[Ann] Ludus is alive and kicking

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

Thanks to the efforts by Philippe and Hannes, we've resurrected Ludus from the land of the obsolete software!

Yesterday I took a long look at the old code, fixed some bugs, implemented some new functionalities, refactored some more and wrote a new example game, still unfinished.

You can take a look at some examples and documentation in the project page, which is of course still a work in progress (I particularly don't like the page too much) and the github repo.

If you have ideas for simple games that can be implemented in tops two days, please do share them with us. Or better still, go ahead and code them! For comparison, the sokoban example took around two weeks, and the pong example took just about an hour.

Short-term plans include polishing and completing the documentation, revamping the project page, implementing a couple new example games and writing an interactive tutorial that teaches how to code a game from scratch, probably based on my old screencast for the mozilla festival.

Long-term plans are ambitious, and include making the game coding experience more real-time and enabling mobile development (work on your PC, see the result live in your mobile device).

I'm really excited that we can at last code modern games in Smalltalk. I've tested Ludus in some mobile devices and it works like a charm, kudos to the Amber devs for that!

So, if you find the project interesting, please contribute! :)

Best,
Bernat.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [Ann] Ludus is alive and kicking

sebastianconcept
That’s quite heroic from your part guys. Fantastic!

In relation to ideas of simple games, what come to my mind was 2048.

I don’t even like it but it become very popular on HackerNews more than once even…

and with a catchy title we might bite some attention, example:

2048 Smalltalk html5 implementation

I should sprinkle some love to Amber, Ludus and Smalltalk all from one effort

Playing the game and see and change the code while playing should provide a nice impression

But think of it as a campaign..

I’d pay a lot of attention to site and code aesthetics

Probably get feedback and blessing from some designers friends first

Guys, your efforts are making great things possible!

Thank you for that!

On May 7, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Good idea, I may implement it soon :)

I don’t even like it but it become very popular on HackerNews more than once even…

and with a catchy title we might bite some attention, example:

2048 Smalltalk html5 implementation

I should sprinkle some love to Amber, Ludus and Smalltalk all from one effort

Playing the game and see and change the code while playing should provide a nice impression

But think of it as a campaign..

I’d pay a lot of attention to site and code aesthetics

I know, the site is horrible... it needs to be completely redone from scratch. The only thing I like is the logo.

I was playing with the idea of the project site being a Ludus game. It'd be nice for making a point (it's so easy making games in Ludus we prefer writing a game than a website), but it may make the navigation experience a bit awkward, not sure.

[...]

I thought about that once. Ludum Dare has grown huge now though, and I don't think we'd be even noticed among the thousands of games that are submitted in a weekend. However, as an exercise it's a really cool idea. I may think about entering the October edition.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
That’s quite heroic from your part guys. Fantastic!

In relation to ideas of simple games, what come to my mind was 2048.

Good idea, I may implement it soon :)

I don’t even like it but it become very popular on HackerNews more than once even…

and with a catchy title we might bite some attention, example:

2048 Smalltalk html5 implementation

I should sprinkle some love to Amber, Ludus and Smalltalk all from one effort

Playing the game and see and change the code while playing should provide a nice impression

But think of it as a campaign..

I’d pay a lot of attention to site and code aesthetics

I know, the site is horrible... it needs to be completely redone from scratch. The only thing I like is the logo.

Egyptian sand  makes it look archaeological in nature. Not really the best for cutting edge.

One nice little site is http://flixel.org/

The http://flixel.org/help.html section is quite nice.

When it comes to games I like http://monkeyCoder.co.nz and the apps people do. Check this one: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8407&app_id=313

I was playing with the idea of the project site being a Ludus game. It'd be nice for making a point (it's so easy making games in Ludus we prefer writing a game than a website), but it may make the navigation experience a bit awkward, not sure.

I tried the games on my Android mobe yesterday but it didn't registered the touches properly. So, Game instead of site must be tested for touch before going there.

[...]

Yeah, I agree.

I like the logo though, it's a vector tracing of a very ancient Roman gaming die. The idea came from the fact that Amber plays with bringing "prehistoric" Smalltalk to the modern world (hence the mosquito trapped in amber). Game development is still very much done like computers were from the Roman age. Change a pixel value, recompile, relaunch, see the result. Total time for checking how a sprite looks like a pixel more to the right: about 2 minutes. This sucks, and the purpose of Amber is to bring game coding to the modern world too.

I don't know how to phrase this and make it sound cutting-edge, but I hope you get the idea. That's also why I chose a Latin word for the framework.

One nice little site is http://flixel.org/

The http://flixel.org/help.html section is quite nice.

When it comes to games I like http://monkeyCoder.co.nz and the apps people do. Check this one: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8407&app_id=313

I was playing with the idea of the project site being a Ludus game. It'd be nice for making a point (it's so easy making games in Ludus we prefer writing a game than a website), but it may make the navigation experience a bit awkward, not sure.

I tried the games on my Android mobe yesterday but it didn't registered the touches properly. So, Game instead of site must be tested for touch before going there.

Yes, I detected a nasty mouse position bug yesterday. I hope I'll fix it today.

[...]

Nice one, thanks! :)

I managed to include Ludus as a project in my specialization, so I'm working real hard on it now.

Best,
Bernat.