An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi,

    I'm stuck here in the stonestown Apple Store waiting to get my daughter's iPhone in for repair (had to reschedule because they need her Apple ID and password to disable find my iPhone but I had to wait until a friend could contact her for the info because...she doesn't have her iPhone, I do).  So I'm checking out the new MBP and surfing Squeak.org etc.  one thing I notice is ancient screen shots in documents on the wiki.  This isn't just because it's time consuming to rewrite the docs; it's also a manual process to generate the images.  It strikes me that we could automate deriving pictures of browsers etc, by using the vm command line to script opening a specific browser in an image and exporting an image.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a github project that did this that one could check out and extend and would comprise both the set of scripts to generate the images and the generated images.  It would then be reasonably straight-forward to update the images when a new release would come out.  The images could be uploaded to some server so that web docs can refer to the most up-to-date images via a static URL.

Student project anyone?

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Re: An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

Tobias Pape
hi Eliot,

On 18.11.2016, at 21:57, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm stuck here in the stonestown Apple Store waiting to get my daughter's iPhone in for repair (had to reschedule because they need her Apple ID and password to disable find my iPhone but I had to wait until a friend could contact her for the info because...she doesn't have her iPhone, I do).  So I'm checking out the new MBP and surfing Squeak.org etc.  one thing I notice is ancient screen shots in documents on the wiki.  This isn't just because it's time consuming to rewrite the docs; it's also a manual process to generate the images.  It strikes me that we could automate deriving pictures of browsers etc, by using the vm command line to script opening a specific browser in an image and exporting an image.

Can you share one of those screenshots, so we get which kind you mean?
Because on the main page and on the documentation page, the images are not too shabby :)

Best regards
        -tobias

> Wouldn't it be great if there was a github project that did this that one could check out and extend and would comprise both the set of scripts to generate the images and the generated images.  It would then be reasonably straight-forward to update the images when a new release would come out.  The images could be uploaded to some server so that web docs can refer to the most up-to-date images via a static URL.
>
> Student project anyone?
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Re: An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
On Nov 18, 2016, at 1:08 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

squeak.org => docs => more... => Introduction to Squeak = http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/wolfgang.kreutzer/cosc205/smalltalk1.html

e.g.

image1.gif

Best regards
   -tobias

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On 18.11.2016, at 22:18, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>

> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
> On Nov 18, 2016, at 1:08 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hi Eliot,
>>
>> On 18.11.2016, at 21:57, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   I'm stuck here in the stonestown Apple Store waiting to get my daughter's iPhone in for repair (had to reschedule because they need her Apple ID and password to disable find my iPhone but I had to wait until a friend could contact her for the info because...she doesn't have her iPhone, I do).  So I'm checking out the new MBP and surfing Squeak.org etc.  one thing I notice is ancient screen shots in documents on the wiki.  This isn't just because it's time consuming to rewrite the docs; it's also a manual process to generate the images.  It strikes me that we could automate deriving pictures of browsers etc, by using the vm command line to script opening a specific browser in an image and exporting an image.
>>
>> Can you share one of those screenshots, so we get which kind you mean?
>> Because on the main page and on the documentation page, the images are not too shabby :)
>

> squeak.org => docs => more... => Introduction to Squeak = http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/wolfgang.kreutzer/cosc205/smalltalk1.html

Ah, ok.
We should probably mention that this doc is for an older version?
We probably don't have write access to that document…

best regards
        -tobias

> e.g.
>
> <image1.gif>
>>
>> Best regards
>>    -tobias
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>

>>> Wouldn't it be great if there was a github project that did this that one could check out and extend and would comprise both the set of scripts to generate the images and the generated images.  It would then be reasonably straight-forward to update the images when a new release would come out.  The images could be uploaded to some server so that web docs can refer to the most up-to-date images via a static URL.
>>>
>>> Student project anyone?
>>>
>>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Re: An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

timrowledge
A couple of years (I think) ago I did try emailing the original authors of all the assorted intro/basics/etc docs that we were pointing to from the site. I only got one response, promising to update Real Soon Now but alas, nothing has ever happened.

Where possible, and as soon as possible, we really ought to write new and up to date intro docs. It’s not a trivial thing because a clear explanation is always hard to write but it is very important. The swiki has a fairly large number of pages from several attempts to write tutorials and teach-yourself-Smalltalk course. None of them are even slightly up to date nor complete.

> On 18-11-2016, at 1:23 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> squeak.org => docs => more... => Introduction to Squeak = http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/wolfgang.kreutzer/cosc205/smalltalk1.html
>
> Ah, ok.
> We should probably mention that this doc is for an older version?
> We probably don't have write access to that document…

tim
Strange OpCodes: CMN: Convert to Mayan Numerals

Re: An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

Chris Muller-3
What about when pictures get out-of-sync with the text?  New buttons
that aren't described, etc.  I think this is one of those things that
is better communicated human-to-human.  The pictures should be part of
a cohesive whole.  We should just update the screens manually.  They
don't change often or much, and now they're Theme-dependent anyway, we
can't really program a "correct" aesthetic.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'm stuck here in the stonestown Apple Store waiting to get my daughter's iPhone in for repair (had to reschedule because they need her Apple ID and password to disable find my iPhone but I had to wait until a friend could contact her for the info because...she doesn't have her iPhone, I do).  So I'm checking out the new MBP and surfing Squeak.org etc.  one thing I notice is ancient screen shots in documents on the wiki.  This isn't just because it's time consuming to rewrite the docs; it's also a manual process to generate the images.  It strikes me that we could automate deriving pictures of browsers etc, by using the vm command line to script opening a specific browser in an image and exporting an image.
>
> Wouldn't it be great if there was a github project that did this that one could check out and extend and would comprise both the set of scripts to generate the images and the generated images.  It would then be reasonably straight-forward to update the images when a new release would come out.  The images could be uploaded to some server so that web docs can refer to the most up-to-date images via a static URL.
>
> Student project anyone?

Re: An idea for more up2date screenshots in doc

Stéphane Rollandin
>> squeak.org => docs => more... => Introduction to Squeak = http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/wolfgang.kreutzer/cosc205/smalltalk1.html
>
> Ah, ok.

Indeed.