[Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

[Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

Stéphane Ducasse
On http://books.pharo.org/booklet-ConcurrentProgramming/

S.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: [Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thanks! And thanks in general for your tireless documentation efforts. I know
it can be a lonely pursuit but is soooo important :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

ducasse

> On 10 Feb 2020, at 18:28, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks! And thanks in general for your tireless documentation efforts. I know
> it can be a lonely pursuit but is soooo important :)

:)
Just pay me in PRs :)
Now working on the new Spec20 book.
S.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: [Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

ducasse
You are welcome.
This is really one of the few resources on the topic and at this level in the ecosystem.
In the future I plan to learn and explain monitors because they are better than semaphores or mutexes
but I have the learn about them before :).

Re: [Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Stef,

  here's my review/feedback

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 5:05 AM Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On http://books.pharo.org/booklet-ConcurrentProgramming/

In fig 1.1 there needs to be a back arrow from Executing to Runnable which is labelled "Preempted by a higher priority process" or similar.

In the label for fig 1.2 the word "pending" should be replaced with "runnable".

Page 8, section "Process Priorities"
"At any time only one process is executed." should read "At any time only one process is executing."
The line starting "Next table lists..." in the last paragraph on page 8 should read "The following table lists...".
The section might want to state some thing like "there that the current implementation of the Pharo scheduler has process priorities from 1 to 100.  Only some of these are named.  But the programmer is free to use any priority within that range that they see fit."  It would be good to include examples which did things like "forkAt: Processor userPriority + 1", etc.

In the label for Fig 2.1 "ressources" should read "resources".  But throughout that section I would word it that "processes need to share resources", but "the process is waiting to acquire the resource".  So use the plural for the general case and the singular for the specific case.
Sentences such as this: "P0 has finished to use the resources." should read "P0 has finished using the resource."

In Section 2.1 Conclusion
"Semaphores are the lower synchronisation mechanisms." should read "Semaphores are the lowest level synchronisation mechanisms."

Chapter 3, "Scheduler's Principles" should state that
"The Smalltalk scheduler is a real-time, cooperative, preemptive across priorities, non-preemptive within priorities, scheduler."

The title to Chapter 4.5 "ShareQueue: a nice semaphore example" should read "SharedQueue: a nice semaphore example"

Most of the paragraphs on page 49 in section 4.5 are still in French and need translating.

S.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

best, Eliot

Re: [Ann] Concurrent Programming in Pharo is available

I took into account all the feedback and produced a new version

Tx