[Ann] Another 3.10 release

Ralph Johnson
To find out more about the 3.10 release, see http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919

This will let you get the latest version, see how to request that
particular changes are added, and how to join in the discussion of
what should go into it.

Ralph Johnson
Edgar J. De Cleene

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

stephane ducasse
hi ralph

it would be good if you could add a description on the page of
included fix because
else everybody will have to have a look at the mantis entry.
This way you can get a chance to get more feedback

here is a list:
        adding font caching
        contacting marcus for the new compiler or fix to the compiler
        fixing all the dirt in *ghh of MC packages

Stef

On 13 avr. 07, at 15:25, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> To find out more about the 3.10 release, see http://wiki.squeak.org/
> squeak/5919
>
> This will let you get the latest version, see how to request that
> particular changes are added, and how to join in the discussion of
> what should go into it.
>
> Ralph Johnson
> Edgar J. De Cleene

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Ralph Johnson
On 4/13/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi ralph
>
> it would be good if you could add a description on the page of
> included fix because
> else everybody will have to have a look at the mantis entry.
> This way you can get a chance to get more feedback

Yes, that would be good, and i will go back and add an English description.

> here is a list:
>         adding font caching
>         contacting marcus for the new compiler or fix to the compiler
>         fixing all the dirt in *ghh of MC packages
>
> Stef

This list is a list of what you hope we will do, right?  #2 on that
list is high on my list, too.  I don't understand #3.

-Ralph

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno ven, 13/04/2007 alle 08.25 -0500, Ralph Johnson ha scritto:
> To find out more about the 3.10 release, see http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919
>
> This will let you get the latest version, see how to request that
> particular changes are added, and how to join in the discussion of
> what should go into it.

Hi Ralph and Edgar,

I've downloaded the 7081 image from ftp.squeak.org, then proceeded to
update it with the latest. Update 7085 raises a "Sorry that name is
already used" warning. Is that expected?

        Giovanni

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/13/07 2:53 PM, "Ralph Johnson" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> This list is a list of what you hope we will do, right?  #2 on that
> list is high on my list, too.  I don't understand #3.
>
> -Ralph
He is talking about a still needed clean in Monticello browser for no *
before names.
It's cleaned when you load the complete (or merged) new version of the
package.
As example Installer-Core-edc.83 have a * before , but is the right version
and don't exist  a new one on 310 repository.
But you don't elliminate the * until you select your own computer repository
(for fast) and load again manual ingnoring any complains by Monticello.
When I do a complete image again to end of month I care for doing manual
cleaning.

What happened , same what for several Squeak things, is what you end with
different methods sequence if you load via Monticello, via fileList or via
manual drag and drop.
We need unification all, but take time.

Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/13/07 3:17 PM, "Giovanni Corriga" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi Ralph and Edgar,
>
> I've downloaded the 7081 image from ftp.squeak.org, then proceeded to
> update it with the latest. Update 7085 raises a "Sorry that name is
> already used" warning. Is that expected?
>
> Giovanni

Yes. My mistake following Damien how to deal with Unix remote. I correct
now.

Avanti Milan !!!

Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Michael van der Gulik
Ralph Johnson wrote:
> To find out more about the 3.10 release, see
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919
>
> This will let you get the latest version, see how to request that
> particular changes are added, and how to join in the discussion of
> what should go into it.

Hi.

I've just started up that image. A small comment:

Please change the background colour!!!! My eyes - they hurt!

Usually the first thing I change in a new image is the background colour
to a dark blue. I can't understand how people can get work done with
bright pastel colours, or in this case, a yellow to green gradient!!

Michael.

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

stephane ducasse

On 13 avr. 07, at 19:53, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> On 4/13/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi ralph
>>
>> it would be good if you could add a description on the page of
>> included fix because
>> else everybody will have to have a look at the mantis entry.
>> This way you can get a chance to get more feedback
>
> Yes, that would be good, and i will go back and add an English
> description.
>
>> here is a list:
>>         adding font caching
>>         contacting marcus for the new compiler or fix to the compiler
>>         fixing all the dirt in *ghh of MC packages
>>
>> Stef
>
> This list is a list of what you hope we will do, right?  #2 on that
> list is high on my list, too.  I don't understand #3.

why don't you mention #1?

for #3 If you have a look at all the catgeory starting with * (which
normally should be attached to package)
you will see that there is a lot o obsolete name referencing to
package that changed.

> -Ralph

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

stephane ducasse
Edgar I do not understand what you said so I cannot comment.
I'm not talking about eliminating all * categories

> El 4/13/07 2:53 PM, "Ralph Johnson" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> This list is a list of what you hope we will do, right?  #2 on that
>> list is high on my list, too.  I don't understand #3.
>>
>> -Ralph
> He is talking about a still needed clean in Monticello browser for
> no *
> before names.
> It's cleaned when you load the complete (or merged) new version of the
> package.
> As example Installer-Core-edc.83 have a * before , but is the right
> version
> and don't exist  a new one on 310 repository.
> But you don't elliminate the * until you select your own computer
> repository
> (for fast) and load again manual ingnoring any complains by
> Monticello.
> When I do a complete image again to end of month I care for doing
> manual
> cleaning.
>
> What happened , same what for several Squeak things, is what you
> end with
> different methods sequence if you load via Monticello, via fileList
> or via
> manual drag and drop.
> We need unification all, but take time.
>
> Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno sab, 14/04/2007 alle 16.16 +1200, Michael van der Gulik ha
scritto:

> Ralph Johnson wrote:
> > To find out more about the 3.10 release, see
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919
> >
> > This will let you get the latest version, see how to request that
> > particular changes are added, and how to join in the discussion of
> > what should go into it.
>
> Hi.
>
> I've just started up that image. A small comment:
>
> Please change the background colour!!!! My eyes - they hurt!
>
> Usually the first thing I change in a new image is the background colour
> to a dark blue. I can't understand how people can get work done with
> bright pastel colours, or in this case, a yellow to green gradient!!

I agree that the current desktop color isn't pleasing to the eyes. On
the other hand, it's an effective way of communicating that this is
still an alpha release.

        Giovanni

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/14/07 3:36 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar I do not understand what you said so I cannot comment.
> I'm not talking about eliminating all * categories

I try to said what at this point I should do some manual for not  have * in
Monticello browser.
What don't means eliminating categories.

Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/14/07 1:16 AM, "Michael van der Gulik" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Usually the first thing I change in a new image is the background colour
> to a dark blue. I can't understand how people can get work done with
> bright pastel colours, or in this case, a yellow to green gradient!!
>
> Michael

Color is a very subjective thing.
The original 3.10 degradee is green.
3.9 images converted to 3.10 have this
First image is of 12/12/06 , austral summer.
Now is Autumn here and nature have green  with some yellow, red.
A picture background is out the question, maybe I choose the wrong color.

I try to have all happy, share with us your favorite scheme.

We could start a color scheme contest for next complete image scheduled
29/4/07

Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

stephane ducasse

On 14 avr. 07, at 12:47, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/14/07 3:36 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> Edgar I do not understand what you said so I cannot comment.
>> I'm not talking about eliminating all * categories
>

> I try to said what at this point I should do some manual for not
> have * in
> Monticello browser.

ok I was not talking about dirty packages (indeed we should not have
dirty packages)
I was talking about scanning the image and checking all the *xxxx
method catgeories
> What don't means eliminating categories.
>
> Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/14/07 9:24 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I was talking about scanning the image and checking all the *xxxx
> method catgeories

*xxx in method categories are extensions to Monticello packages. Or ?

I DNU what you wish I do :=)

Edgar

Re: [Ann] Another 3.10 release

stephane ducasse

On 14 avr. 07, at 18:38, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/14/07 9:24 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> I was talking about scanning the image and checking all the *xxxx
>> method catgeories
>

> *xxx in method categories are extensions to Monticello packages. Or ?

yes there are but some of them are dirt.

Stef