[Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hello

At the last Camp Smalltalk we finally managed to release the Deltawerken application framework
for Seaside and Storyboard, an example application using it. Here is a first description (to be expanded
and improved).

What is Deltawerken?

Deltawerken is a Seaside application level framework, allowing fast application development
for medium-sized applications. We have used an earlier extended version of it to build a system
with about 150 domain classes. Complexity was deliberately and systematically pushed from
the application to the framework. It uses a declarative way to describe domain classes somewhat
similar to Magritte or Mold. It uses Announcements, jQuery and jQueryUI.

Storyboard

Storyboard is a multi-user agile planning board with drag and drop support.  It shows how little
code is needed to build a complete application with Deltawerken.  It consists of 39 classes,
of which 7 are announcements (very simple). It allows you to quickly enter stories, estimate and prioritize them.
In addition to stories you can add issue, documentation and chore cards. The cards are colored based
on their story state. More details can be entered/viewed by expanding the card. In the expanded view
a change history is shown. Other users of Storyboard can be invited to participate.

Core domain classes are:
User, Project, Iteration, Story, Member

Some stories:
A user can have projects (s)he participates in.
A user can have invitations for other projects
A user can create projects
By creating a project or by accepting an invitation, a user becomes a member of the project
A member can invite other users to participate in a project.
A member can search for other users to invite.
Each member can have its own view on the project, the projectsettings
Each member can add a story to the project
A project has 4 projectviews, for done, current, backlog & icebox
By default, the projectsettings show the 4 projectViews
Adding a story is done by entering its storyName
A new story is added to the icebox
A story can be started after it has been estimated
A story can be dragged from the icebox to current or the backlog
A story that is done can no longer be prioritized
A story that is accepted can no longer be changed
A story can have a description
A story can be a bug, chore or documentation
Only (feature) stories are estimated

Deltawerken Features

User management
Field descriptions with validation for domain classes (somewhat similar to Magritte descriptions).
Builders for forms and reports.
Search support.

Deltawerken Components

DEField and its descendants are used to describe domain classes.

DEComponent is the base WAComponent equivalent. It knows the current user (if any) and announcer.

DEPageChoice is a DEComponent that switches what it shows based on announcements.
There are a number of addPage: variants

DEEditComponent  allows the editing of a single domain object. It can edit new or existing ones, using
a copy of the original to allow reverting changes. It can generate a div or table based layout. It can have a
header and/or a footer, and an infoText between the header and the form. For required fields,
it can show a *. Focus can be set on a specific field.

DEEditForm extends DEEditComponent with action buttons for save and cancel.

Getting started

StoryBoard provides a good overview of the power of Deltawerken. If you start it the first time,
it shows a welcome screen, showing the number of users and projects. Please make sure
you change the password of the administrator. In a workspace:

(SBUser userWithId: 'Admin') password: '<your new password>'

The application uses SBMain, a WAComponent, as its entrypoint. It has two children,  an SBLoginForm and a DEPageChoice initially showing SBPublicHome.

Then register yourself as a new user:

StoryState and StateTransition provide a state machine for the stories, allowing them to
move from #initial (unestimated) through #started to #finished, #delivered and
#accepted or #rejected leading again to #started.

When you are logged in, you arrive at the overview of your projects

You can create a new project, respond to an invitation to participate in a project,
view a storyboard of a project or view a team page of a project

The team page shows the current members and allows you to search for users to invite.

The storyboard of a project shows the four panes for done, current, backlog and icebox.

Iterations are shown in grey. By delivering an iteration, the accepted stories
are moved to done. and a new iteration is started. A story can be expanded to show
more details.

History

Deltawerken is a spin-off from the work we did developing a Seaside application for a start-up,
using GLASS and Seaside 2.8. We focused on pushing out complexity from the application to
the framework. When we started giving Seaside workshops, we wanted to provide the
participants with an environment where they didn't need to write a lot of code to make things work.
It was also used in our experiments to create a Naked Objects like user interface (if you were
wondering where the noXXX method names came from).
Last year it was upgraded from Scriptaculous to jQuery, and we developed StoryBoard.

Installing

Deltawerken has been tested with the Seaside one click 3.0 and 3.1 and a Pharo 1.4
It should run in Gemstone too. The metacello configuration does not load Seaside,
but has the needed code for that commented out.

See the instructions on the wiki page of:

http:ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Deltawerken
http:ss3.gemstone.com/ss/StoryBoard

License

MIT

Have fun,
  Diego & Stephan

PastedGraphic-1.png (51K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-2.png (28K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-3.png (39K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-5.png (39K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-6.png (30K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-7.png (50K) Download Attachment

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Gastón Dall' Oglio
YESSSSS!!!

Very probably, in next months, we begin a medium size app in Seaside, and Deltawerken would be a good choise.
I go study this framework.

Thanks, and regards.

2012/9/5 Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>
[...]

fstephany
Thanks for sharing guys!

On 05/09/12 05:33, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> [...]
> using GLASS and Seaside 2.8. We focused on pushing out complexity from the application to
> the framework. When we started giving Seaside workshops, we wanted to provide the
> participants with an environment where they didn't need to write a lot of code to make things work.
> It was also used in our experiments to create a Naked Objects like user interface (if you were
> wondering where the noXXX method names came from).
> Last year it was upgraded from Scriptaculous to jQuery, and we developed StoryBoard.
>
> Installing
>
> Deltawerken has been tested with the Seaside one click 3.0 and 3.1 and a Pharo 1.4
> It should run in Gemstone too. The metacello configuration does not load Seaside,
> but has the needed code for that commented out.
>
> See the instructions on the wiki page of:

http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Gastón Dall' Oglio
In a Pharo Summer image I loaded Seaside, and follow this instruction to load Deltawerken: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Deltawerken.html/Wiki and I get a 'Cannot resolve symbolic version #development' exception.

Then, I change from:

ConfigurationOfDeltaWerken>>development: spec
<symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
spec for: #'common' version: '0.1.0'

to:

ConfigurationOfDeltaWerken>>development: spec
 <symbolicVersion: #'development'>
spec for: #'common' version: '0.1.0'

and now load. It's fine?

 Gastón Dall' Oglio wrote:
>In a Pharo Summer image I loaded Seaside, and follow this instruction to
>load Deltawerken:
>http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Deltawerken.html/Wiki
> and I
>get a 'Cannot resolve symbolic version #development' exception.

Thank you for the report and fix.

Fixed in ConfigurationOfDeltawerken-StephanEggermont.12

Stephan

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Intrader Intrader
Stephan Eggermont <stephan <at> stack.nl> writes:

>  Gastón Dall' Oglio wrote:
> >In a Pharo Summer image I loaded Seaside, and follow this instruction to
> >load Deltawerken:
> >http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Deltawerken.html/Wiki
> > and I
> >get a 'Cannot resolve symbolic version #development' exception.
>
> Thank you for the report and fix.
>
> Fixed in ConfigurationOfDeltawerken-StephanEggermont.12
>
> Stephan

I have installed Deltawerken on Pharo 1.3 and Seaside 3.0.6. Seems to be all
there. I would like to see some documentation for Deltawerken (not related to
the ocean containment in Netherlands!). I have red several ariticles on Naked
objects, but do far do not see the actual relationship.
I would appreciate pointers on documentation and how to attack a problem in
Deltawerken.

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Intrader,

you write:
>I have installed Deltawerken on Pharo 1.3 and Seaside 3.0.6. Seems to be all
>there. I would like to see some documentation for Deltawerken (not related to
>the ocean containment in Netherlands!).

Thanks for taking a look. We'll write some posts on how to do things with
Deltawerken, and where we expect it to go. In retrospect, we should have
published much earlier. Feedback is king.

>I have red several ariticles on Naked
>objects, but do far do not see the actual relationship.

That is not in Deltawerken. There are just a few methods left, e.g.:
SBUser>>addProjectAction,  noTitle, noCollectionTitle, noIconSymbol, noIconUrl

>I would appreciate pointers on documentation and how to attack a problem in
>Deltawerken.

See post. Any specific questions? There is a lot to write, and we can change
priorities.

Diego & Stephan

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

Intrader Intrader
Stephan Eggermont <stephan <at> stack.nl> writes:

I like to start with the basics. What is the basic architecture of
a DeltaWerken application. I can see in the configuration what is the
starting class, but other than that it is hard.
What are the widgets that use AJAX?
In my applications I see a lot of use of announcements, specially in
dependent widgets; one scenario, a 'loanType' widget, when it changes,
the tab changes. Within the tab a slider receives a range according to
the loantype, according to the loantype a listbox of possible loans is
displayed. According to the slider one or more loans in the multiselection
loan list are default chosen. Changes to the loan selected change the
position in the slider, and that of interest information list-only text
fields.

Thanks

Re: [Ann] Deltawerken & Storyboard

DiegoLont

On Sep 15, 2012, at 11:10 PM, intrader wrote:

> Stephan Eggermont <stephan <at> stack.nl> writes:
>
> I like to start with the basics. What is the basic architecture of
> a DeltaWerken application. I can see in the configuration what is the
> starting class, but other than that it is hard.
> What are the widgets that use AJAX?
The widgets switch to AJAX, if you have an updater. An updater is automatically created if you have a validator. This may be an empty validator. The idea is that the widgets only use AJAX if they need to.

> In my applications I see a lot of use of announcements, specially in
> dependent widgets; one scenario, a 'loanType' widget, when it changes,
> the tab changes. Within the tab a slider receives a range according to
> the loantype, according to the loantype a listbox of possible loans is
> displayed. According to the slider one or more loans in the multiselection
> loan list are default chosen. Changes to the loan selected change the
> position in the slider, and that of interest information list-only text
> fields.
I believe in StoryBoard there are no examples of this, but you can set updater of a Field. This allows you to redraw a larger part of your page. The provided updater (DEUpdater), allows you to set an id and an updateBlock.

In another application (commercial, so no code example) we have made a Field that dependent on the value, showed one or more other fields. I will try to add this "ConditionalFieldList"  to the framework this week. I have to check if this still works.

I hope this will help. Also we will continue on our "introduction mails" to Deltawerken._______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Diego Lont <diego.lont <at> delware.nl> writes:

> In another application (commercial, so no code example) we have made a Field
that dependent on the value,
> showed one or more other fields. I will try to add this "ConditionalFieldList"
 to the framework this week.
> I have to check if this still works.
>
> I hope this will help. Also we will continue on our "introduction mails" to
Deltawerken.

Great work, and I hope to see this.

On Sep 17, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Diego Lont wrote:

In another application (commercial, so no code example) we have made a Field that dependent on the value, showed one or more other fields. I will try to add this "ConditionalFieldList"  to the framework this week. I have to check if this still works.

Hi All,

It took a bit more time than expected, but finally I got around to adding this Field to Deltawerken with an example. I used Parasol to add some tests, but I guess these should be more extensive.

I have now added a project called "DeltaWeb" to the Deltawerken repository, that demo's the functionality of this field. Some remarks to understand this field a bit better.

In order to have a choice field that "auto" updates itself and generates a list of fields that depends on the state we have modified the following things: