[Ann] Some new iceberg videos

Guillermo Polito
Hi all,

This time (just before releasing a new version of iceberg) I wanted to share some videos with you.
Feedback is welcome.

!! How to contribute to Iceberg

This video shows how to contribute to iceberg.
For this, you should update your iceberg installation and then just do a pull request.
This means that you need to start by forking https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg

- Path 1: Clone and pull (easy)
  - Clone your fork
  - Checkout the latest development branch (e.g., dev-0.7)
  - Pull from pharo-vcs/iceberg

  This path does not always work, as this is kind of self-brain surgery. Iceberg is updating itself.
  If this does not work, go to path 2

- Path 2: Install from scratch (if Path 1 does not work)
  - Use the script in the README file to unload and reinstall iceberg
  - Make sure you use the latest development branch in the Metacello script (e.g., dev-0.7)
  - Clone your fork and checkout the development branch

Once you have the correct version, you can load the tests by loading the development group of the baseline.

!! Basic Branching and Merging

This video shows in a simple example how to branch, merge and checkout different commits.
In this video we first create a new class with a method, then we create another branch and force a conflict. We resolve the conflict during merge.

In the middle, bonus feature, we checked out a commit and stayed in Detached HEAD for a while ;)

This video shows how to load a baseline from Iceberg's UI.
We clone an existing project, see it is "Not loaded" and use Metacello plugin to load the default group.

Enjoy,
Guille

PS: Tomorrow I'll answer the threads about Iceberg that were going around here in the mailing list. I was running today.

Re: [Ann] Some new iceberg videos

Tim Mackinnon
Guille - the text reads very well, I’ll try and look at the videos later. I just submitted a PR to pharo to try and get the contributions text pointing to the “newer way” so that people don’t get off track (like we did earlier this week).

(Aside: Its quite nice having these docs in GitHub as does make it easier to propose fixes that people can review and accept/comment on).

Presumably those how to contribute docs should then also link to the below, so you also realise how you can help with Iceberg as well? And possibly those videos might also be helpful on the more generic - how to contribute to pharo (in general).

By the way - this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0IgIT2s6Js&feature=youtu.be has a very low quality compare to the others. I think maybe a setting was wrong when it was uploaded?

Tim

On 23 May 2018, at 17:09, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Ann] Some new iceberg videos

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Thanks!