[Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Guillermo Polito

Time for the weekly Iceberg update.
Thanks to all brave users, issue reporters and contributors :).

Key changes: we have introduced some tag support, a new credential manager to manage keys and passwords per host or repository, a new version of tonel, and made a first step towards a simplified contribution to Iceberg by listing it as Pharo's repository.

Enjoy,
Guille in behalf of all Iceberg contributors

Following, the detailed changes log.

New Features
#842 Adding Credentials Store
#843 Update Tonel to 1.0.7
#823 Iceberg repository should be listed as Pharo's one
#841 Basic tag support (#372)

Infrastructure
#787 Add Windows ci with Appveyor (not yet green!)

Enhancements
#827 Add package dialog has some glitches
#833 replace #asIcon with #iconNamed:
#832 Move Iceberg from MostUsedTools to Tools
#830 Better handling of not github remote urls
#825 Enhance Migrate to tonel commit message
#637 Show tag version instead of "Detached HEAD"
#829 migrate-versions-browser

Bug Fixes
#835 Compare file definitions by their binary uninterpreted content
#838 Clone from incorrect github repository fails with DNU
#826 Pushing to virgin repository raises a DNU

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

hernanmd
Hi Guille,

Thank you for the update.
Can this be installed in Pharo 6.1? How?
It was tested on Windows?

Cheers,

Hernán

> Time for the weekly Iceberg update.
> Thanks to all brave users, issue reporters and contributors :).
>
> Key changes: we have introduced some tag support, a new credential manager
> to manage keys and passwords per host or repository, a new version of tonel,
> and made a first step towards a simplified contribution to Iceberg by
> listing it as Pharo's repository.
>
> Enjoy,
> Guille in behalf of all Iceberg contributors
>
> Following, the detailed changes log.
>
> New Features
> #842 Adding Credentials Store
> #843 Update Tonel to 1.0.7
> #823 Iceberg repository should be listed as Pharo's one
> #841 Basic tag support (#372)
>
> Infrastructure
> #787 Add Windows ci with Appveyor (not yet green!)
>
> Enhancements
> #827 Add package dialog has some glitches
> #833 replace #asIcon with #iconNamed:
> #832 Move Iceberg from MostUsedTools to Tools
> #830 Better handling of not github remote urls
> #825 Enhance Migrate to tonel commit message
> #637 Show tag version instead of "Detached HEAD"
> #829 migrate-versions-browser
>
> Bug Fixes
> #835 Compare file definitions by their binary uninterpreted content
> #838 Clone from incorrect github repository fails with DNU
> #826 Pushing to virgin repository raises a DNU

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Peter Uhnak
tag support, a new credential manager to manage keys and passwords per host or repository

Thank you! I'm looking forward to playing with this next week. (and reporting issues :))

Peter

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guille,

Thank you for the update.
Can this be installed in Pharo 6.1? How?
It was tested on Windows?

Cheers,

Hernán

> Time for the weekly Iceberg update.
> Thanks to all brave users, issue reporters and contributors :).
>
> Key changes: we have introduced some tag support, a new credential manager
> to manage keys and passwords per host or repository, a new version of tonel,
> and made a first step towards a simplified contribution to Iceberg by
> listing it as Pharo's repository.
>
> Enjoy,
> Guille in behalf of all Iceberg contributors
>
> Following, the detailed changes log.
>
> New Features
> #842 Adding Credentials Store
> #843 Update Tonel to 1.0.7
> #823 Iceberg repository should be listed as Pharo's one
> #841 Basic tag support (#372)
>
> Infrastructure
> #787 Add Windows ci with Appveyor (not yet green!)
>
> Enhancements
> #827 Add package dialog has some glitches
> #833 replace #asIcon with #iconNamed:
> #832 Move Iceberg from MostUsedTools to Tools
> #830 Better handling of not github remote urls
> #825 Enhance Migrate to tonel commit message
> #637 Show tag version instead of "Detached HEAD"
> #829 migrate-versions-browser
>
> Bug Fixes
> #835 Compare file definitions by their binary uninterpreted content
> #838 Clone from incorrect github repository fails with DNU
> #826 Pushing to virgin repository raises a DNU

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guille,

Thank you for the update.
Can this be installed in Pharo 6.1? How?

This is already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 (I recommend to do it in a clean image), you can follow the instructions in the README

Those instructions will unload iceberg and install the latest 1.* version

It was tested on Windows?

I did not do it personally, but I know Cyril is using it in windows successfully for a couple of months already.
He's even using it to contribute to Pharo and Iceberg itself from windows.

I'd like to have the tests running on windows, but for that we need OSSubprocess running on windows... (Or maybe depending on ProcessWrapper is a compromise solution?). If someone would like to help on that front, making use of ProcessWrapper in the tests should not be difficult (it was done before but that code rot because of the lack of CI in the past...)

Cheers,

Hernán

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Tim Mackinnon
Hi I’m a bit confused by what is described below - when it says "This is already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 ….” - does that mean its already in the latest Pharo 7 (emphasis on 7?) build (and I can see it in Pharo 7) - but the latest 6.1 build doesn’t have it and you must follow the steps you described?

I initially read it to mean that new Pharo 6.1 builds would automatically get it - but that doesn’t seem to be the case?

Tim

On 11 Jun 2018, at 22:04, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guille,

Thank you for the update.
Can this be installed in Pharo 6.1? How?

This is already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 (I recommend to do it in a clean image), you can follow the instructions in the README

Those instructions will unload iceberg and install the latest 1.* version

It was tested on Windows?

I did not do it personally, but I know Cyril is using it in windows successfully for a couple of months already.
He's even using it to contribute to Pharo and Iceberg itself from windows.

I'd like to have the tests running on windows, but for that we need OSSubprocess running on windows... (Or maybe depending on ProcessWrapper is a compromise solution?). If someone would like to help on that front, making use of ProcessWrapper in the tests should not be difficult (it was done before but that code rot because of the lack of CI in the past...)

Cheers,

Hernán

> Time for the weekly Iceberg update.
> Thanks to all brave users, issue reporters and contributors :).
>
> Key changes: we have introduced some tag support, a new credential manager
> to manage keys and passwords per host or repository, a new version of tonel,
> and made a first step towards a simplified contribution to Iceberg by
> listing it as Pharo's repository.
>
> Enjoy,
> Guille in behalf of all Iceberg contributors
>
> Following, the detailed changes log.
>
> New Features
> #842 Adding Credentials Store
> #843 Update Tonel to 1.0.7
> #823 Iceberg repository should be listed as Pharo's one
> #841 Basic tag support (#372)
>
> Infrastructure
> #787 Add Windows ci with Appveyor (not yet green!)
>
> Enhancements
> #827 Add package dialog has some glitches
> #833 replace #asIcon with #iconNamed:
> #832 Move Iceberg from MostUsedTools to Tools
> #830 Better handling of not github remote urls
> #825 Enhance Migrate to tonel commit message
> #637 Show tag version instead of "Detached HEAD"
> #829 migrate-versions-browser
>
> Bug Fixes
> #835 Compare file definitions by their binary uninterpreted content
> #838 Clone from incorrect github repository fails with DNU
> #826 Pushing to virgin repository raises a DNU

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

CyrilFerlicot
On 13/06/2018 12:57, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi I’m a bit confused by what is described below - when it says "This is
> already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 ….”
> - does that mean its already in the latest Pharo 7 (emphasis on 7?)
> build (and I can see it in Pharo 7) - but the latest 6.1 build doesn’t
> have it and you must follow the steps you described?

Hi!

Each time an Iceberg stable version is released, it is integrated to
Pharo 7. (Usually, it's available the next day the time to do the PR,
test it, integrate it and build the new version)

Pharo 6.1 is still at the v0.6 of Iceberg. IIUC, thi is mostly because
the new UI depends on a lot of changes from Pharo 7 and backporting it
would mean backport too many changes. The goal is to keep Pharo 6.1 as
stable as possible.

So the steps to update yourself Iceberg to v1.? is for Pharo 6 only.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Guillermo Polito

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/06/2018 12:57, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi I’m a bit confused by what is described below - when it says "This is
> already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 ….”
> - does that mean its already in the latest Pharo 7 (emphasis on 7?)
> build (and I can see it in Pharo 7) - but the latest 6.1 build doesn’t
> have it and you must follow the steps you described?

Hi!

Each time an Iceberg stable version is released, it is integrated to
Pharo 7. (Usually, it's available the next day the time to do the PR,
test it, integrate it and build the new version)

Pharo 6.1 is still at the v0.6 of Iceberg. IIUC, thi is mostly because
the new UI depends on a lot of changes from Pharo 7 and backporting it
would mean backport too many changes. The goal is to keep Pharo 6.1 as
stable as possible.

Actually, the main reason is that Metacello integration has some different semantics that would bother people relying on the current behaviour.
Ideally, we would like to have a Pharo6.2, but that means a lot of work infrastructure-wise (build servers, file server, zeroconf...).

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Tim Mackinnon
I have installed it fine now - I think the message is less ambiguous if the latest Pharo, is called the “latest Pharo 7” - thats where my confusion was.

Is it worth reporting any bugs with this version in 6.1? I got an error dialog that was telling me about the project I was trying to load already existing on my disk - however the window is too small and so you don’t see that there is a Debug/Ignore button way off to the right (you have to stretch the dialog to see them).

I also wonder if we are trying to be too clever with how you specify a Gitlab/Github project - both those sites have a little button you click to copy the full url of the project you want to clone - we are now asking people to not use that, but instead to copy the name of the project (which is typically the title Text above that url and copy button). This is very different from how every tool I use works and is a bit confusing.

Tim

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 12:13, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13/06/2018 12:57, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>> Hi I’m a bit confused by what is described below - when it says "This is
>> already in latest Pharo build. If you want to try it in a Pharo 6.1 ….”
>> - does that mean its already in the latest Pharo 7 (emphasis on 7?)
>> build (and I can see it in Pharo 7) - but the latest 6.1 build doesn’t
>> have it and you must follow the steps you described?
>>

> Hi!
>
> Each time an Iceberg stable version is released, it is integrated to
> Pharo 7. (Usually, it's available the next day the time to do the PR,
> test it, integrate it and build the new version)
>
> Pharo 6.1 is still at the v0.6 of Iceberg. IIUC, thi is mostly because
> the new UI depends on a lot of changes from Pharo 7 and backporting it
> would mean backport too many changes. The goal is to keep Pharo 6.1 as
> stable as possible.
>
> So the steps to update yourself Iceberg to v1.? is for Pharo 6 only.
>
>> I initially read it to mean that new Pharo 6.1 builds would
>> automatically get it - but that doesn’t seem to be the case?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Guillermo Polito

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have installed it fine now - I think the message is less ambiguous if the latest Pharo, is called the “latest Pharo 7” - thats where my confusion was.

Is it worth reporting any bugs with this version in 6.1? I got an error dialog that was telling me about the project I was trying to load already existing on my disk - however the window is too small and so you don’t see that there is a Debug/Ignore button way off to the right (you have to stretch the dialog to see them).

Nope, that version is not maintained anymore...

I also wonder if we are trying to be too clever with how you specify a Gitlab/Github project - both those sites have a little button you click to copy the full url of the project you want to clone - we are now asking people to not use that, but instead to copy the name of the project (which is typically the title Text above that url and copy button). This is very different from how every tool I use works and is a bit confusing.

Maybe... but for that you have the last option "Clone remote repository" that allows you to just paste a url.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Guillermo Polito wrote
>> I also wonder if we are trying to be too clever with how you specify a
>> Gitlab/Github project
>
> Maybe... but for that you have the last option "Clone remote repository"
> that allows you to just paste a url.

This issue has come up a few times already. Does anyone have a use case for
the custom Gitlab/Github forms? If not, maybe it would be simpler for
everyone to remove them and use the generic one…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

EstebanLM
hi,

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 14:23, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Guillermo Polito wrote
>>> I also wonder if we are trying to be too clever with how you specify a
>>> Gitlab/Github project
>>
>> Maybe... but for that you have the last option "Clone remote repository"
>> that allows you to just paste a url.
>
> This issue has come up a few times already. Does anyone have a use case for
> the custom Gitlab/Github forms? If not, maybe it would be simpler for
> everyone to remove them and use the generic one…

- before this, people complained in the other way
- you do not always go to github and copy the url, sometimes you want to clone without putting the url (and you *know* the user and project you want to clone)

So, I will not remove them.
But, we could order differently (for example, offering first the generic git url).

cheers!
Esteban

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> - before this, people complained in the other way
> So, I will not remove them.

Ha ha, okay.

EstebanLM wrote
> - you do not always go to github and copy the url, sometimes you want to
> clone without putting the url (and you *know* the user and project you
> want to clone)

IIUC this is however the way people coming from the git world are used to
working (because they usually don't have awesome GUI tools/environments like
we do :) )

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Ann] Iceberg v1.1.0

CyrilFerlicot
Le 13/06/2018 à 22:58, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
> Ha ha, okay.
>

> IIUC this is however the way people coming from the git world are used to
> working (because they usually don't have awesome GUI tools/environments like
> we do :) )

I think it really depend on the IDE or tool you use.

For example while I was coding in Java for the university I used
Gitkraken and I never had to copy paste the URL because it has a great
github/bitbucket/gitlab integration. If you connect your account it
directly display the list of repo you own you and your organisations.
Also when you want to add a remote it display the list of all the fork
on the host.