[Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Reinout Heeck
Hi all,

I'm doing a 'slow kick-off' of the BodyBuilder project, meaning that I'll be
preparing the collaboration environment for this project over the coming
weeks and that I intend to start development in earnest when I return from
Smalltalk Solutions.

So today I have set up a wiki at
  http://desk.org:8080/BodyBuilder

If you (or your shop) has done any significant build automation on VW I would
love it if you created a page there with a short 'war story' on what you
have, how you use it and snags encountered.
Even if you don't intend to join the BodyBuilder project I would greatly
appreciate it if you write up your experiences on the wiki so we can get a
feel for what is desired.

A BodyBuilder developers mailing list has been available for almost a year now
but that has been idle until now. I intend to idle it for a couple of days to
come so you have opportunity to subscribe if you want to participate (or
lurk) without missing the initial beats. Currently we have seven subscribers
to the list so there is plenty room for more participants without turning it
into a cacophony.
You can subscribe at
  http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bodybuilder-development

The BodyBuilder home page at
  http://bodybuilder.sourceforge.net/
has the executive overview describing the project. One thing leaps at you from
that page: there is no logo yet. So if you don't want to help developing
BodyBuilder your chance to put a significant mark on the project lies in
creating a logo for it :-)

At Smalltalk Solutions there will be a 'packaging BOF' session that I'll
attend. I have no idea when or where exactly that will be held but I suspect
Charles Monteiro will be the one giving us more info on this in due time.

Cheers,

Reinout
-------

Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Charles A. Monteiro-2
well gee, I guess I will :)

Here is what I have tried so far. I emailed the conference people i.e. the
Linux/Network World organizers, they replied that it was such a great idea
and then forwarded the email to the STIC side organizers. Have not heard
 from them. I think it has been a couple of weeks. In my request I had
mentioned that we were looking for support as far a room and a projector.
I personally have strategies/issues to share and so a projector would be
great. Perhaps getting the spare rooms is not that easy?

I also had mentioned in a post to this group that anybody interested to
please send me an email in case we have to do things "on the fly" and
folks need to be notified last minute etc.

Nobody emailed me but some people had mentioned that they were interested
i.e. via their posts. So far this is whom I know to be probably interested
( in no particular order )and understand will be attending StS 2006:

1. me or I
2. Michael Lucas-Smith
3. Travis Griggs
4. Reinout Heeck
5. Carl Gundel
6. Bruce Badger
7. hopefully somebody from Cincom
8. the forgotten ones

so the way I figure things can work out this way:

1. STIC might get back to us very soon and say "your room is ### and its
available at 5PM" , great we would just post this here on this list
possibly c.l.s.
2. If we can't get a room, would you all be into talking about this at a
pub/cafe? In that case we possibly could have some handouts etc. If we do
that I need some contact info which may require the hotel one is staying
at, not sure if we can count on cell phones working up there, not that
Canada does not have infrastructure of course ( must be politically
sensitive) but I can't get Verizon to work in up state NY :)

Anyhow, don't mind helping with the leg work but I need some feedback and
the most important one at the moment would be from a STIC person.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Alan Knight-2
Yes, where the words "STIC side organizers" here means me. The BOFs will be held in the regular session rooms, so I believe there ought to be a projector there. I'll check. They are held after show hours on the 25th and 26th. Since you're the only person who's asked for a BOF so far, so as far as I'm concerned, you can have your choice of time, although there's also the possibility of conflict with BOFs from other parts of the conference to be checked. They suggest the 25th is better, as the 26th is the last day, and lots of people may be gone.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Another BOF idea Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Carl Gundel
Another idea a had for a BOF I had is for Pollock performance.  To get a
few interested people together to do as Sam suggested and run the
performance tools on Pollock to nail down some bottlenecks and maybe fix
one or two of them.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:42:28 -0400 Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:10:05 -0400, Reinout Heeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm doing a 'slow kick-off' of the BodyBuilder project, meaning that
>>>I'll be
>>>preparing the collaboration environment for this project over the coming
>>>weeks and that I intend to start development in earnest when I return
>>>from
>>>Smalltalk Solutions.
>>>
>>>So today I have set up a wiki at
>>>  http://desk.org:8080/BodyBuilder
>>>
>>>If you (or your shop) has done any significant build automation on VW I
>>>would
>>>love it if you created a page there with a short 'war story' on what you
>>>have, how you use it and snags encountered.
>>>Even if you don't intend to join the BodyBuilder project I would greatly
>>>appreciate it if you write up your experiences on the wiki so we can get

Andre Schnoor

Reinout Heeck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing a 'slow kick-off' of the BodyBuilder project, meaning that I'll be
> preparing the collaboration environment for this project over the coming
> weeks and that I intend to start development in earnest when I return from
> Smalltalk Solutions.

[...]

Reinout, this looks like a great project.

I think I could (theoretically) have a good deal of re-usable building
blocks to contribute for BodyBuilder (packaging, image obfuscation,
product variants, stripping, automated OS-transparent
ResHacking/app-building, parcel signing/encryption, compiling
distributable archives (zip, dmg, self-extracting installers, etc),
OS-transparent  batch/script management, secure installer framework,
etc, etc. Although some details are confidential by nature, most of the
framework is not mission criticial for my business.

Creating and testing these tools took almost a year of work, just to
keep up with the "standards" VW doesn't yet support. These additional
expenses went on top of the actual product development (known as "the
productivity advantage").

If Cincom someday possibly choses to incorporate BodyBuilder to their
product (it's open source, so why not?), I think they should at least
make some commitment today, that, once they might decide to do so, the
significant contributors of the project will get some % off their VAR
rates or another appropriate compensation in "naturals". Doing all the
work for Cincom regarding one of the most wanted features ever for
nothing is not very motivating (and neither a clever business decision,
if one is already overloaded with commercial projects). Hopefully, the
NC community has more freedom and spare time to think differently.

Anyway, I'm willing to contribute to the design and share my experiences
in any case. I just cant figure out how to add my "story" to your Wiki.

Andre

Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Reinout Heeck

I created a page for the Packaging BOF on the BodyBuilder wiki, so people
stand a chance of finding something when Googling for the time/location
details.

So please add those details when they are available:

http://basis.desk.org:8080/BodyBuilder/Packaging+BOF+at+Smalltalk+Solutions+2006

Thanks all, for making this happen :-))

-

Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Anyway, I'm willing to contribute to the design and share my experiences
> in any case.

Splendid!

> I just cant figure out how to add my "story" to your Wiki.

Mea culpa,
On the front page I just added a link to the page describing the wiki syntax
and added some instructions there on how to create new pages.

Let me know if you still have problems,

Reinout
-------

Re: Another BOF idea Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Just don't run the sunits at the beginning of the BOF :)

Charles A. Monteiro

Andre Schnoor wrote:
> I think I could (theoretically) have a good deal of re-usable building
> blocks to contribute for BodyBuilder (packaging, image obfuscation,
> product variants, stripping, automated OS-transparent
> ResHacking/app-building, parcel signing/encryption, compiling
> distributable archives (zip, dmg, self-extracting installers, etc),
> OS-transparent  batch/script management, secure installer framework,
> etc, etc. Although some details are confidential by nature, most of the
> framework is not mission criticial for my business.

Splendid!
I have permission to make public all of the code of Soops' PackageBot which
implements a couple of the same building blocks (only tested on MsWindows so
far).
I intend to publish that somehow as you-are-on-your-own-ware, but haven't
decided on the form yet (I dislike the idea of publishing abandonware on the
pub repository). Additional things that could possibly be lifted from the
PackageBot include parallel build scheduling (to fully load multi-cpu boxes),
the OpenTalk St-St based client-server architecture and email-based
reporting.

> Creating and testing these tools took almost a year of work, just to
> keep up with the "standards" VW doesn't yet support. These additional
> expenses went on top of the actual product development (known as "the
> productivity advantage").

Yes, our experience is that developing building/packaging software in house is
horrendously expensive. I see two reasons for this:

-The development iteration cycle is *long* because doing a singular build may
take more than half an hour, testing the queueing of a composite/parallel
build takes well over an hour for some of our production cases.

-Bugs appearing in the automated build s/w are disruptive to our entire team
because our continuous integration needs to fall back to manual mode. In the
case of deployment builds everything stops until the build system is up again
since we stipulate that these must be mechanically repeatable in our shop.

> If Cincom someday possibly choses to incorporate BodyBuilder to their
> product (it's open source, so why not?), I think they should at least
> make some commitment today, that, once they might decide to do so, the
> significant contributors of the project will get some % off their VAR
> rates or another appropriate compensation in "naturals". Doing all the
> work for Cincom regarding one of the most wanted features ever for
> nothing is not very motivating (and neither a clever business decision,
> if one is already overloaded with commercial projects). Hopefully, the
> NC community has more freedom and spare time to think differently.

I have come to the conclusion that this is simply too expensive to be taken on
by a single shop (been there, done that) and that collaboration is the only
way to go forward, even for Cincom.
I opted for open source not only because that is currently hip, but mainly to
foster a singular build 'idiom' in the VW/St community so that we can help
each other on this and other forums simply because we are referring to the
same codebase. This project is firmly aimed at commercial use, but NC
participation is just as welcome for this purpose of having the community
gravitate to a single idiom.

As far as Cincom is concerned I already have spoken with them and I have been
told that they welcome this project and will put in effort where needed to
make their libraries (Store, parcel loading etc) compatible with the needs of
BodyBuilder. At this point in time I find that more important than attaching
strings to this project by demanding compensation from Cincom.

Our best bet is to have them eat our dogfood at some point in the future (ie.
that they build the VW distributions with BodyBuilder).

> Anyway, I'm willing to contribute to the design and share my experiences
> in any case.

Great :-)

-

Re: Another BOF idea Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Carl Gundel
Heh.  Well, I was thinking that probably a lot could be discovered by profiling the known case of inserting text into a TextEdit control that has been added to a form.  I spent some time looking over this myself but haven't nailed it yet.  I notice that it spends a LOT of time invalidating rectangles and redisplaying things.  It wasn't clear to me whether these operations themselves are slow (seems unlikely) or that perhaps the whole process is iterating out of control.

I hope that several pairs of eyes might do better.

So, I wonder who else here is interested in a Pollock Performance BOF?

wrote:

> Another idea a had for a BOF I had is for Pollock performance.  To get a
> few interested people together to do as Sam suggested and run the
> performance tools on Pollock to nail down some bottlenecks and maybe fix
> one or two of them.

Re: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

kobetic
Andre Schnoor wrote:

> I think I could (theoretically) have a good deal of re-usable building
> blocks to contribute for BodyBuilder (packaging, image obfuscation,
> product variants, stripping, automated OS-transparent
> ResHacking/app-building, parcel signing/encryption, compiling
> distributable archives (zip, dmg, self-extracting installers, etc),
> OS-transparent  batch/script management, secure installer framework,
> etc, etc. Although some details are confidential by nature, most of the
> framework is not mission criticial for my business.

"Cincom" would definitely be interested to cooperate on some sort of
parcel encryption and, more importantly, signing scheme, whenever
"Cincom" finally gets to it :-). But I'm afraid I don't have much more
to contribute at this point.

Best regards,

Martin

RE: [Ann] BodyBuilder packaging suite

Thomas Brodt
Hi Reinout

I am surprised how much drive this project gets. Seems to have hit the nail
of actual needs.

With all the commitments (even from Cincom) and already existing solutions
that are contributed this will definitely be a great project (and will help
many shops like ours a lot).

Thanks for having started this!

Thomas

Samuel S. Shuster <sames@interaccess.com>
Carl,

>It wasn't clear to me whether these operations themselves are slow (seems unlikely) or that perhaps the whole process is iterating out of control.

It could be that something needs to be wrapped in suppressUpdatesWhile:

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?