[Ann] Cuis 3.3 released - You must see it!

[Ann] Cuis 3.3 released - You must see it!

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Cuis 3.3 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . This
release includes more cool new stuff than any other since Cuis 3.0. The
look and feel has been greatly enhanced and there have been many
important improvements under the hood too. Thanks Casey Ransberger for
your wonderful contributions to this release!

Please, download and take a look. And browse a bit the code too. If you
ever felt that in some part of Squeak or Pharo, code quality or
complexity could be better, compare with Cuis and share your comments.
Remember that Cuis is MIT and you're welcome to integrate any code from
it into Squeak or any derivative. Or better yet, Cuis could serve as a
great base to build the next generation Squeak or Pharo on top.

 From the release notes:

New in Cuis 3.3
-------------------
    * New nice Icon set from Tango (Casey)
        - Most menu options have now a nice icon
    * ContentPack - A clean solution for a problem Squeak had for over a
decade! (Casey)
        - Manages internal/external resources
        - Allows import / export to enable use of use existing stuff and
external tools
        - Does not depend on external files for image update
        - Updates done with code (enabling change sets of Monticello
packages)
        - Avoids cruft accumulation, code for resources is removed after
update
    * Taskbar for better access to minimized windows (Casey)
    * Multiple selection on text morphs (Thanks Bernhard Pieber and
Software Generation!)
        - Use ctrl + mouse for multiple selection
        - Do 'Preferences disable: #commandClickOpensHalo' to enable the
standard Mac gesture for multi-selection (command + mouse)
        - Enhanced senders view: all occurrences of sent message are
highlighted
    * Cosmetic tweaks in menus and Themes
    * NewTranscript fixes and enhancements (right click menu)
    * New hierarchy of Morphic Windows for tools, builds and handles UI
and menus; handles keystrokes
        - View / Model separation is now complete
        - Models are now GUI agnostic: they have 25% less methods and no
references to Morphs
        - Eases having alternate GUI frameworks such as Morphic 3, or
adapted versions of MVC, Tweak or EToys
    * Object level events cleanup
        - Gone is Model and the DependentsFields classVar in Object
        - Only object event system mechanism is #when:send:to:
    * Deep Models cleanup
    * Big cleanup of copy and friends.
        - #deepCopy eliminated
        - #veryDeepCopy, DeepCopier, #veryDeepInner:,
#veryDeepFixupWith: eliminated.
        - Use of ReferenceStream for copying object graphs such as Morphs
        - Clients don't need to know object internals to get a good copy
        - copying details in most classes greatly simplified
    * Editor tweaks and enhancements. Code simplification, removed
several ivars
    * New image shrinking tools: #reduceCuis for building reduced images
    * Support for gigabyte changes and sources files
         - not activated by default, as it needs new Sources file, i.e.
major version number change
         - Easy to activate if you need it
    * BlockClosure>>#isClean, BlockClosure serialization (for clean
blocks), enabling use of ReferenceStream for copying objects
    * Many minor Morphic fixes
    * Morphic cleanup. Morph selectors size reduced by 17%, several
ivars removed, code simplified.
    * Cleanup in Object and other basic classes. Object selectos size
reduced by 10%
    * FileList refactor

As usual, comments, discussion, bug reports, kudos and donations are all
welcome!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Ann] Cuis 3.3 released - You must see it!

Stéphane Rollandin

>          - #deepCopy eliminated
>          - #veryDeepCopy, DeepCopier, #veryDeepInner:,
> #veryDeepFixupWith: eliminated.

How do you control what is weakly copied and what is deeply copied in a
given reference graph ?

Re: [Ann] Cuis 3.3 released - You must see it!

Edgar De Cleene
Wow.
Just download and unzip for have the coolest Squeak ever...
Can run on my old G4 PPC also, which means lots of schools in USA must have
it.

Juan , GRACIAS

Edgar

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>>          - #deepCopy eliminated
>>          - #veryDeepCopy, DeepCopier, #veryDeepInner:,
>> #veryDeepFixupWith: eliminated.
>
> How do you control what is weakly copied and what is deeply copied in
> a given reference graph ?
>
> Stef

#nextPutWeak:

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Ann] Cuis 3.3 released - You must see it!

Jon Hylands
I just downloaded Cuis 3.3 to play around with it. I currently have installed the Squeak 4.0.2 VM.

When I open the virgin Cuis image, if I resize more than a certain amount (larger), the VM crashes. This does not happen with normal Squeak images (4.1, 4.2) that I have played with (using the same VM).

I can also crash it if I double-click on the title bar, which maximizes the window.

I'm running Windows XP at 1920 x 1200.

The image opens at a default 1024 x 760.

I'm attaching the crash.dmp file.

- Jon

crash.dmp (35K) Download Attachment

Jon Hylands wrote:

> I just downloaded Cuis 3.3 to play around with it. I currently have
> installed the Squeak 4.0.2 VM.
>
> When I open the virgin Cuis image, if I resize more than a certain
> amount (larger), the VM crashes. This does not happen with normal
> Squeak images (4.1, 4.2) that I have played with (using the same VM).
>
> I can also crash it if I double-click on the title bar, which
> maximizes the window.
>
> I'm running Windows XP at 1920 x 1200.
>
> The image opens at a default 1024 x 760.
>
> I'm attaching the crash.dmp file.
>
> - Jon

The problem happens when decoding the jpeg data for the world
background. It doesn't happen with 4.0.1 and older VMs. It also doesn't
happen with Cog. See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-March/157914.html
. Most likely it is related to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7523 .

Possible workarounds are using Cog or 4.0.1 VM, or disabling the
background image, by selecting a plain color for it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich