[Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

[Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
 Hi

with Damien Pollet, we went over all the booklets and some of the
Pharo books currently written in Pillar and made sure that each time
you commit

- a travis job is run
- latex is produced as well as pdf
- the pdf is stored on bintray
- the release versions are stored on the github repo (I should verify)

So now you can just do a PR and you get a super nice PDF.

Have a look at Glorp or Voyage for example

- https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Glorp
- https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Voyage

You can access the bintray files from the squarebracketassociates
lovely binTray account :)

https://bintray.com/squarebracketassociates/wip/download_file?file_path=voyage-wip.pdf

I'm writing a doc of the process so that other people can do it for
their private projects.

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

SergeStinckwich
This is great Stef !
I'm waiting for the documentation to update all my projects with the new process.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Damien Pollet

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Peter Uhnak
A problem I anticipate is that since we only keep the latest build,

how did you manage that? :-o

When I was using bintray we had trouble that we could only store every commit; so I guess I am interested to see what your process is. :-)

Peter

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Damien we are not targeting the perfect solution.
Just a good one that works for 80% of the case.
You commit in master and you get the pdf, else install latex on your machine.
We should focus on real improvement.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A problem I anticipate is that since we only keep the latest build, the PDF
> will only match master or any pull request until the next commit/build (I
> don't like storing stuff for each and every commit). But maybe that could be
> fixed by naming the PDF according to their originating branch…
>
> On 25 August 2017 at 20:11, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +100 :)
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 5:45 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi
>>>
>>> with Damien Pollet, we went over all the booklets and some of the
>>> Pharo books currently written in Pillar and made sure that each time
>>> you commit
>>>
>>> - a travis job is run
>>> - latex is produced as well as pdf
>>> - the pdf is stored on bintray
>>> - the release versions are stored on the github repo (I should verify)
>>>
>>> So now you can just do a PR and you get a super nice PDF.
>>>
>>> Have a look at Glorp or Voyage for example
>>>
>>> - https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Glorp
>>> - https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Voyage
>>>
>>> You can access the bintray files from the squarebracketassociates
>>> lovely binTray account :)
>>>

>>> https://bintray.com/squarebracketassociates/wip/download_file?file_path=voyage-wip.pdf
>>>

>>> I'm writing a doc of the process so that other people can do it for
>>> their private projects.
>>>

>>> Stef
>>>

> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi peter

have a look at the .bintray.json of booklet-Smacc for example. I
updated them all.

Stef

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:31 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> A problem I anticipate is that since we only keep the latest build,
>
> how did you manage that? :-o
>
> When I was using bintray we had trouble that we could only store every
> commit; so I guess I am interested to see what your process is. :-)
>
> Peter
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> A problem I anticipate is that since we only keep the latest build, the
>> PDF will only match master or any pull request until the next commit/build
>> (I don't like storing stuff for each and every commit). But maybe that could
>> be fixed by naming the PDF according to their originating branch…
>>
>> On 25 August 2017 at 20:11, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +100 :)

>> --
>> Damien Pollet
>> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
We are in the process to rewrote all the makefile to push as much as
logic to Pharo
- to avoid to have to duplicate between pillar.conf and makefile
- to make sure that slowly we can get rid of make
Luc did a successful makefile generator from pillar.conf and I should
check what he did.

For now I have migrated most of the booklets and books (I have problem
with the tinyBlogTutorial but it fails when I clone it)
to work with a first version of the makefile using pillar itself to
extract information from the pillar.conf.

Tuesday we will
- adapt the makefile to make them better (the problem is to install
pillar first then run the make so you cannot use make to down pillar
as damien proposed in June makefile.
- check what luc did and see how we can use that.

But I wanted to have a milestone in the middle of our migration.

On 25 August 2017 at 22:31, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
A problem I anticipate is that since we only keep the latest build,

how did you manage that? :-o

When I was using bintray we had trouble that we could only store every commit; so I guess I am interested to see what your process is. :-)

Simply uploading to always the same files to the same "latest" version, with the overwrite flag set.
This overwrite feature is not provided by the Travis deployer for Github releases, which is what I would prefer to use (it should be possible through their REST API to detect/delete outdated releases and then deploy the new files).

Damien Pollet

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 25-08-17 16:42, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> I'm writing a doc of the process so that other people can do it for
> their private projects.

I know how to copy and rename an existing project, and put that on
github. What else do I need to do? Register with bintray, register with
travis, generate keys in some way?

Stephan

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
!! How to render automatically your pillar file as pdf

We will use bintray to store the latest pdf and we will use github the
released pdf.

!!! Create an account in bintray
Create an account on bintray at https://bintray.com/
You may link it or not to your github account

!!! Obtain an encoded API key for BinTray

In your bintray profile get your API key (copy it to your copy paste buffer)

In your machine in the github folder

> travis login --auto
> travis encrypt Your API Key from bintray

You use the resulting key in your .travis.yml configuration file.

!!! Add and edit the .travis.yml file

Here is the .travis.yml of the Learning programming project
Not that the configuration also

sudo: required
services:
- docker

before_install:
- docker pull dpollet/texlive:pillar

script:
- docker run --tty --rm --volume $PWD:/work dpollet/texlive:pillar
make spiralbook

deploy:
- provider: bintray
  file: .bintray.json
  on:
    repo: SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo
  skip_cleanup: true
  user: ducasse
  key:
    secure: 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

!! Add and Edit the .bintray.json file

Here is the one of the
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo

more .bintray.json

[[[

{
    "package": {
        "name": "Loop",
        "repo": "wip",
        "subject": "squarebracketassociates",
        "desc": "Learning OOP with Pharo",
        "licenses": ["MIT"],
        "website_url":
"https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo",
        "issue_tracker_url":
"https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo/issues",
        "vcs_url":
"https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo.git",
        "labels": ["work-in-progress"]
    },

    "version": {
        "name": "latest",
        "desc": "Latest successful build"
    },

    "files": [
        {
            "includePattern": "build/(learningoop).pdf",
            "uploadPattern": "$1-wip.pdf",
            "matrixParams": { "override": 1 }
        }
    ],
    "publish": true
}

]]]

!! for Github integration

For a given checkout you should generate the associated token.

[[[
travis setup releases
]]]

Here is the full .travis.yml with the github integration

[[[

sudo: required
services:
- docker

before_install:
- docker pull dpollet/texlive:pillar

script:
- docker run --tty --rm --volume $PWD:/work dpollet/texlive:pillar
make spiralbook

deploy:
- provider: bintray
  file: .bintray.json
  on:
    repo: SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo
  skip_cleanup: true
  user: ducasse
  key:
    secure: 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
- provider: releases
  file: build/learningoop.pdf
  on:
    tags: true
  skip_cleanup: true
  api_key:
    secure: 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

]]]

!! How to add a new released file in your git hub account

To release a pdf that will be stored on github in the booklet repo we
should create a annotated tag.

[[[
git tag -a v1.0-Pharo50
git push --tags
]]]

travis encrypt 7dec59756c31e5e75e33fcfe0d0d435a0e04a02d

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:15 AM, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25-08-17 16:42, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> I'm writing a doc of the process so that other people can do it for
>> their private projects.
>

> I know how to copy and rename an existing project, and put that on github.
> What else do I need to do? Register with bintray, register with travis,
> generate keys in some way?
>
> Stephan

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
I added a pillar file into PharoInProgress

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/Bintray

Feel free to edit it and improve it.
I will make sure that it compiles after lunch.

Stef

On 14-09-17 19:10, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> I added a pillar file into PharoInProgress
>
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/Bintray
>
> Feel free to edit it and improve it.
> I will make sure that it compiles after lunch.

Super!

Stephan

Re: [Ann][Pillar] Travis -> Bintray for PDFs

Stephane Ducasse-3
here is a first pdf

Bintray.pdf (102K) Download Attachment