Annoted Workspace window take 1:

LawsonEnglish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UupaG5TB8Zc

So how should I be trying to do this or is it going outside the
boundaries of what I should expect the canned interface to do out of the
box?  If so, how do I make the box bigger?

lawson

Re: Annoted Workspace window take 1:

Chris Muller-3
Your main question is, how do I make the box bigger?  Or how to do it
automatically?  to make it bigger, you use the yellow resize handle at
lower right...

Chris Muller wrote:

> Your main question is, how do I make the box bigger?  Or how to do it
> automatically?  to make it bigger, you use the yellow resize handle at
> lower right...
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UupaG5TB8Zc
>>

>> So how should I be trying to do this or is it going outside the boundaries
>> of what I should expect the canned interface to do out of the box?  If so,
>> how do I make the box bigger?

I didn't ask that very well. I meant, how do I make the box bigger that
I'm trying to think outside of (it took me a while to figure out what I
was trying to say :-/ ).

Mixed metaphors and all that.

Anyway, I figured out a few of my issues (though not perfectly): I can
create a workspace window and embed a painting morph within it and sorta
not paint outside the boundaries of the window. I can add little buttons
in the tile bar to switch modes between coding and annotating, etc.

Various glitches include: being able to set the size of the window so
small that the border is obscured by the paint area so I have to use
halos instead of the window border to resize the window larger; not
having any feedback for switching between coding/annotating mode; etc.

Thanks for yor feedback.

Re: Annoted Workspace window take 1:

Chris Muller-3
You may want to consider dragging out a plain Text rather than a
workspace window..  It's lighter-weight, but it might work better,
since I doubt workspace was written with the idea of embedding morphs
in it..

In Maui's text-widget, I chose to allow embedding of any object as a
"character" that flows like any other in the text..  I believe this is
possible in standard TextMorphs too..

Chris Muller wrote:

> You may want to consider dragging out a plain Text rather than a
> workspace window..  It's lighter-weight, but it might work better,
> since I doubt workspace was written with the idea of embedding morphs
> in it..
>
> In Maui's text-widget, I chose to allow embedding of any object as a
> "character" that flows like any other in the text..  I believe this is
> possible in standard TextMorphs too..

Kool. At this point, its totally in brainstorming mode. As i try to
illustrate some aspect of squeak, I'll try to facilitate the process by
adding to the morph.

I've already inspired one friend, 40ish years in the industry, to try to
work with Smalltalk again. Unfortunately, I don't do linux and the linux
docs on the wiki are probably the least intuitive so I'm still not sure
if they have squeak working yet.

Lawson