Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

Damien Cassou
Hi,

Imagine I have a package Super with a class Super and a package Sub
with a class Sub that inherits from Super.

If I create a moose model of the package Super, I get the class Sub as
a stub. I find that very surprising: why are all subclasses of the
system included in the model. The semantics of the inheritance
relation is one-way: a class knows its super class, not the opposite.

Can somebody explain why subclasses are included in the analyses?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

Nicolai Hess

Imagine I have a package Super with a class Super and a package Sub
with a class Sub that inherits from Super.

If I create a moose model of the package Super, I get the class Sub as
a stub. I find that very surprising: why are all subclasses of the
system included in the model. The semantics of the inheritance
relation is one-way: a class knows its super class, not the opposite.

Can somebody explain why subclasses are included in the analyses?

I don't know much about the moose model and I consider inheritance
as an one-way relationship too, but otherwise, a Smalltalk class *knows* its
subclasses.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

abergel
I understand that the rational behind this, is to populate stubs with the maximum amount of information.
Is this a problem however?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:39 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Imagine I have a package Super with a class Super and a package Sub
> with a class Sub that inherits from Super.
>
> If I create a moose model of the package Super, I get the class Sub as
> a stub. I find that very surprising: why are all subclasses of the
> system included in the model. The semantics of the inheritance
> relation is one-way: a class knows its super class, not the opposite.
>
> Can somebody explain why subclasses are included in the analyses?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

Anne Etien
It may be a problem since when you want to analyse a package, you may not want to pull with him all the subclasses that are in other package. Moreover, we don’t have the same behavior in all languages (for example, in java and ST).

It is possible to choose not pulling the method extension, it could be good to have the same opportunity while creating an mse from ST code not dragging all the subclasses when they are stub, no ?

Cheers,
Anne
Le 2 oct. 2014 à 17:07, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I understand that the rational behind this, is to populate stubs with the maximum amount of information.
> Is this a problem however?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:39 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Imagine I have a package Super with a class Super and a package Sub
>> with a class Sub that inherits from Super.
>>
>> If I create a moose model of the package Super, I get the class Sub as
>> a stub. I find that very surprising: why are all subclasses of the
>> system included in the model. The semantics of the inheritance
>> relation is one-way: a class knows its super class, not the opposite.
>>
>> Can somebody explain why subclasses are included in the analyses?
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

stepharo
We could customise the smalltalk importer.
Damien have a look at the Importer may be we can add a setting to
control that.

On 2/10/14 11:39, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Imagine I have a package Super with a class Super and a package Sub
> with a class Sub that inherits from Super.
>
> If I create a moose model of the package Super, I get the class Sub as
> a stub. I find that very surprising: why are all subclasses of the
> system included in the model. The semantics of the inheritance
> relation is one-way: a class knows its super class, not the opposite.
>
> Can somebody explain why subclasses are included in the analyses?

Re: Analysing a package brings unsuspected packages in

Anne Etien
We customized the smalltalk importer in order to support the not blind importing of subclasses.
We also added tests.

Anne (and Stéphane)