[Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

12

[Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

demarey
Hi all,

I just released a new version of the PharoLauncher 1.0.1.
Here are major improvements since last version:
  • Pharo launcher is now distributed with a Pharo 60 image with a 32-bits threaded VM (to avoid hangs when using OSProcess).
  • Add a VM management utility able to find (and download) the appropriate VM for a given image. So, the launcher is NOT shipped anymore with an extra VM. It will fetch required VM when needed.
  • Pharo Launcher files (images, VMs) are now considered as user Documents (easier to find). Consequently, they are now stored in the standard documents folder, i.e.
    • $HOME/Documents/Pharo on OS X,
    • $HOME/My Documents/Pharo on windows,
    • $HOME/Pharo on Linux (some linux distributions provide a document folder but some others not, so we put it in the HOME directory in all cases).
    • In this folder, you will find your images and virtual machines needed to run images.
  • Use of ProcessWrapper to run images on Windows.
  • Adds download of sources file for Pharo images > 60.
  • Left panel is now used for official images and Jenkins jobs templates and right panel is used for local images.
  • New mooc entry with the image ready to start the Pharo Mooc.
  • New deprecated category to find old official Pharo images.
  • Use system unzip when possible (Pharo unzip does not manage file permissions nor symbolic links).
You can get platform bundles from files.pharo.org:

Enjoy,
Christophe.

For those wanted more info on how the adequate VM is computed, here is the process:
  1. determine the image format version
  2. find (and optionnaly fetch) a compatible VM (a VM able to run this image format) and run the image to get its Pharo version number
  3. find (and optionnaly fetch) the appropriate VM for this specific Pharo image version. Sources files are also downloaded with the VM when applicable.
  4. run the image with the appropriate VM

kmo

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

kmo
This is great. Absolutely love it.

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

gcotelli
I've tried it on Linux, and after the download has finished it cannot launch a Pharo 6.1 image. Find attached the PharoDebug.log

Seems it's searching for the sources file in a wrong location.
Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /home/gcotelli/Pharo/pharo-launcher/bin/lib/pharo/5.0-201707201942/PharoV60.sources.

Let me know if you need more info.
Regards,
Gabriel

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

PharoDebug.log (37K) Download Attachment

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx Christophe
We should add a new page on Pharo.org about the launcher.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just released a new version of the PharoLauncher 1.0.1.
> Here are major improvements since last version:
>
> Pharo launcher is now distributed with a Pharo 60 image with a 32-bits
> threaded VM (to avoid hangs when using OSProcess).
> Add a VM management utility able to find (and download) the appropriate VM
> for a given image. So, the launcher is NOT shipped anymore with an extra VM.
> It will fetch required VM when needed.
> Pharo Launcher files (images, VMs) are now considered as user Documents
> (easier to find). Consequently, they are now stored in the standard
> documents folder, i.e.
>
> $HOME/Documents/Pharo on OS X,
> $HOME/My Documents/Pharo on windows,
> $HOME/Pharo on Linux (some linux distributions provide a document folder but
> some others not, so we put it in the HOME directory in all cases).
> In this folder, you will find your images and virtual machines needed to run
> images.
>
> Use of ProcessWrapper to run images on Windows.
> Adds download of sources file for Pharo images > 60.
> Left panel is now used for official images and Jenkins jobs templates and
> right panel is used for local images.
> New mooc entry with the image ready to start the Pharo Mooc.
> New deprecated category to find old official Pharo images.
> Use system unzip when possible (Pharo unzip does not manage file permissions
> nor symbolic links).
>
> You can get platform bundles from files.pharo.org:
>
> Os X: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_1.0.1.dmg
> Windows: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-1.0.1.exe
> Linux: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo-linux-1.0.1.zip
>

> Enjoy,
> Christophe.
>
> For those wanted more info on how the adequate VM is computed, here is the
> process:
>
> determine the image format version
> find (and optionnaly fetch) a compatible VM (a VM able to run this image
> format) and run the image to get its Pharo version number
> find (and optionnaly fetch) the appropriate VM for this specific Pharo image
> version. Sources files are also downloaded with the VM when applicable.
> run the image with the appropriate VM

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> Tx Christophe

+100. Launcher has become indispensable!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Peter Uhnak
+1.0.1 :-)

> Pharo Launcher files (images, VMs) are now considered as user Documents (easier to find). Consequently, they are now stored in the standard documents folder, i.e.
$HOME/Pharo

This seems like a step backwards. The expected location is $XDG_DATA_HOME/Pharo . Is it possible to change or configure this?

Peter

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote

Sean

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

demarey
Hi Gabriel,

Le 6 oct. 2017 à 15:48, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I've tried it on Linux, and after the download has finished it cannot launch a Pharo 6.1 image. Find attached the PharoDebug.log

Seems it's searching for the sources file in a wrong location.
Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /home/gcotelli/Pharo/pharo-launcher/bin/lib/pharo/5.0-201707201942/PharoV60.sources.

Strange indeed!
I’m not able to reproduce it on my ubuntu vm.

It’s surprising that sources file is search in the folder of the VM shipped with the launcher. Images are run with VM downloaded in the VM store ($HOME/Pharo/vms) and sources file is search in the vm directory.
Could you tell me if you run the launcher from a terminal? Could you send me your environment variables to see if I can find something relevant there?

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

gcotelli
I've tried running it from the terminal and it works!.

If I double-click it from the file manager and choose "Run in Terminal" it gives the previously commented error.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolai Hess-3-2
Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it into the default "program" folder).
On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not have the permission to do so.
You need to start it with admin-rights.

[...]

Starting images for different vms works great.
No more need to manually fight with downloading vms or source files :)
Great!

[...]

+ 1000 :)

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it
>> into the default "program" folder).
>> On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not
>> have the permission to do so.
>> You need to start it with admin-rights.
>

> Starting images for different vms works great.
> No more need to manually fight with downloading vms or source files :)
> Great!

>>> I've tried running it from the terminal and it works!.
>>>
>>> If I double-click it from the file manager and choose "Run in Terminal"
>>> it gives the previously commented error.

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

demarey
Hi Nicolai,

> Le 7 oct. 2017 à 09:38, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it into the default "program" folder).
> On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not have the permission to do so.
> You need to start it with admin-rights.

A Pharo image needs write permission in the image folder to store image sessions (epicea) as well as other image data (package cache, play-cache, changes file, etc.)
Maybe we should disable Epicea and it could work in a read only environment?

For now, either you can start it with admin rights or you install Pharo Launcher in a user folder.

Regards,
Christophe

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Ben Coman

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it into the default "program" folder).
On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not have the permission to do so.
You need to start it with admin-rights.

Why are we making it harder for Windows users in corporate environments by requiring them to have admin-rights they often won't have, while in Linux PharoLancher is installed into user folders?

Also there is the UAC Virtualization fiasco that complicates installing upgrades.

Could we *please* install Windows PharoLauncher into user folders?
What reason is there not to?

cheers -ben

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

Le 6 oct. 2017 à 15:48, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I've tried it on Linux, and after the download has finished it cannot launch a Pharo 6.1 image. Find attached the PharoDebug.log

Seems it's searching for the sources file in a wrong location.
Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /home/gcotelli/Pharo/pharo-launcher/bin/lib/pharo/5.0-201707201942/PharoV60.sources.
I have wondered for a while if sources files should searched for up the directory hierarchy looking for a "/sources" folder to minimize the number of copies needed.

cheers -ben

Le 7 oct. 2017 à 14:26, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it into the default "program" folder).
On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not have the permission to do so.
You need to start it with admin-rights.

Why are we making it harder for Windows users in corporate environments by requiring them to have admin-rights they often won't have, while in Linux PharoLancher is installed into user folders?

« Program » folder is the default location where to install apps on Windows.
If a user does not have admin rights, he can simply install it under its home directory.

Also there is the UAC Virtualization fiasco that complicates installing upgrades.

Could we *please* install Windows PharoLauncher into user folders?

Users can choose to install Pharo Launcher where they wish.
We could choose another default location but not sure it is best option.

To me, the real problem is: why does Pharo apps (and Pharo Launcher) needs to write data in the application directory? By example, for Pharo Launcher, we do not need to load any code nor to backup sessions.

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

demarey
Hi Peter,

Le 6 oct. 2017 à 21:13, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> a écrit :

+1.0.1 :-)

> Pharo Launcher files (images, VMs) are now considered as user Documents (easier to find). Consequently, they are now stored in the standard documents folder, i.e.
$HOME/Pharo

This seems like a step backwards. The expected location is $XDG_DATA_HOME/Pharo . Is it possible to change or configure this?

We decide to consider Pharo Launcher files (virtual machines, images) as user documents. That’s why we changed the location of these files on all platforms.
$XDG_DATA_HOME/Pharo is not a document location on linux and there is no standard Documents location. That’s why we ended to put Pharo Launcher files in a Pharo folder in the HOME directory.
Maybe it is not the best choice.

If we can find an agreement on the best Pharo Launcher documents location on Linux, it can be changed.

You can already configure where you want to store Pharo Launcher images and vms (2 different settings).

Christophe

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

EstebanLM

On 9 Oct 2017, at 10:10, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Peter,

Le 6 oct. 2017 à 21:13, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> a écrit :

+1.0.1 :-)

> Pharo Launcher files (images, VMs) are now considered as user Documents (easier to find). Consequently, they are now stored in the standard documents folder, i.e.
$HOME/Pharo

This seems like a step backwards. The expected location is $XDG_DATA_HOME/Pharo . Is it possible to change or configure this?

why a step backwards?
Pharo images are not *data* in the sense is intended for XDG_DATA_HOME.
In practice, an image is more like a document Pharo can read data files are configurations, etc. an app needs to work properly in the local environment.
Pharo images instead, are modifiable/editable/whatever euphemism you want thats why we considered more like VMWare considers their Virtual Machines, then they belong to some place in the home directory that is of easy access.

We decide to consider Pharo Launcher files (virtual machines, images) as user documents. That’s why we changed the location of these files on all platforms.
$XDG_DATA_HOME/Pharo is not a document location on linux and there is no standard Documents location. That’s why we ended to put Pharo Launcher files in a Pharo folder in the HOME directory.

yeah, this.

Maybe it is not the best choice.

I like that choice :)

If we can find an agreement on the best Pharo Launcher documents location on Linux, it can be changed.

You can already configure where you want to store Pharo Launcher images and vms (2 different settings).

yeah… you can always customise your own working set.

Esteban

Christophe

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

demarey

> Le 6 oct. 2017 à 22:43, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I've tried running it from the terminal and it works!.
>
> If I double-click it from the file manager and choose "Run in Terminal" it gives the previously commented error.

I fear I cannot do much for this problem.
I tried on ubuntu and fedora to run but I have no way to run this exe directly. I have no menu « Run in terminal » .
I was only able to create a launcher file (pharo.desktop). Then, by double-clicking on this launcher file, I was able to run the launcher and a pharo 6.1 image without error.
Maybe the best would be to use a launcher file (exemple as attachment).

Regards,
Christophe

pharo.launcher (269 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Peter Uhnak
why a step backwards?
Pharo images are not *data* in the sense is intended for XDG_DATA_HOME.
In practice, an image is more like a document Pharo can read data files are configurations, etc. an app needs to work properly in the local environment.
Pharo images instead, are modifiable/editable/whatever euphemism you want thats why we considered more like VMWare considers their Virtual Machines, then they belong to some place in the home directory that is of easy access.

I guess I hate when applications are throwing their garbage into my $HOME (this also goes for VirtualBox, Eclipse, and everyone else).
If I am not accessing the files directly, but they are pretty much always managed by some other applications, then for me they are polluting $HOME. (And yes, I sometimes do launch to image by hand, or manipulate VirtualBox by hand, but that doesn't change the fact that it is not the primary way to work with it.)

But no worries, I rest my case and I patch it for myself. (So no need to add configuration for this either.)

Peter

Re: [Ann] PharoLauncher v1.0.1 released!

Vitor Medina Cruz
« Program » folder is the default location where to install apps on Windows.
If a user does not have admin rights, he can simply install it under its home directory.

Also there is the UAC Virtualization fiasco that complicates installing upgrades.

Could we *please* install Windows PharoLauncher into user folders?

Users can choose to install Pharo Launcher where they wish.
We could choose another default location but not sure it is best option.

Nope, I don’t have any option of changing Pharo launcher installation. I double click the exe and receive a message telling me I need administrative rights. Can this be changed? It’s a deal breaker for those using Windows.

Peter