Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

And it goes on - How do I fix a missing repository

Long Haired David
I am obviously out of the loop when it comes to all of this repository stuff. 

So, I have imported my 8.0 code into 9.0 but I can’t add an extension method to ScaledDecimal because a repository is missing. I check what to do and get sent to Iceberg. Somehow, as a newbie, I am supposed to understand how iceberg works but, being a 76 year old VAST Smalltalker, I don’t. Surely, when I install 9.0, qashouldn’t I get everything I need for a basic image?

What do I do next. Attached is a screenshot of Iceberg.

David
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: And it goes on - How do I fix a missing repository

Esteban Lorenzano
Hi,

I am sorry, but why you need a repository to add an extension methods?
To add an extension, the easiest way to open calypso and put your method in ScaledDecimal. Then you can use the menu right clicking on the method you added :

The fact that you need a repository to save  those changes later is completely orthogonal to your problem :)

cheers!
Esteban

On Jun 1 2021, at 5:26 pm, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, I have imported my 8.0 code into 9.0 but I can’t add an extension method to ScaledDecimal because a repository is missing. I check what to do and get sent to Iceberg. Somehow, as a newbie, I am supposed to understand how iceberg works but, being a 76 year old VAST Smalltalker, I don’t. Surely, when I install 9.0, qashouldn’t I get everything I need for a basic image?

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
To fix a missing repo you follow iceberg you click on the repair menu item of the project.
Iceberg will then propose some several different ways (explained) and sorted by order of probability that they will solve your problem.
So if you select clone iceberg will clone pharo on your local machine. 

S

On 1 Jun 2021, at 17:34, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

To add an extension, the easiest way to open calypso and put your method in ScaledDecimal. Then you can use the menu right clicking on the method you added :

<Pasted File.png>
The fact that you need a repository to save  those changes later is completely orthogonal to your problem :)

cheers!
Esteban

David

--------------------------------------------
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle 
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Russ Whaley
Thanks for the info, Stephane. I was wondering also about the source code as I was unable to set breakpoints on Pharo code to work without the repos. 

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
To fix a missing repo you follow iceberg you click on the repair menu item of the project.
Iceberg will then propose some several different ways (explained) and sorted by order of probability that they will solve your problem.

S

Hi,

<Pasted File.png>

cheers!
Esteban

David

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban Lorenzano
I still do not understand why you need to repository at all.
you should not need it to do anything of what you are trying to do (adding extensions and setting breakpoints).

Esteban
On Jun 3 2021, at 12:18 am, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the info, Stephane. I was wondering also about the source code as I was unable to set breakpoints on Pharo code to work without the repos. 

S

Hi,

<Pasted File.png>

cheers!
Esteban

David

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Russ Whaley
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Following this from the sidelines - I think sometimes the confusion comes from the Iceberg window showing red/detached repos that are only important if you are actively working on Pharo itself - however they “look” important.

I’m not sure if we have this feature request - but I’ve often thought it would be handy to have an option/checkbox to hide these “system” Repos so you can focus on your own work.

It should be a trivial things to add - and if it defaulted to hidden, it might reduce these kinds of questions.

Tim

On 3 Jun 2021, at 08:39, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

you should not need it to do anything of what you are trying to do (adding extensions and setting breakpoints).

Esteban

S

Hi,

<Pasted File.png>

cheers!
Esteban

David

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Russ Whaley
Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban Lorenzano

On Jun 3 2021, at 1:48 pm, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Following this from the sidelines - I think sometimes the confusion comes from the Iceberg window showing red/detached repos that are only important if you are actively working on Pharo itself - however they “look” important.

I’m not sure if we have this feature request - but I’ve often thought it would be handy to have an option/checkbox to hide these “system” Repos so you can focus on your own work.

heh... one of the first versions of iceberg even had this hide/show pharo projects button!
but it got lost at some point.
I do agree we need to make it back, maybe as a tab, since I foreseen there will be more "internal projects" in the future :)

Esteban

It should be a trivial things to add - and if it defaulted to hidden, it might reduce these kinds of questions.

Tim

Esteban

S

Hi,

<Pasted File.png>

cheers!
Esteban

David

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Russ Whaley
Reply | Threaded
|

Russ Whaley
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
Interesting. However, when I attempt to set a breakpoint on any code in those repos, I get a debugger failure when attempting to run my app. I’ll see if I can get a screenshot of the error message.  

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 7:49 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim

Esteban

S

Hi,

<Pasted File.png>

cheers!
Esteban

David

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Russ Whaley
--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
In reply to this post by Esteban Lorenzano
Surely,  one of the bases of OO development is to subclass and extend existing classes? How can you code on the fly, as mentioned as one great benefit of Smalltalk, if you can’t set break points? I have lost you here.
David

> On 3 Jun 2021, at 08:39, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I still do not understand why you need to repository at all.
> you should not need it to do anything of what you are trying to do (adding extensions and setting breakpoints).
>
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
David,

I don’t think the question is whether you need breakpoints or not. You should be able to set breakpoints without these repositories. Maybe you could give a few hints at what happens when you try…

Joachim

> Am 03.06.2021 um 14:38 schrieb David Pennington <[hidden email]>:
>
> Surely,  one of the bases of OO development is to subclass and extend existing classes? How can you code on the fly, as mentioned as one great benefit of Smalltalk, if you can’t set break points? I have lost you here.
> David
>
>> On 3 Jun 2021, at 08:39, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I still do not understand why you need to repository at all.
>> you should not need it to do anything of what you are trying to do (adding extensions and setting breakpoints).
>>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Russ Whaley
Well, good news, bad news.  I AM able to set breakpoints wherever I want in Pharo (repo) code... and in many cases the breakpoint works and the debugger pops up.  However, I must have stumbled across (perhaps the only) one that blows up when I run my app.  See screenshot.  To be clear, I've had no issue extending Pharo repo classes (into my own packages).  Besides the bold red text stating the repos are missing in Iceberg :) this is the only error I've come across.  I have not spent a lot of time poking around to see which classes allow breakpoints and which don't.  Initially I feared none of the breakpoints would work, but when I removed the breakpoint on SpSingleSelectionMode - the next breakpoint (in Pharo repo) did fire and brought up the debugger.

I've since worked around my problem (thanks Esteban!) and the breakpoint on SpSingleSelectionMode is no longer required :)

Thanks!
Russ

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 8:54 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
David,

I don’t think the question is whether you need breakpoints or not. You should be able to set breakpoints without these repositories. Maybe you could give a few hints at what happens when you try…

Joachim

>
> Surely,  one of the bases of OO development is to subclass and extend existing classes? How can you code on the fly, as mentioned as one great benefit of Smalltalk, if you can’t set break points? I have lost you here.
> David
>
>>
>> you should not need it to do anything of what you are trying to do (adding extensions and setting breakpoints).
>>
>

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 9.11.56 AM (2).png (323K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

gcotelli
Probably you put a breakpoint in code that is used by the debugger infrastructure... you can use object-centric breakpoints for this use case to break only on the presenter instance that you want to debug.

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 10:24 AM Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, good news, bad news.  I AM able to set breakpoints wherever I want in Pharo (repo) code... and in many cases the breakpoint works and the debugger pops up.  However, I must have stumbled across (perhaps the only) one that blows up when I run my app.  See screenshot.  To be clear, I've had no issue extending Pharo repo classes (into my own packages).  Besides the bold red text stating the repos are missing in Iceberg :) this is the only error I've come across.  I have not spent a lot of time poking around to see which classes allow breakpoints and which don't.  Initially I feared none of the breakpoints would work, but when I removed the breakpoint on SpSingleSelectionMode - the next breakpoint (in Pharo repo) did fire and brought up the debugger.

I've since worked around my problem (thanks Esteban!) and the breakpoint on SpSingleSelectionMode is no longer required :)

Thanks!
Russ

David,

Joachim

>
> Surely,  one of the bases of OO development is to subclass and extend existing classes? How can you code on the fly, as mentioned as one great benefit of Smalltalk, if you can’t set break points? I have lost you here.
> David
>
>>
>>
>

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
|

Russ Whaley
Yes, I figured I had done something taboo :)  

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Probably you put a breakpoint in code that is used by the debugger infrastructure... you can use object-centric breakpoints for this use case to break only on the presenter instance that you want to debug.

Thanks!
Russ

David,

Joachim

>
> David
>
>>
>>
>

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
no just recursive and without correct exit :)

On 3 Jun 2021, at 15:32, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I figured I had done something taboo :)  

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks!
Russ

David,

Joachim

>
> David
>
>>
>>
>

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]

--
Russ Whaley
[hidden email]

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52