems that it sent to the list anyway :-/ even if I wanted to only reply personally. Shit happens.

Re: An essay on Silk

NorbertHartl

> Am 18.07.2015 um 17:44 schrieb Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>:
>

> Herby Vojčík wrote:
>> [PERSONAL]
>
> Well, seems that it sent to the list anyway :-/ even if I wanted to only reply personally. Shit happens.

Yes, shit happens. And I'm glad not sharing a mindset like this, sorry. Otherwise I would stop using amber.

Norbert

Re: An essay on Silk

Herby Vojčík

People _shoukl_, IMO, "vote by feet", eg. moving away from bad places. Otherwise policy makers of those bad places won't ever get the feedback. Like this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott. But I understand a lot of people just don't think it's worth it, compared to their immediate personal losses.

> Norbert

Re: An essay on Silk

horrido
Medium is a cross between a blogging site and a "publication" site. Many organizations use it like an online magazine. For example, there's a "magazine" devoted to all things war-related. There's one related to science. Et cetera.

The thing about Medium is that they make it REAL EASY for you to look GOOD when you publish an article. My publications are a case in point. They may or may not contain rubbish, but–damn!–they look good. Some of my popular articles include:
  • The Three Worst Programming Languages
  • The Smalltalk Revolution
  • Dart is Dead
  • A Word from The Beegoist
  • The Case for Go Web Frameworks
  • The Zen of web2py
  • How to Choose a Programming Language
  • A Gentle Introduction to Amber
I'm really hoping that "Amber Alert: We can do mobile apps!" (due next week) will be another hit. By drawing attention to these articles via Reddit, Twitter and Facebook, I can reach–and have reached– a lot of people around the world.

I absolutely love this platform. It's much, much, much better than WordPress, which is what I used to launch Smalltalk Renaissance. You see, Medium is also an "aggregation" site.

I would highly recommend Medium if you want to get your voice heard.

Herby Vojčík wrote

--
View this message in context: <a href="http://forum.world.st/An-essay-on-Silk-tp4832140p4838077.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FAn-essay-on-Silk-tp4832140p4838077.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG4eRciBUMPGjx-gSokaPCWRlQU6w&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FAn-essay-on-Silk-tp4832140p4838077.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG4eRciBUMPGjx-gSokaPCWRlQU6w&#39;;return true;">http://forum.world.st/An-essay-on-Silk-tp4832140p4838077.html
Sent from the Amber Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: An essay on Silk

horrido
I don't let my personal politics commingle with my technological bent. I respect Herby's views, even if I don't agree with them. I won't lose sight of the goal, which is to promote Smalltalk. And if that means using Medium, GitHub, WordPress, etc., so be it.

I can still use Medium, Facebook, or whatever to advocate for other causes (and believe me, they are controversial), but there will ALWAYS be dissenters. That's life.