[Ann] Stack Android VM

Santiago Bragagnolo
   Still far from production. But since i would happy to have some feedback, I'm happy to show you some progress on the android VM. Not yet release. But we have already a way of compiling and deploying an image into an android device.

  You can check it in this repo github.

  The building steps are detailed on the README-Android.md file.

Building the Stack AndroidVM

  1. Download the sources from github

    git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/sbragagnolo/pharo-vm
    cd pharo-vm
  2. Set-up your environment: This script will download the SDK installer and NDK R10

    cd android/scripts
    ./setupAndroidEnvironment.st

    This script downloads the content from

    After this process you should have available the environment variables ANDROID_NDK_HOME and ANDROID_SDK_HOME. Ensure this by checking your .bashrc file at the user's home directory.

  3. Create a new image: this image will be created by pointing to this local git repository

    cd android/scripts
    ./newImage.st
  4. Link sources to the build folder: The Android vm relies on a Java wrapper. This sources must be accessible from the build folder.

    cd android/scripts
    ./linkSources.st
  5. Generate the sources of the stack vm: This script executes the generator of the image created on int the 3rd step.

    cd android/scripts
    ./generateStackAndroidMake.st
  6. Generate the resource image for deployment: This script download and suites up an image for deployment on the folder build/assets/SmalltalkRessources

    cd android/scripts
    ./newResourceImage.st

    This image created in this point is downloaded with it related VM for editing and loading the code you want to deploy, or configure the things you want.

  7. The VM compilation: This script generates the libraries with the VM code.

    cd build
    ./build.sh
  8. The Java wrapper compilation and Android Application packaging

    cd build
    ./package.sh
  9. Installing into your device. If you want to generate an APK file with your custom name, you will need to deal with the AndroidManifest.xml before runing the package.sh script :)

    cd build/bin
    adb install -r StackActivity-debug.apk

- Im currently working on the JIT version of the VM, that still avoiding me :).
 But you have as well the instruction on the same README-Android.me file.

 Santiago

Re: [Ann] Stack Android VM

Aliaksei Syrel
AMAZING!!!

I will definitely try to compile :)
Thanks a lot for this great work! Keep it up!

Cheers,
Alex

On 23 October 2016 at 22:03, Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Denis Kudriashov
Great.
Do you have prebuilt apk file?

[...]

Jimmie Houchin-5

Thanks for working on this.

I greatly look forward to being able to use Pharo on my devices.

Exciting times.

Jimmie Houchin

[snip]
https://github.com/sbragagnolo/pharo-vm

Re: [Ann] Stack Android VM

stepharo

I want to thank Inria to have listen to me (and it was not that simple) to let Santiago

work on that. So please use it and show us that you use it.

Stef